View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison
Black Dahlia is played with brushes - and about half way through I pick up a stick in my right hand and play a ride cymbal - but continue with the brush in my left hand.
Yeah, that's the most elegant way to go! Cool you're doing it this way in the studio too!

At the moment I'm working a bit on your second book, as I do from time to time. In chapter 5 (I believe) you have us play a paradiddle with the SD and the BD and do 3s, 5s and 7s with the right hand (or as I like to practice it too: with my left foot clave bell). Question: If I wanna go for the Version 2, meaning to hear everything in 3 respectively 5 or 7 - what would be the intention for that? To me it's much harder than superimposing the odd groupings over the 4/4 paradiddle so I asked myself if I should do the work to get there, or not. Should I? :)

Edit: By the way, thank you very much for those two great pieces of work, they give me so much, and the things I've mastered (pretty much the first book I think) seem to be so logical and natural to me now. I'm glad I had them signed by you once you were in Switzerland!