Ticket Prices for Muse 2012 Tour

Bad Tempered Clavier

Silver Member
The wife's a big fan of Muse and we last saw them at Wembley Stadium; even though that was 2 years ago the base price for a ticket was 40GBP. Muse have just announced an arena tour of Europe for the end of the year and despite tickets for places like Madrid and Prague going for around 40EUR (or local equivalent), the tickets for London are 55GBP (which is more like 70EUR): and we're not talking Wembley Stadium - this is at the O2 arena in Greenwich which I think is a shite venue.

What the hell happened? I mean, I know Muse have above average production costs with their sets and pyrotechnics etc, but with booking fee etc that's 60 quid to see a bloody rock band. This has been going on for a while with some acts charging ridiculous amounts for tickets - but is this exorbitant pricing limited to the UK, or is this happening everywhere? Are these costs justified in terms of touring expenses or are they assuming we're all just empty headed bimbos who will pay through the nose for what is only about a 2 hour show?

I wouldn't mind if it was like £60 to be at the front and £20 to be at the back but I don't think it works like that anymore.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/dec/07/euro-metallica-red-hot-chili-peppers-jay-z

I saw RHCP at the O2 in November and that was £60 in total, and I previously saw them in 2006 which was £40. Blame the economy as well as the lack of money bands make from CD sales these days. £55 ticket is the norm for 'big bands' these days.

Just remembered I saw Muse at the O2 Arena in I think 2010 and that was around £45/50 which wasn't too bad but it was so loud and I could barely distinguish certain things. May have been because I was near the front but this wasn't the case when I saw RHCP last year, was at the front for that too.

The wife's a big fan of Muse and we last saw them at Wembley Stadium; even though that was 2 years ago the base price for a ticket was 40GBP. Muse have just announced an arena tour of Europe for the end of the year and despite tickets for places like Madrid and Prague going for around 40EUR (or local equivalent), the tickets for London are 55GBP (which is more like 70EUR): and we're not talking Wembley Stadium - this is at the O2 arena in Greenwich which I think is a shite venue.

What the hell happened? I mean, I know Muse have above average production costs with their sets and pyrotechnics etc, but with booking fee etc that's 60 quid to see a bloody rock band. This has been going on for a while with some acts charging ridiculous amounts for tickets - but is this exorbitant pricing limited to the UK, or is this happening everywhere? Are these costs justified in terms of touring expenses or are they assuming we're all just empty headed bimbos who will pay through the nose for what is only about a 2 hour show?

I wouldn't mind if it was like £60 to be at the front and £20 to be at the back but I don't think it works like that anymore.

Mate I would pay £55 to see Muse play Knights of Cydonia, one of my favourite ever pieces of music live....just that.

You make a fair point though....I would have loved to see Morrissey here in Manchester in a few weeks time but £55 (which seems to be a standard sort of price in the UK for stadium concerts) has just priced me out really. Just can't justify it

I saw Muse at the O2 Arena in I think 2010 and that was around £45/50 which wasn't too bad but it was so loud and I could barely distinguish certain things.

I was at that gig and thought the sound was appalling. To be honest, that's part of the reason we don't want to go. We thought about Birmingham, but that's just as expensive. Although for some reason the tickets in Glasgow are £47.50 . . . madness . . . utter madness. Interesting article about Q Prime etc, but I don't see why a UK act would charge so much to play a home venue.

Even a band like Phish are only charging 60USD plus fees for their summer tour - which is steep by their standards, but they usually play for longer than most big name bands; though it wouldn't kill them to come back to Europe now and again, but that's a different matter.

I seen the Melvins for 15 US dollars, no idea what that equates to Euros.

I also seen Atmosphere for 25 dollars.

As far as big bands, I agree with lack of cd sales they probably charge more.
Keep in mind it might not be the band wanting to charge that but, the promoter, label, the venue, etc....

Tickets are more than what they used to be though.

Paid £23 to see NOFX, Less Than Jake, Snuff and Margate on Sunday at the O2 in Shephards Bush, great price for the entertainment I got.

Ticket prices are getting steep and it's not like Muse have the excuse to say that their record sales are plummeting as a result of online piracy. Last time I checked they were (unfortunately) one of the best-selling bands in the UK market.

I've heard the same rant about sports too; particularly with the Olympic (hence referred to as the 'O-word') football. Ridiculous prices to see second-string national teams turning out in the immediate aftermath of the Euros and David Beckham. The whole affair there just stinks.

On the other hand, I was very happy to buy tickets for the South Africa vs. Kent Cricket tour match on the 14th of July in Canterbury. I bought the most expensive tickets. Total cost: £15 each. Rain may affect but I'm looking forward to seeing Graeme Smith, Jacques Kallis, Dale Steyn and AB DeVilliers.

Some ticket prices aren't that bad.

Great ground at Canterbury, although the housing developments next to it have made it a strange old place I think.

Great ground at Canterbury, although the housing developments next to it have made it a strange old place I think.

I like the ground, although I do miss the tree.

I was in Canterbury for the last few days and the whole place is a fascinating hodge-podge of architecture. The new Marlowe Theatre is placed right in the middle of an historical area (I approve of the design, though) and the town centre is just otherworldly. I love the place - my family are from there. I live about an hour away.

Back