Sabian Hand Hammered logo's

evans_69

Silver Member
Might be really a bit fussy but why have they changed the sabian hand hammered logo to HH ? Or is it only on certain models, i liked the old logo and gave them a cool unique look.

I have seen a combination of the two since the mid '90s. Im not sure when the change happened or why some have Hand Hammered written out and others have just the HH. Seems to be a bit indiscriminate as far as I can tell.

My first set of Sabians back in like 1990 had the HH in block letters down by the large Sabian logo.

I have many of both designs and you can still find both if you look around a bit. I probably have about eighteen different Sabian Hand Hammered cymbals and it's probably split down the middle as to what logos are on what. If the shop has two cymbals of the same type but have different logos, I'll choose the better sounding of the two because sound is much more important to me than their logos.

Dennis

Borrowing the thread for a quick question, are all the HH cymbals hand hammered? As far as I know, the HHX line isn't hand hammered, so HHX doesn't stand for Hand Hammered X, but HH stands for Hand Hammered?

I think they are the only hand hammered cymbal from sabian, paiste and zildjian.... Also found out today that they have started using the HH logo again now on all new cymbals.

Borrowing the thread for a quick question, are all the HH cymbals hand hammered? As far as I know, the HHX line isn't hand hammered, so HHX doesn't stand for Hand Hammered X, but HH stands for Hand Hammered?

Depends on your definition of "Hand Hammered." From what I understand they are pressed into shape then are either human guided machine hammered or some of the HH and Vault cymbals are hand hammered after that.

So anyway I guess the main reason for not putting Hand Hammered anymore is that a bunch of line isn't.

Also I think all of Zildjian's cymbals are now machine hammered. If I remember correctly they have specific computer controlled patterns for some lines and others they just use a random computer patterns for others.

I do have to say the benefit to not having everything hand hammered is that the end product ends up a lot more consistent. However you usually don't end up with that "wow" cymbal either.

Last edited:
Sabian Logo????

My 20" HH medium ride has some unique stamps. I'll just show this one for now. It's on the back bottom of cymbal.
I'm new here. I'll get caught up with it all soon. For now this is my most pressing issue.
Sabian started in 1982. Does that date this cymbal at 2002?? Thing is, there are 3 other logo,
stamps that don't coincide with this stamp. Thanks for Looking.........

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,674
Re: Sabian Logo????

Yes, the 20th Anniversary cymbals date from 2002. Sabian issued a 20" HH medium ride, and a 16" AA thin crash. The top logos matched the original cymbals with model name in brush script for the HH, and hollow block for the AA and the much smaller Sabian logo.

Yes, Yes!!!!! That explains the other logos differences! Are these rare? Know what the signature is under cup is?

Attachments

• HELP.JPG
    HELP.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 1,653
  • HELP 1.JPG
    HELP 1.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,858
  • HELP 2.JPG
    HELP 2.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,638
Depends on your definition of "Hand Hammered." From what I understand they are pressed into shape then are either human guided machine hammered or some of the HH and Vault cymbals are hand hammered after that.

So anyway I guess the main reason for not putting Hand Hammered anymore is that a bunch of line isn't.

I've read differing views on how much (if any) hand hammering is done on the HHX line but to my knowledge all of the HH line has always been hand hammered regardless of the changes in logo.

Not that anyone asked, but I really don't like either the new giant HH logo or the previous "Hand Hammered" logo. They're all too big and take up too much space on the top of the cymbal. The early 90s logos were a lot more understated but I much prefer the original tiny logos best.

Nowadays, I pretty much routinely clean off all the top logos as soon as I get a new cymbal once I've decided it's a keeper.

Also I think all of Zildjian's cymbals are now machine hammered. If I remember correctly they have specific computer controlled patterns for some lines and others they just use a random computer patterns for others.

I don't think Zildjian has ever offered hand hammered cymbals other than the early Canadian-made K's.

Yes, Yes!!!!! That explains the other logos differences! Are these rare? Know what the signature is under cup is?

They were only made for one year, so I'd imagine that they're a bit uncommon but without knowing how many were made it's hard to know if they're truly rare. Of course, anything marketed as "specialanniversarylimitededitioncollectable" was probably bought up and stored for future resale, so it's a little hard to gauge the market until more come up for sale.

The signature under the bell is from the person that hammered the cymbal. As far as I know they have always done that.

Very nice. Looks like a keeper. BTW. Remember Sabian is only 30 years old.
Back in the day, a cymbalsmith would do the whole cymbal making
process himself. Then you would have a true signature.
Sabians now go thru many processes. The signature you see is signed by
the 'tester' in the 'vault' HH only. Lots of testers, but they ALL sign a cymbal with the same word:
Sabian written in Armenian.

Sabian sent me this copy. The others are from my cymbals

Attachments

• Signature Copy.JPG
    Signature Copy.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,720
  • Bell Signature.JPG
    Bell Signature.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,616
  • Signature 1.JPG
    Signature 1.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,615