Warmest Snare Drum head

I actually did have a suede on it but it didn't have enough texture for brushwork, so it made it pretty much useless to me.

Yes, those heads aren't ideal for brush work, but then again, Tony Williams could play brushes on a black dot, so....

The warmest drumhead is the one Bob Gatzen puts a hair dryer to!

REMO makes their vintage series also that are thicker than modern REMO's as in a vintage emperor is thicker than a typical REMO emperor but I would go coated for sure with whatever head you choose.

good luck,
Bonzolead

I like the Evans etched heads. The coated ones always seem to flake off. The etching also seems to have more of a sonorous quality when played with sticks.

Fiberskyn might suit you but you need to be prepared for the eventual bubbling issue they are known for. I have used them off and on for the last 10 or so years but sometimes I revert back to the coated G1. Some people feel that they sound too plastic for their tastes.

I really dry out the sound of my Gretsch wooden snares when I use the Fiberskyn with Canopus vintage unplated wires.

What kind of snare?

dmacc,
I've also used Fiberskyn off and on for the past 10 years too. I too switch back and forth between a warm vs open sound (more on mood than for particular gigs/genres.)

My question: How soon does this happen (on average)? How noticeable is it? I'm fairly sure I've had a head on a given snare for over a year a few times and never saw the bubbling issue. Are there other factors - heat, moisture, heavier hitting, etc?

thx!
radman

Remo Renaissance coated emperors. There is no substitute.

I believe those are the marching snare version originally. They took all the ringing out of all three of my snares. In fact, I bought a Pearl 13x3 brass piccolo snare and it sounds killer with a Renaissance Coated Emperor on it. And, it did exactly that--'warmed up' the sound of that little brass snare, just perfect.

Anyway that is MY preference. But if you keep this thread going long enough I'm sure you will get recommended every snare batter head ever made.

Back