Terri Lyne Carrington

Re: Terri Lyne Carrington Here!

Drummonster, I think that when it says 'here!' in the other threads it means that the actual named drummer has started the thread or posted in it, rather than 'this is the location of drummer X'.

Re: Terri Lyne Carrington Appreciation (but not actually Terri Lyne) Here!

Drummonster, I think that when it says 'here!' in the other threads it means that the actual named drummer has started the thread or posted in it, rather than 'this is the location of drummer X'.

Yes, I saw the title and got super excited! I just read about a new (or "newish") recording with Cedric Hanriot and John Patitucci that I'm looking forward to checking out.

One of many of her performances I absolutely adore is her playing on John Scofield's "Flat Out" (Johnny Vidacovich is on the recording as well). Beautiful playing that swings hard and gets a little "scrappy" at times. On the tune "Evansville" she plays this gorgeous solo over the form that is very touching, even "tender." For me, this opened up new territory for what might be possible with a drum solo.

Yes, I saw the title and got super excited!

Same here.

It's odd that no one started a TLC thread in the Drummers section before. I haven't seen much of her playing but what I've seen is top drawer. Fabulous touch and sound and she can really get around a kit.

Same here.

It's odd that no one started a TLC thread in the Drummers section before. I haven't seen much of her playing but what I've seen is top drawer. Fabulous touch and sound and she can really get around a kit.

Yes, and I believe it's worth mentioning/acknowledging all that she has done to celebrate and increase the visibility of female jazz artists e.g., (http://www.terrilynecarrington.com/mosaic/ ) as well as blazing her own innovative trail as a female jazz drummer.

..though she certainly wasn't the first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF4_jiKhuuU

:)

Re: Terri Lyne Carrington Here!

Jazz Soul Seven-Impressions of Curtis Mayfield

AMAZING!

I just discovered her recently. and she is quickly becoming one of my favorite musicians. She doesn't play incredibly complicated, but she plays focused and intense. I love it.

Back