Evans Coated G2's for POWER!

PeniScott

Silver Member
As it pretty much says in the title i want some G2's at some point soon. I've got some relatively new Hydraulics on at the moment though so they'll last a while.

I know aaron gillespie uses coated G2's and i love the sound of his toms, especially the floor toms. And also coated looks great in my opinion.

Or are they not as durable as one might think?
xoxo

Coated G2s are very durable. Great overall head. A lot of drummers on here use the coated G2 over clear G1 combo. You'll like it.

Yeah i've heard it's a great combo, i may need to put on the G1 resos soon, i've still got the stock ones on my kit :S

thanks for the info
xoxo

Bear in mind that coated G2s will not be anywhere near as forgiving of poor tuning as hydraulics.

Yeah i'm aware that G2's, other coated heads and in fact most others aren't as easy to tune as the Hydraulics, but given time to settle in they'll sound great as new heads do!
xoxo

Also keep in mind you may not achieve the same sound as the drummer you mentioned unless you have the exact same kit and person tuning it. If it's a recording you've heard there is a ton of post production stuff done to the sound and there is even the possibility that he didn't even use that setup when recording. Just something to think about. Also for what it's worth on my kit no matter how I tuned it coated heads just don't sound good on it, clear heads sing coated's sound muddy.

I'm fully aware of kit differences, personal preferences in tuning, studio EQ's, the tonal difference between coated and clear and all the rest of it. After many different head changes before i don't just dive straight in the deep end.

Which is why it's also important to say that i tried my friends kit today that had G2's on it besides the snare (which was an Onyx) and i loved it. Sure it's a different kit but i retuned them to how i like and i loved the sound.

Sure, it was a different kit with different plies and wood etc, but even so i still believe that 70% of a drums sound comes from the heads (unless the materials greatly differ, such as one kit of mahogany or birch then another of steel).

xoxo

I'm fully aware of kit differences, personal preferences in tuning, studio EQ's, the tonal difference between coated and clear and all the rest of it. After many different head changes before i don't just dive straight in the deep end.

Which is why it's also important to say that i tried my friends kit today that had G2's on it besides the snare (which was an Onyx) and i loved it. Sure it's a different kit but i retuned them to how i like and i loved the sound.

Sure, it was a different kit with different plies and wood etc, but even so i still believe that 70% of a drums sound comes from the heads (unless the materials greatly differ, such as one kit of mahogany or birch then another of steel).

xoxo

In my opinion, more than 90% of the drum's sound comes from the way they are tuned. The other percentage is the heads, shells and hardware. I just got finished doing a head change on my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit. I decided to give Evans G1 coated batter heads a try on this kit. It has massive bottom end, resonance and sustain. I just hope I don't have to do a punch in from last week's tracks, lol. I was using G2 clear batter heads and they also sounded very nice.

Btw, I have Evans G2 coated heads on my vintage Pearl kit and they sound great. Like I said, much of what you're trying to get out of the drums is in the tuning.

DSC_0253.jpg

Dennis

Back