Tre' Cool

Like alot of early 90's punk/new wave, Tré's drumming featured fast up beat tempo's, with catchy beats and fills. Tré's the true "get in your stuck in your head drum part" drummer :D

I agree. I like their old stuff a lot better. Dookie, Nimrod, Warning, etc. Some of my favorite's are Welcome To Paradise, Basketcase, Warning, When I Come Around, and Minority. It's not that I don't like their newer image/music, It's just, well....I don't know. It doesn't appeal to me as much.

I agree. I like their old stuff a lot better. Dookie, Nimrod, Warning, etc. Some of my favorite's are Welcome To Paradise, Basketcase, Warning, When I Come Around, and Minority. It's not that I don't like their newer image/music, It's just, well....I don't know. It doesn't appeal to me as much.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i do actually think he is a good drummer.
only that because i love the solo across all toms in the song 'american idiot'
that has got to be the only part of him that i like. also the dact that he isnt afraid
of goin crazy and doing fast stuff on stage and recording stuff.
their new songs and album dont appeal to me at all, they have totally gone from being
a unique band to a boring common band.
i loved their Dookie and bolevard of broken dreams [how ever they spell it]. they really
were a good band but now when i hear them i just turn it off.

pinky x

Boulevard of Broken Dreams is from 'American Idiot' the album you so hate.

Dookie is great though...

i feel late saying this but. tre cool is deffinetly a great punk drummer. great drumming has nothing to do with speed or flashy-ness. it's all about keeping time. if you can keep a beat, i think you're a good drummer. but tre can plase a beat add good fills and come up with simple stuff. but at the same time good stuff. he's not endorced because he's in a poplar band. he's endorced because he's a good drummer. if my band was popular but i sucked, i most likely wouldn't be endorced. so the reason i think tre's good because he's simple enough to be awsome. if that makes sence. but barker, freese, willard, parsons and all the good punk drummers aren't endorced because of the popularity, because of their playing. tre's one of my idols and influences. the first song i could play was christy road. i just think he's a good all around drummer.

Tre is probably one of the first people that made me want to play drums, i dont think Green Day would be the same without him, his personality is hilarious. His stuff usually isnt too complicated but is alot fun to play

YOU'RE ALL NUTS!

Tre Cool is REALLY GOOD! Of course the stuff he playsi n Green Day is simple. Their music is simple with political lyrics. If you actually knew much about Tre, you'd know he does hardcore jazz with another band with craaaaazzzzyyyyy drumming. That's why his beat are so hoppy. He incorporates his jazz background into what he plays, and no its not bass on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4. That's absurd. He plays many sixteenth notes in most of his songs and he plays his fill with grace. I've never seen him mess-up at a performance and he plays what he plays with EASE. That's why he's good. He makes faces and thinks about other stuff while playing. ITS EASY FOR HIM. He has had 20 years of experience + and is muc hbetter than most people know. He is ticketed off as simple because no one has heard is other stuff.

Tre' Cool, he is good. A good drummer in my opinion. And he is in the lime light because of Green Day.
You have to remember, the reason kids say "HE IS THE BEST" is simply because they dont know better. Not to say he is good, but again, when coming down to the root of drumming, and the root of their songs for GD, he does his part because that what it calls for.
I remember looking at Lars and T.Lee growing up and saying, WOW i will never be able to play double bass, or do those fills, MAN how do they get their drums to sound that way... Then as I got older, i was introduced to Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, and believe you me, my focus went from playing fast and hard, to playing with feeling and playing with ease...

What im trying to say is music is a beautiful thing, and if Tre Cool gets kids playing drums, then hey, more power to him. I only wish we could all be on the level he is at playing shows and being endoursed!

Green Day as a band is good, I will say this though, they can put on a hell of a concert. Saw them live, and I really believe that the show really sold itself! Goes to show you, bands that needs lighting, fireworks, smoke screens, and etc, compared to bands and drummers you see playing a jazz club like Yoshi's in Oakland Ca, where Steve Smith, Weckl, Gadd have all played.................. the rest is in the eye of the beholder.

What I like about Tré Cool is the fact that he really play with the music and it's why his drum parts is too interesting. We can take by example "Wake me up when september end", the thing that he do on his floor tom with a mallet his so sweet, like the rest of the song: hold a simple beat with some single 16th notes fills, and anyone can say that he sucks for that.

Tre' cool plays only simple stuff, but he makes it sound really good and he really does play with the music. I think he gives people what they just want to hear.

I respect Tre Cool a lot. He plays a small kit yet imparts a tremendous amount of energy into the band's sound. He's a perfect example of how less can be more, imo. He's fast, tight, confident and his rhythms are infectious. His sound answers the other musicians perfectly.

I disagree that Green Day made him famous, and think it might even be argued the other way 'round. He's a huge part of their sound.

What I like about Tré Cool is the fact that he really play with the music and it's why his drum parts is too interesting. We can take by example "Wake me up when september end", the thing that he do on his floor tom with a mallet his so sweet, like the rest of the song: hold a simple beat with some single 16th notes fills, and anyone can say that he sucks for that.

he sucks...

Bit of a try hard. There are better, he's small fry.

he sucks...

Bit of a try hard. There are better, he's small fry.

He doesnt suck. Find a song from Green Day where the drum part isn't perfect.
If it weren't for him, Green Day probably wouldn't be popular.

He doesnt suck. Find a song from Green Day where the drum part isn't perfect.
If it weren't for him, Green Day probably wouldn't be popular.

Did I say anything about him not playing his parts perfectly?
What he plays any grade 5 primary school drum student could play.
Green Day is a little kids try hard band beause they think they're all hard core listening to them. The band is ridiculous and never has any good drumming in it. Maybe they come up with good riffs which make it onto the charts every now and then but Tre Cool could be replaced with ease. And to keep on beat requires only a small mind and possibly a little ticking metronome in the background. Your point isn't valid, he still sucks.

Did I say anything about him not playing his parts perfectly?
What he plays any grade 5 primary school drum student could play.
Green Day is a little kids try hard band beause they think they're all hard core listening to them. The band is ridiculous and never has any good drumming in it. Maybe they come up with good riffs which make it onto the charts every now and then but Tre Cool could be replaced with ease. And to keep on beat requires only a small mind and possibly a little ticking metronome in the background. Your point isn't valid, he still sucks.

If his parts are perfect, his drumming is perfect. The song calls for what he plays. If he was replaced with Travis Barker, Green Day would NOT be a popular band. Anyone could probably play his beats and fills they are not complicated, but it's what the song calls for. Green Day is a band based on the lyrics, not complex instrumentals. Kind of like the Beatles.

Green Day is a band based on the lyrics, not complex instrumentals. Kind of like the Beatles.

That made me chuckle.

I disagree on two points. Firstly, Green Day isn't a band based on lyrics. There are some brilliant lyricists out there (e.g. Andrew Bird, James Russel Mercer, Conor Oberst- and that's just contemporary music), but ole' Bill Armstrong ins't one of them. Their music is based around his ability to rearrange his limited chord lexicon, not his verbal one.

Secondly, I am not sure that I agree that the Beatles music was based around lyrics. They were Lennon and McCartney wrote some fantastic lyrics, but they also revolutionized the musical world with all their production ideas and such.

Back on topic though, I will admit that I think Tre is a pretty good drummer. When I first started playing I was pretty inspired by his stuff.

If his parts are perfect, his drumming is perfect. The song calls for what he plays. If he was replaced with Travis Barker, Green Day would NOT be a popular band. Anyone could probably play his beats and fills they are not complicated, but it's what the song calls for. Green Day is a band based on the lyrics, not complex instrumentals. Kind of like the Beatles.

Correct, the band isn't known for Tre Gay it's just soccer mums and their little kids who think they're hardcore listening to it on the way to do their weekly grocery shopping that makes them popular. Unless you are 'good' at an instrument you have a good sense of music, not wanna-bes. This thread is ridiculous, he's not a signifcant drummer that you can actually talk about his postitive stand out points, so it shouldn't exist. Some emo tryhard music they broadcast easily sucks people in these days because barley anyone has a sense of good music, like Slipknot is the new emo-girl band that everyone thinks they're hardcore if they listen to it because they wear masks, scream, etc. Everything is to publicised, like Tre, it's not all that 'good'.

Correct, the band isn't known for Tre Gay it's just soccer mums and their little kids who think they're hardcore listening to it on the way to do their weekly grocery shopping that makes them popular. ...

That's a rather sweeping generalization to make about the audience of one of the most popular punk bands ever, isn't it? You've said this a couple of times, which kinda makes me wonder who really has something to prove by how "hardcore" the music is that they listen to.

... This thread is ridiculous, he's not a signifcant drummer that you can actually talk about his postitive stand out points, so it shouldn't exist. ...

Guess the conversation's over, eh? The final authority has spoken.

Correct, the band isn't known for Tre Gay it's just soccer mums and their little kids who think they're hardcore listening to it on the way to do their weekly grocery shopping that makes them popular. Unless you are 'good' at an instrument you have a good sense of music, not wanna-bes. This thread is ridiculous, he's not a signifcant drummer that you can actually talk about his postitive stand out points, so it shouldn't exist. Some emo tryhard music they broadcast easily sucks people in these days because barley anyone has a sense of good music, like Slipknot is the new emo-girl band that everyone thinks they're hardcore if they listen to it because they wear masks, scream, etc. Everything is to publicised, like Tre, it's not all that 'good'.

You don't get it, Tre plays the most perfect fills. I wouldn't say that metal drummers play fitting beats all the time. What do you listen to? Tre's beats simply cannot get any better. And he also never plays off time, or hes using a click track. Your "theory" about soccer moms and kids listening to Green Day isn't strong enough to win against my point.
Some emo tryhard music they broadcast easily sucks people in these days because barley anyone has a sense of good music, like Slipknot is the new emo-girl band that everyone thinks they're hardcore if they listen to it because they wear masks, scream, etc. Everything is to publicised, like Tre, it's not all that 'good'.
Well the majority of the people like "pop" or popular music, and makes you the minority.

Back