Donny Gruendler here!

Hey Toza,
I suppose that would be up to you. Originally, I developed the time, sound and form exercises for backbeat based grooves. However, there is nothing to say that you couldn't apply these same principles of the excercise (the snare/kick, snare/kick/cymbals, 1 handed 16ths and 8th grooves) alongside your non-standard (I.e. non- 2 & 4 based) grooves.

If you do decide to move forward - please send me some transcriptions. I would love to see how you elaborated on these concepts. Best of luck!
Donny

Hi Donny. This "Time, sound and form stuff" is sick! Can you share with drummerworld community some foot pattern to go with this. Some patterns that you found very hard to play (that are very beneficial) I tried to play all basic patterns, but i need some more advanced. Thanx

Hello Jungle,
I apologize for my tardy reply. I've been doing quite a bit of traveling this summer w/ Rhett Frazier Inc and I have been lax in my forum participation.

Although, I'm glad that you are enjoying my Time, Sound and Form exercises! Thus, I have attached a PDF from my Hudson Music "Private Lessons" Video that contains many of the BD patterns from the T,S and F video. There are:
-- (15) 16th based groupings formed on beats 1&3
-- (7) 16th based groupings formed on beats 2&4

Once you have worked through these - you can combine them into longer 4 beat phrases. I.e. Combining no. 1 (from beats 1&3) and (A) from beats 2 and 4. Altogether this forms the grouping of: 1-2e-3-4e. ** For those of you in D.World familiar - this combination of groupings is reminiscent of Mr. Gary Chaffee's Fat-Back methodology (from Time Functioning Patterns).

Should you need further clarification w/ these -- feel free to email me at donny (at) donny gruendler (dot) com.

Attachments

• GruendlerPrivateLessons lowres.pdf
    165.1 KB · Views: 465
Looks like a spammer just posted. Even so, it gave me a chance to revisit Donny's page and his words of wisdom. Plus I just downloaded a really good PDF he posted over 5 years ago!

Back