Realistic drum pads

Bopshizzle

My HQ Real Feel pad, ironically enough, doesn't feel real and the extreme amount of un-natural rebound does something funky that makes my arms hurt and I feel that the techniques I learn on that pad isn't applicable to the drum set because of the rebound.

Therefore, I'm looking for a new drum pad with a natural amount of rebound (about the same as a snare drum tuned moderately tight) and preferably at least 10" big. Any suggestions?

The idea of an all purpose "realistic" pad doesn't really work. Your hi hats and floor tom feel quite different after all. The advantage of a pad that rebounds is that it gives you the opportunity to develop finger control since you don't have to grab the stick to pick it up. A mushy pad will not allow you to develop the all important finger control. With good finger control trained you'll always have enough finger control ready to go for as much is applicable given the drum or cymbal you're playing. And with loose hands you should never feel pain no matter what surface you're playing on.

My HQ Real Feel pad, ironically enough, doesn't feel real and the extreme amount of un-natural rebound does something funky that makes my arms hurt and I feel that the techniques I learn on that pad isn't applicable to the drum set because of the rebound.

Therefore, I'm looking for a new drum pad with a natural amount of rebound (about the same as a snare drum tuned moderately tight) and preferably at least 10" big. Any suggestions?

I think you're doing something wrong. With the proper technique, you shouldn't be feeling any pain regardless of what you're playing on. Have you had a competent teacher look at what you're doing?

My drumming instructor creates his own pads and sells them, he's been doing this for over 20 years and I love mine! Ive tried other practice pads being sold, a few Vic Firths and Remo's and many others as well as the HQ and I've chosen to stick with my own as I love how it feels, a decent level of rebound, not too bouncy at all and I feel it almost perfectly reflects the feel of playing a snare.

Before you go buy a new pad, you could try putting a towel on top of your existing pad to lessen the bounce a bit. You can add more or fewer towels to get the right feel.

Back