TAMA HP30 Single pedal

Dignan

Silver Member
I'm looking for a cheap pedal to put on my practice kit so I'm not always switching my DW3000 between my real kit and practice kit. I just need something that works decently. Does anyone have anything to say about this pedal, good or bad?
GC is having a sale on these for $30. TAMA HP130. If I get this I'll be purchasing it sight unseen online which makes me a bit nervous but its only $30 bucks if its a total POS. Seems like a good deal and even though it's their low end pedal, its a TAMA.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-Standard-Bass-Drum-Pedal-108873654-i2976912.gc

Depends how picky you are about a pedal, I guess. For $30 brand new, you probably can't go wrong - if nothing breaks on it right away.

Actually it's not a POS. It's quite solid and playable. Think of it as an Iron Cobra Jr. Without the plate. If you know how to play, I doubt anything will break. I think it's actually better than what you have.

Actually it's not a POS. It's quite solid and playable. Think of it as an Iron Cobra Jr. Without the plate. If you know how to play, I doubt anything will break. I think it's actually better than what you have.

Thanks Bo. If you're right, and I end up liking the entry level TAMA pedal better, maybe I'll trade my DW3000 in for another one. The DW3000 sure was more expensive though

I don't play very hard on my bass drum. I've been working on unburying the beater and playing quicker, lighter strokes so hopefully a lightweight pedal like this won't be a problem for me.

Does anyone know if GC takes returns on internet puchases? In case it isn't what I'm looking for?

I'll bet it'll work out just fine for you, and you can't beat the price, that's for sure.
Enlarge the pic, and everything looks pretty standard.
I'm just a little nervous about low cost Tama stuff since I bought that low end throne and it broke after a few months of use.

Don't know about GC's online return policy - best to check with them.

its more than plenty for a practice pedal. like Bo said, its a iron cobra jr. without the bottom plate

ive had my ICJR for over 10 years and hasnt broken once, just needs a tune-up though.

I'll bet it'll work out just fine for you, and you can't beat the price, that's for sure.
Enlarge the pic, and everything looks pretty standard.
I'm just a little nervous about low cost Tama stuff since I bought that low end throne and it broke after a few months of use.

Don't know about GC's online return policy - best to check with them.

i bought a tama throne (together with the ICJR) and its still around. the seat is hard as hell though. road-pro i think it is

Thanks everyone. I think I'll pull the trigger. Just can't beat that price

EDIT: It's in the mail. I will update everyone with a little review once its here.

Last edited:
Thanks Bo. If you're right, and I end up liking the entry level TAMA pedal better, maybe I'll trade my DW3000 in for another one. The DW3000 sure was more expensive though

I don't play very hard on my bass drum. I've been working on unburying the beater and playing quicker, lighter strokes so hopefully a lightweight pedal like this won't be a problem for me.

Does anyone know if GC takes returns on internet puchases? In case it isn't what I'm looking for?

Well DW is the "hot" brand for now but they use the same pot metal everybody else does. Before they were so sought after they sold stuff cheaper and when they fall out of favor, they will again. It's a cycle.

And yes, GC takes returns.

I just sold one of these HP30s for $15. Got it in a deal for other hardware.

it's a decent pedal, reminds me of the old DW's.

So GC ended up being out of stock after I purchased this. So I went ahead and upgraded my purchase a bit to a TAMA IC 200 for about $69. I believe the 200 is just the IC Junior re-marketed. It sort of looks like the Jr with the baseplate. As Bo alluded to. I'll let you know how it plays.

*sigh*...a little late to the party but...

I've been buying up the "old" Tama pedals (which are similar to the Camco HP35 style/design just like HP30) because they are simple, portable, and WORK. It's a tried and proven design, well engineered and offers portability not seen much anymore. (Funny, there was a time when all hardware was designed for portability and light weight...ahhh the good old days!).

I have two IC (flex and chain), an IC Jr. with base plate, and three of the older models. My ICs sit home on my practice kit/s and the "lightweight" amateur pedals go into my trap case-haha. They are small enough I can pack two in the space of a single full-size IC.

Seriously, they are a 'great little pedal' that I would have no problem using as my main pedal-unless you are playing extreme metal....

Could be wrong, but I don't think they take returns on discounted items. Might be some other website though, not sure.

I got the IC 200 in the mail yesterday. As I said a few posts up, GC ended up being out of the HP30 model so I opted for the next step up. It's essentially the newer version of the IC Junior (an HP30 with a baseplate).

Pretty good pedal. Still messing with settings to get it to feel right and to get it to feel as close as possible to my DW3000 settings. I will say, the 3000 seems a bit smoother but the beater on the 3000 also seems heavier. The 200 has the powerglide cam also so that's going to feel different from the 3000's standard (round) cam, right? The IC200 seems to stop rocking much quicker than the 3000 when I pull on the beaters simultaneously. Is it possible I should lube the 200's bearings or something?

Overall I like it and will keep it. Again, it's for my practice kit but I want it to be as similar as possible in feel to my DW3000.

So after putting some miles on my new TAMA IC 200 (new version of the IC Jr), I've noticed a significant difference in feel between my DW 3000 and the TAMA IC 200. It seems that no matter how much I tinker with spring tension I can't get them to feel the same.

I think this can be attributed to the IC having a power glide cam and the DW having a rolling glide cam. I think I do better with the rolling glide. Is it possible/easy to replace the cam on the IC to a rolling glide to match my DW3000?

So after putting some miles on my new TAMA IC 200 (new version of the IC Jr), I've noticed a significant difference in feel between my DW 3000 and the TAMA IC 200. It seems that no matter how much I tinker with spring tension I can't get them to feel the same.

I think this can be attributed to the IC having a power glide cam and the DW having a rolling glide cam. I think I do better with the rolling glide. Is it possible/easy to replace the cam on the IC to a rolling glide to match my DW3000?

From what I know of Tama pedals, the hex bar is the same size for all of them. So if you managed to find one of their Camco pedals with a rolling chain sprocket, you could swap them out. I actually have the Camco sprocket with a chain if you want to buy it. PM me.

From what I know of Tama pedals, the hex bar is the same size for all of them. So if you managed to find one of their Camco pedals with a rolling chain sprocket, you could swap them out. I actually have the Camco sprocket with a chain if you want to buy it. PM me.

Thanks for the offer Bo. I'm going to look around a bit first. Ironically I saw someone selling IC cams on craigslist a few months ago. They aren't still for sale but maybe something will pop up again. My other option is to try and trade it in for something with a rolling glide.

I'm giong to experiment some more with some different single bass exercises on both pedals to make sure I'm not just imaging this, but it feels like I get a bit more responsiveness from my rolling glide DW pedal. Probably just because I'm used to it though.

I guess my real question is am I worrying too much about the difference between a power glide and rolling glide pedal? In other words, if I practice on a power glide (about 90% of my playing) then go to my real kit with the rolling glide...will things feel "off?"

The other option I'm considering is returning the IC 200 to GC and just getting another pedal with a rolling glide to match my rolling glide DW3000. I have heard a lot of good things about Yamaha pedals so I was looking at the Yamaha 7210. Anyone have anytihng bad to say about them? GC will give a full refund on my IC 200 if I take it to my local store. It's worth about $70.

Back