Bass Drum and Floor Tom Pitch Separation

The separation between my bass drum and floor tom is usually no more than a 1/2 inch, otherwise I couldn't reach the floor tom. As far as the pitch, they are at 90 degree angles to each other (one vertical and one horizontal).

This made my day...
IMHO, your 16" tom is at a medium tuning, and way too muffled :). Your kick could sound really phat with less muffling as well, and a tighter reso. But the kick is definitely lower (a 3rd sounds right), you're just not getting any of the low rumble because you probably muffled it all out. You're just hearing slap attack!

I've since demuffled my kit a bit. I do however have to keep it muffled so that my parents don't kill me for being too loud :)

That makes sense. I'm sorry the recordings are so bad. I'm not audio pro. :(

Also, I tune my toms into like a chord (roughly) so they are about every other note or so in difference. Or at least that's what I try for. Makes for cool effects since they sorta harmonize. Especially the 13" and 16".

I also find it funny how this went from "HELP! My floor tom sounds lower than my kick!" to "yer toms sound baaaaaaad..." Haha

Your 13" and 16" are tuned a 4th apart, at least that's what I'm hearing, and that is a nice interval, it sounds musical. The point is, all your toms should have nice and even intervals. :)

If I were to tune a tom configuration such as yours, I'd likely go for 10" D, 12" A, 13" E, and 16" B. That would be a 4th between every drum.

Maybe I'm wrong but the attack will be loud not the resonance. Your toms sound dead to me not just muffled. They will sound more like drums with some resonance.

My tuning choice is something like "More Than A Feeling" by Boston for the 16, 13, and 12 (if that makes sense) . Then I just stack the 10" where it sounds "right". I might try your notes next time I change heads. :)

Try letting things "breeze" and resonate much more. You can hit less hard so your parents aren't bothered . Drums will sound livelye lr and more fun to play.

Back