Tom & Snare heads: What do you use?

Funnyman

What do the majority of you drummers use for your heads. What's the difference between G2 coated or hydraulic heads? I use Evan heads for my toms, and Remo for my snares.

Remo Vintage E's over Vintage A's on my toms.
Remo coated Emperor's over Ambassador Snare Side's on my snares.
(And soon to be) A Remo coated Emperor over a coated Ambassador on my bass drum.

G2s are two-ply, something mil heads.(Can't remember)
Hydraulics are very pre-muffled, something ply, something mil heads.(Can't remember that one either...)

Have you ever used Remo Pristine Twin Batter heads for the toms?

Have you ever used Remo Pristine Twin Batter heads for the toms?

Nope, I've got 69' Vintage Ludwigs, so I decided to go with the vintage versions of classic heads.

What do the majority of you drummers use for your heads. What's the difference between G2 coated or hydraulic heads? I use Evan heads for my toms, and Remo for my snares.

I swear by Remo coated Ambassadors on my Ludwig's. I've used the Remo pin stripes, Evans, Ludwig, but nothing sounds as good as the coated Ambassadors. I have 9 toms( the Ludwig octa plus set). I don't use any damping on my toms or snare, and they give me the perfect sound, every time.

I'm really boring.

Coated Ambs on everything, sometimes clear resos on toms, coated PS3 on BD.

Hey, it just works.

Single ply coated or clear for the tops. Single ply clear for the bottoms. Whichever company is nearest to the front door of the shop.

I'm disappointed to admit I haven't actually done anything with my drums as far as tom choices go. My snare batter broke a while back and I replaced that with a coated Remo Ambassador - original, no? - but I've only recently started looking and considering other options. I'm leaning towards getting hold of an Evans Hydraulic head for one of my mounted toms and maybe pairing that with something more conventional on the other.

Snare: Powerstroke 3 over Dip snare side on the snare

Toms: For jazz I run Fiberskyn over Fiberskyn. Warm those babies up! For everything else Coated Emps over Clear Ambs.

Remo Emperor clear on tom batter, Evans Black Reso's on toms, Evans HD Dry on snare batter, Remo Ambassador hazy on snare side, Powerstroke 3 clear on BD batter, Evans EQ3 on BD reso.

evans ec 2s on the toms, evans emad on the bass drum. but i'm always experimenting with snare drum batter heads.

DW collector's kit with either coated vintage emerors or clear emperors on top of toms, clear ambassadors on the bottom. Coated vintage emp or coated G2 on snare, hazy ambassador snare side. Clear PS3 on kick.

Back