Installed my bass drum tom mount!

I guess I brutally raped my kick drum with the DIY internal pressure muffling system I mounted inside mine. I have no regrets whatsoever.
You should stand trial for that!
There are some sacred things left that we have to preserve!

Just Kidding!

Hey - so I in my red-eye frustration last night I did not see that one of the mounting screws for the base plate is SHORTER than the other three! Dammit! Now I'm off to go find a slightly longer screw for sure. This negates my earlier question of losing the under plate.

Amazing what you see when you're all wide awake after a good night's sleep, eh?

All right - here it is! The new bass drum mount and the new cymbal stands. My physical footprint has gotten smaller, and all this hardware will now fit in one of my small trap cases. Life has just become easier to move this guy around. Perhaps I don't need that Safari afterall....

tom-mnt-web.jpg

Attachments

• kit-frnt.jpg
    kit-frnt.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 845
  • kit-back.jpg
    kit-back.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 897
All right - here it is! The new bass drum mount and the new cymbal stands. My physical footprint has gotten smaller, and all this hardware will now fit in one of my small trap cases. Life has just become easier to move this guy around. Perhaps I don't need that Safari afterall....

You da man, Bo.

I'm going this direction. Also - you and I live within 1 hr. drive (you work at Disneyland right? - I'm in Woodland Hills). I've used Pro Drum for other stuff but will definitely consider them if I put floor tom legs on my Yamaha MCAN. That idea is aflame in my head as I want everything lighter. MCAN's are lighter drums than Gretsch. Drop the 9000 tom stands gets some flat base cymbal stands and suddenly a flight of stairs seems a little shorter. LOL!

Jim

My God Bo, You ruined that kit!
I was only kidding when I told you to drill the bass drum.
I didn't think that you would do it.
OMG!

Attachments

• Photo on 2011-03-06 at 22.42.jpg
    Photo on 2011-03-06 at 22.42.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 997
The horror... the horror....

View attachment 39594

What brand is that stand with your right side crash? Is that the Gibraltar too? The legs look twice as long as your left side crash stand. Especially in the shot from behind the kit. Or is that an optical illusion?

What brand is that stand with your right side crash? Is that the Gibraltar too? The legs look twice as long as your left side crash stand. Especially in the shot from behind the kit. Or is that an optical illusion?

It's an optical illusion. It's melding in with the snare stand leg. I didn't catch that until after I posted it up! They're all Gibraltars.

You do realize that you have violated a... VIRGIN!... DON'T YOU!... WELL DON'T YOU!!!

Man, I was so inspired by your sacrifice that today, i took my 16" rack tom (the ONLY one of my toms that actually had a YESS mount on it)... and put floor tom legs on it so that I could lug around one less stand. And you know what? That thing has some SUSTAIN now. DOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooong. Sounds AWESOME. Thanks, Bo.

Man, I was so inspired by your sacrifice that today, i took my 16" rack tom (the ONLY one of my toms that actually had a YESS mount on it)... and put floor tom legs on it so that I could lug around one less stand. And you know what? That thing has some SUSTAIN now. DOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooong. Sounds AWESOME. Thanks, Bo.

You're welcome! I'm glad to be of some service to my fellow drummer friends. Now if Sonor can start sending me checks for helping them sell Safari kits I'd be all set! Another guy on YouTube told me he just bought one because of my video. Pretty soon Safari kits will roam the land like buffalo...

Your bass drum is no longer a virgin XD that's awesome though, I was thinking about doing that to the same kit. I'm glad some1 else is just as "crazy" as me

Your bass drum is no longer a virgin XD that's awesome though, I was thinking about doing that to the same kit. I'm glad some1 else is just as "crazy" as me

Well, to re-kindle an old argument, the sound difference between a virgin bass and a non-virgin bass is negligible. And usually, there's some kind of muffling going in the bass drum that completely negates having a virgin bass drum anyway. Even you played it wide-open like Keith Carlock, there are still so many overtones present that you couldn't tell if it was virgin or not. The transport and set-up advantages totally out-weigh the virgin bass drum concept. I play drums - not an erector set ;)

The argument will never end.
I also can't really tell the difference.
I have no problem with mounting toms and cymbal holders on a bass drum.
Especially for a live performance.
For a recording studio kit I understand, but for general playing it makes no real sense to worry about such small things.

Back