someone says you suck at drums, what do u do?

.anyone who feels compelled to say that probably is not very good. .

Yes I agree. No decent drummer would feel compelled to say such a thing. Also, perhaps he's just bitter about something... possibly even saw you as a threat.

someone at my school who had played drums for like 5 months said this to someone else about me

then the guy told me

and i was like "lol"

comparing musician is really dumb anyway, cos although they may sound awful, they may being doing what they are trying to do perfectly

just forget about it or laugh at them wen u here them play xD

"There's no such thing as failure, only feedback." I'm pretty much living with this quote everyday of my life now. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. In fact, I love to hear all opinions about my playing and my band from people who aren't musicians. What this guy said was his opinion, but he chose to express it very poorly. And if you judged it based on the situation, you'd see that his opinion was skewed, not valid, in fact he might've not even been commenting on your drumming ability, but venting frustration on something entirely separate!

There's absolutely no reason to get in a fight with him, it wouldn't have made you feel better (by much =P)

People who say stuff like that are a joke. Drumming and percussion are about your journey. Who cares if someone thinks they're better then you, or even are better than you. There will always be someone better than you out there. As long as you are improving and know there is room for improvement, then you are a real drummer/percussionist. I recently read an article in DRUM! magazine about Carter Beauford. I have been a major DMB fan for years, and to see a post Leroi interview from Carter was awesome. In the interview, Carter said that the reason he is as good as he is, is because he still practices his craft just as much as he did when he first started. That's a true drummer/percussionist. When you know your journey is never over. If someone ever tells you that you suck, or that they are better than you... just smile and say "I'm sure you are..." and walk away. There is no need for confrontation with such an immature person.

. .visit their gravesite on the high holy days.

I'd have politely said, "I appreciate your opinion. Isn't it a wonderful thing that we're all entitled to one...even jacka_ _es like yourself?"

Then I'd have given him a wink and walked away without saying another word.

Attempting conversation with someone like that is absolutely pointless. Why would you want to anyway? Most of us have been there at one time or another.

Chin up, bud.

Cheers!

Definitely congratulate him.

"Hey, I heard that about you, that you are a great drummer. Yeah, we were just talking about that, how great you are."

Like others have stated above, simply thank him or agree with him: "yes i do suck" and walk off. You take the wind out of his sails.

i dunno if you've ever heard he/she play before, but if you have and know for a fact you are better then who gives a shit?

i would gladly step aside from the kit and ask them to demonstrate where my "trouble spots" are. and most likely he/she wont know and theyll just end up looking stupid

Being a drummer you have to have thick-skin sometimes, Consider the source and don't. worry about it.
Use that comment as a push to be better,stronger,faster like the six-million man LOL

Bonzolead

I would have offered to buy him a beer, then sit and ask him what about my playing sucked. As he is talking I would take my Bud Light 12oz bottle and smash it over his head. Then politely ask him to please go on.

People like that are usually not worth the time or effort but every now and then someone has to show them what an ass they are and take one for the good guys. He may kick my azz afterwards (doubtful but certainly possible) but he will always remember the time the drummer smashed a beer bottle over his head for being a jerk, although if he is a real seasoned jerk he will choose not to remember why but he will remember it in any event.

i just wanna see what people would do if someone went up to your face and said "you are a really crappy drummer. i mean, im better than you."

Challenge him to a fight by the jungle gym after school? I mean, he is obviously 8 years old. You might also consider shaking him down for his milk money until he gets the message. Otherwise, why would you care about the opinion of someone who acts like this?

Be sure it's a bad drummer.

I never heard a featured Drummerworld drummer bash another drummer - they don't need to do so...lol

Bernhard

i just wanna see what people would do if someone went up to your face and said "you are a really crappy drummer. i mean, im better than you."

Id feel sorry for them - the fact that its so important that they take time out of their day to come up and tell me.

... And then to believe that I might CARE what they say. At the end of the day, Im the one getting gigs, and their opinion really isnt taking anything out of my career.

Comments like that smack of insecurity and jealousy. Ignore them.

You're all really crap at drums, I mean, I better than you all!

Yea thats right, what you gonna do about it?

I guy named Freebird can't scare me!

Just kiddin' pal of course. And you probably are better.

I think the best answer for the original guy would have been "Excuse me, I have a gig."

Oh i would love this if it happened to me, i love it when people get negative with no real reason to or offer any constructive criticism. Nearly every band that my band has played with, the drummer will 9 out of 10 times come up and shake my hand and congratulate me and complement my playing. I in turn do the same as always and be polite. I always try to remember a part of their paying that i really enjoyed and engage in conversation with it and see what they have to say about it.

On topic, Let's be honest this guy was a w****r. Even if he is better than you, he didn't have to go around making you feel bad. If it was me personally i would have looked him in the eyes whilst shaking my head and give him the 'who the hell do you think you are' look, before continuing to give a little sarcastic grunt/laugh, and say, 'well i'm a better person than you are'. The chances are with that response that they won't know what to say next. Leaving you to laugh in their face and walk off with your big circle of friends, band mates included thus leaving Billy no mates to wallow in his own sense of embarrassment. Every now and then someone falls victim to egotism and you just need to bring them down to size, that comment should do just that.

Now then if i had seen him play before and knew he was better than me but still wasn't that great i would have said to him, 'well i have time to improve whereas you'll always be s**t' lol. Ah the English language is a wonderful thing.

Back