G1 vs. Genera Resonant?

Columbine Jr

Hey guys. I'm a Rock/Metal drummer and I have a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive kit. It's made of all birch shells. I've kept the stock resonant heads on since I've owned the kit and I think it's time to change it out. I THINK the resonant heads are supposed to be mimicking the G1, but I'm not positive on this. Anyways, I'm thinking about going with G2 batter heads across all the toms because I've gotten awful results from the Evans Hydraulics and Remo Pinstripe (which are pretty much THE heads when going to Rock/Metal drumming, surprising). Many people recommend the G1 as a compliment to the G2s, but I thought I'd just make my own post just to be safe. Evans says that the Genera Resonants "are ideal for enhancing tone when combined with a two-ply batter head," but like I said, many people reccomend the G1s with the G2s.

I guess I should be asking two questions here:

1.) If I decide on the G2s for sure, which of these two resos would be best fit with it?
2.) If not the Genera Resonant, what would the Genera Resonant combine well with? Just out of curiousity.

Thank you guys in advance. I'm glad there's a place out on the web like this.

Hey, I owned the same kit. I had clear pinstripes over coated ambassadors for a while, which was... not a good idea. Pinstripes are not great heads IMO, Emperors/G2s are much superior if tuned correctly, especially on a quality mid-range kit like the Superstar.

Anyways, the difference between G1s and Genera Resonants is the film. Many clear heads like G2s, G1s, Emperors, what have you are actually a bit hazy- it's much easier to see when there's a truly clear head to compare to like some Aquarians and the Genera Resonant. The Genera gives a bit brighter tone and perhaps a little more sustain, though I'm not sure as I haven't used G1s to compare on my newer kit (I do use a g12 floor tom reso, though, which controls the drum a bit more than my rack toms to balance out the dichotomy I often experienced with the Superstar). Neither really 'pairs' better, but the G1 does seem to be more prevalent and available. One thing to keep in mind is that the Genera Reso shows marks very easily, so one should be careful while tuning as not to totally mark it up.

What I'd recommend doing for your kit is ordering both a G12 and G2 for your 12" tom or a G14 and G2 for your preferred floor tom- I have found much enjoyment in the G14s and G12s and find them simply more meaty and resonant than two-ply heads. And they're plenty durable :)

I have the same kit. Those short tom toms up top dont handle muffled doubly ply heads well at all. I have always been a pinstripe fan, but they just didn't fit the kit. In the end I was so dissapointed with the two small toms projection (for metal) that I purchased a classic deep 12 inch tom off of ebay and put it up top. I have clear G1s on the two small toms which I've put to the side and use for other genres, not metal. The floor toms sound great with the pinstripes. I've got the top heads loose and the bottom heads (clear g1s) really tight. I remember the stock reso heads being all right.

G2's over G1's are a great combo

in a pinch, you could also use the G1 as a batter head if yours broke on a gig

1.) If I decide on the G2s for sure, which of these two resos would be best fit with it?
2.) If not the Genera Resonant, what would the Genera Resonant combine well with? Just out of curiousity.

Thank you guys in advance. I'm glad there's a place out on the web like this.

These if you want more bottom.

Anyways, the difference between G1s and Genera Resonants is the film. Many clear heads like G2s, G1s, Emperors, what have you are actually a bit hazy- it's much easier to see when there's a truly clear head to compare to like some Aquarians and the Genera Resonant. The Genera gives a bit brighter tone and perhaps a little more sustain, though

Spot on! I would stick to 10mil resos on the shorter shell rack toms though, as a 12mil can choke these out a bit more easily,

Cheers!

I realize this is probably a bit late, but I am having great success with Aquarian heads. I just find they are better made and more durable than Remo or Evans. Can't beat their customer service either! To simulate a G2/G1 sound, I would suggest coated Performance 2's over classic clears. Just a thought

Back