Curling at Winter Olympics

drumkat

Curling is fascinating to watch....

I don't have a clue on the rules

Man, the players get right into it....they scream so loudly at each other!!

Seems like a very intellectual game!

Appears to be an exact science

Basically it's Canadian shuffle board. Try to leave your stones on the target and knock the opponents off. The screaming is usually the one who slid the stone giving direction to the two sweepers to use the brooms to make the stone "curl" to a particular point on the scoring area. They have great control over the stone. They can also put snow infront of or sweep it away to either slow down or speed up the stone.
That is a primer on curling from this American who lives in the shuffleboard capitol of the world.

Amazing, Madge!! I'd heard of cat curling before, but had never seen it! Do you think they do horse curling too, or would that get out of hand? Mouse or gerbil curling would likely go at a much faster pace, due to the reduced mass. I'm going to have to do some research... ;-)

I caught some of the womens' curling on TV the other night.

Absolutely loved it.

But then again, what's not to like: I could spend hours watching pretty women sweeping.

Amazing, Madge!! I'd heard of cat curling before, but had never seen it! Do you think they do horse curling too, or would that get out of hand? Mouse or gerbil curling would likely go at a much faster pace, due to the reduced mass. I'm going to have to do some research... ;-)

Glad you liked it, Smoke!

James and Andy, I don't understand but I'm quite certain you should be ashamed of yourselves.

There is something about seeing Nordic, amazon-like, model-esque women gliding over ice ever so gently with a stone in their hand

Geez, I wish I was the Swedish Women's Curling team coach

I would include a mandate In the team rules that said....."current coaches MUST be hugged after every innings, or end, or hammer or whatever you call the blasted thing in this game!....."

Those Nordic women are just F-I-N-E

First time I saw curling, I thought they were mad. All that scrubbing.

Turns out there is science in it. When they scrub the ice the friction melts the top layer and makes it more slippery. The stone goes that much further, several feet in fact and so they can stop it pretty much where they want.
It's only when they make a mistake that they lose.

Most curling in the UK takes place in Scotland. Just listen to the UK ladies team! That's the genuine Scots accent.

I think most Scotch =:)

No you don't. You don't like whisky.

Scotch is whisky. Everything else is Scots or Scottish. Note also the spelling of "whisky": no "e", otherwise it isn't Scotch.

Four women in the curling team, four different Scots accents. I thought the point was made.

Scotch whisky, Scotch eggs, Scotch Corner ... but Scottish people.

Sigh. I do like whisky, but I don't like whiskey.

This =:) after my use of the word "Scotch" in "Scotch people" was to indicate that I knew igzackerly what I was doing.

Oh well, I know that intentional irony can't travel by internet, just as I know the interwebz are great for adding the unintentional sort.

Now. Can we get back to the pretty ladies with the brooms please?

fever%20pretty%20witch.jpg

Sigh. I do like whisky, but I don't like whiskey.

No you don't. You pacifically told me you didn't. You said you'd tried to get a taste for it but not really managed it except for Glenfiddich. I remember these things.

This =:) after my use of the word "Scotch" in "Scotch people" was to indicate that I knew igzackerly what I was doing.

Sorry. One simply never knows with colonials!

Last edited:
I've been enjoying the curling too. I normally only get a chance to catch the highlights at the end of the day though.

Whenever I look at the coverage it always seems to be the ski jump that is on. It doesn't matter what time or day it is, it's always that.

I still none the wiser as to why they have the style points. I think it would make more sense if the person that jumped the furthest won.

Imagine the curling team off season at home.

They must practice by sweeping the CRAP out of their floors at home.

The floorboards must have gouges in them

Imagine one of their kids seeing mum or dad sweeping the floor furiously, yelling as they do it.

The men have damn huge shoulders and arms.

Best compliment I've had all week. Being ashamed of yourself means you've had fun of sorts ;) ;) ;)

Seriously though, of all sports out there, I fail to understand the rationale behind separate male & female teams.

Well as was previously intimated, women are much better with the broom. The men would have no chance.

Four women in the curling team, four different Scots accents. I thought the point was made.

Scotch whisky, Scotch eggs, Scotch Corner ... but Scottish people.
...and Scotch tape.................

Back