Hi Hat Stands?

scoreking81

I was wondering what the difference between low end and high end Hi-Hat stands are. I mean, is it worth buying a $300 Dw9000 hi hat stand? I have a $75 sound percussion brand hi hat stand and i think it works fine. I mean what is the real greatness of high end hi hat stands

I was wondering what the difference between low end and high end Hi-Hat stands are. I mean, is it worth buying a $300 Dw9000 hi hat stand? I have a $75 sound percussion brand hi hat stand and i think it works fine. I mean what is the real greatness of high end hi hat stands

I think the main thing you are looking for is smooth, quick operation. If you are happy with your current hi-hat stand then save your money. No point fixing something that ain't broke. :)

If you are happy with your current stand then don't change it.
I have both low and high end stands. I don't have a problem with the lower end stands either.
I use the low end stands on my practice kits.
The great thing about low end stands is the fact I get them used for cheap. If I have a problem with one of these stands I simply buy a used one from someone who upgraded for about $25. They are also light in weight for transport.

Last edited:
ok thanks, i am perfectly happy with my hi hat stand, the onlything that appeals to me about hi end stands is the remote pedal thing (dw 9000) but unless I have some extra $$$ to throw around (i doubt it) ill keep my current stand

I got both both a highend hi-hat stand a yamaha "dragon plate" series, and a good damn old mapex stand.

The thing i first notice when sitting down at a kitt with a "cheep" stand is that it most often iwe come to makes a "Klonk" sound when releasing the pressure of the footboard as the top lifts and hits the end bracket.

iwe never had that with my yamaha or my old dw5000's, other thing is iwe come to the realization that the support for the bottom hat supports the hat better, and those small details. also i like the 2 braced legged stands better then 3, cause i use a double pedal some times. i rarely se cheeper alternatives that comes with 2 legs.

On the otherhand my old mapex stand i cant get ridd of its been around for years its sturdy DOSENT "klonk" when released because of the ware and tare by me :) i acctually like it better in some configurations cause its a bitt sloppy in the spring action.

So if i somehow are to make a summup of all of this nonsense talk by me. Save your money if the stand doesnt make any strange sounds or anything that could screw up a recording or makes your playing difficult anything that.

if your on the road alot id go for a high end stand, makes up the price in build quality and functionality on stage when setting up/down alot. at least thats my point on it.
hope my disfunctional typing was to some help :p

I would say that hi-hat stands are one piece of hardware where the improvement between price tiers is only so noticeable. The basic mechanics of the hi-hat rod going up and down can't be modified or made too much better after a certain point.

I tell people that a hi-hat has to meet your needs as a drummer, and work. Nothing more. Do the legs support it without interfering with other stands or pedals; does the clutch work; is the action accurate; does it feel good; if you're gigging, does it break down easily and is it light? Those are more important that these "new revolutionary" pedal actions which to me are not going to make as much difference by price point as you might see in bass drum pedals, for instance.

I love my sound percussion one too. Legs swivel and all.

And to those about the two leg double bass, you can always attach it to your bass drum? I'd say its preference.

Like previously stated, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

You would have to play an IC lever glide to appreciate it. It is a great piece of hardware and mid priced. I wouldnt buy a 300.00 stand when the IC's exist. It seems I have mid level everything. Avedis cymbals, Pearl cb900 stands for them, Session series drums. If somehow my playing ever needs anything better I will get it. But that's extremely unlikely.

Back