Sonor 600 Series vs Gibraltar 9600

Hey guys,

Looking to get some new hardware, these are the 2 options which i have narrowed it down to, the Sonor 600 series and the Gibraltar 9600, and id like to hear some views on these to help me decide!

NO comparison.
The 600 series is finished a lot better, built like a tank and will last a lot longer than anything coming out of Gibraltar camp.
Warning though - The Sonor 600 hardware is NOT weight friendly!

I happen to think that the Gibraltar 9000 series stuff is very nice and very well priced. Haven't tried any Sonor hardware but I can vouch that the 9600 series is also built like a tank and long lasting.

Can you try either in person?

I have a friend who has the Gibraltar... well built and sturdy, though just weighing up the odds between the Gibraltar and the Sonor, i have a wee tendency to lean towards the Sonor 600 currently, but as with the rest of the top of the line Sonor stuff it is also some of theee most expensive stuff too so just checking some views from you guys!

My sonor stands are all heavy, and the same has been said for the 600 series.. something to keep in mind if you plan on carrying it.

I prefer the Sonor with price not being an issue.. but if it is, the Gibraltar is ALOT cheaper I think.

Yeah not too worried about weight, it'll go into a wheel-along case! :) okay 600 seems to be the one I'm getting vibes to go for? Is there any other hardware makes/series that i should be considering that would either be on par with the 600 and the Gib stuff or better?

Are you going to take the hardware on tour with you? Then I'd recommend using the 400 series hardware as it's a lot lighter..

The 600 hardware is pretty solid and is of course great for tours, too. But if you have to carry it on your own... Good luck :)

I don't know what you actally need for your setup or why you lean towards those brands but if I buying a hardware pack the biggest deciding factor would be whether I like the pedals or not. Bass drum and hi-hat pedals are very pesonal whereas boom stands all do the same thing at the end of the day and I'm pretty sure they'll last you until you can't stand the sight of them all dirty/rusty.

And weight still matters when you'll pulling them out of the case and setting up.

I recently bought a yamaha stage custom because I wanted the hardware but if I had to buy a pack with pedal I'd prob want something that came wit dw9000/pearl elims/tamas or mapex falcon bass an hi-hat pedals.

yeah i like both the pedals sonor and gibraltar, ive used the Gibraltar and liked although ive always used Sonor... Yeah it will be gigged regularly! Bass drum pedals- ill be using my own..

thanks for the replys guys

The 600 Sonor (MBS673) and the Gibraltar 9600 seem like they'd be around the same weight. I had several of the 9600 Gibraltar stands and they all held up with no problem for the 3-4 years I used them.
They are heavy duty, but they are pretty heavy weighted too. I went to light weight stands after having these, and the DW heavy stuff.

The Sonor MBS400 might be in the same weight range as the Gibraltar also.

The 200 series straight cymbal stands even looks nice from Sonor.
I always liked that they didn't change the full round tilter on their stands like on the CS471, or CS271 (and those 2 series boom arms). It puts the cymbal in a direct straight line from the tubes if it's a straight stand. The center of the cymbal is right in line where you place the stand, and not off center by a half inch or whatever.

Yeah i was wondering if they still make the 600 series pedal. They look like a cheaper version of the giant step pedal which are like a grand. Ive been wanting to try a 600 out as i didnt click with the perfect balance....

Yeah i believe they still make the 600 ! Im hoping to order a perfect balance very soon.... tried one and really liked it !

Back