My new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in vintage natural finish

JClutchD

My new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in vintage natural finish **VIDEO**

I picked up my first quality kit yesterday and I couldn't be happyer. I still can't believe it! I've been playing my Yamaha DP series since I started playing, so this is quite the upgrade.

I fell in love with these the minute I saw them on eBay. I was looking for a maple kit with big sizes and have heard/read nothing but good things about Yamaha so it was a no-brainer. The vintage natural finish really topped things off nicely, too. Can't wait to see them once the shells settle to their golden-brown color. I wish it would've came with a white resonant head but it's not that big of a deal. I'm going to change it to a white one this weekend.

I bought them from The Drum Shop in Portland, ME and had the pleasure of dealing with the owner himself (incredibly nice guy). I was kind of worried about the cost of customs but it wasn't all that bad. Definitely worth it considering that I would've paid about double or triple for these where I live.

Sizes:
- 24x18
- 13x9
- 16x16
- 18x16

Snares:
- '65 Ludwig LM400
- Gretsch 14x6.5 Full Range with wood/metal hoops

Cymbals: All Sabian
- 14" Vault Artisan hats
- 18" AAXplosion Fast Crash
- 20" HHX Evolution ride
- 19" AAX Dark crash

Hardware:
DW9000 double kick and 2-leg hi-hat stand
Yamaha single-braced stands

Next purchases will be a LM402 or a matching MCA 14x7 snare to go along with the kit. I'm going to get matching DW9000 cymbal stands and possibly a snare stand for the rack tom. I've also decided that I'm going to sell my double kick and get a single 9000 instead. I don't use the left slave pedal at all anymore... I'm looking at buying a 21" HHX Groove ride too.

I took the pictures with my Blackberry so they're not the best. I played around with the lighting a bit but it didn't help all that much.

Anyways, without further adieu:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 3,361
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 3,320
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 3,229
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 3,314
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 3,170
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 3,444
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 3,268
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 3,220
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 3,330
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 4,630
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 3,180
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 3,197
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 3,087
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 3,101
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 3,156
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 3,188
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 3,201
Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase..That's a very nice kit!...I think you'll really like the vintage natural finish...I have several snares with this finish and definitely darkens over time to nice golden brown finish..

Congrats on your purchase..That's a very nice kit!...I think you'll really like the vintage natural finish...I have several snares with this finish and definitely darkens over time to nice golden brown finish..

I think I'm going to like it too! I've seen a few pictures of the finish once it settles and it's absolutely gorgeous. Really classy.

Beautiful kit, and great sizes too. Enjoy!!

Thank you. I will! :)

Very very nice. Those must sound as incredible as they look. Classy. Congrats and have fun. Put up some sound clips whenever.

great kit indeed, the more I see it the more I dig it, really love that natural finish too. Also great selection of cymbals to compliment the kit. I'd love to hear it if possible some time.

Beautiful kit. My Yamaha Recording Customs have the same (I think) natural finish, although, 30 years old ... they're a little darker, now. I'll never give them up.​

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I'll try and get a recording up as soon as possible.

Very Nice Congrats, I saw these a few weeks back ona trip I made to Portland as well. They are beautiful. How much did you pay if yoou don't mind?

Very Nice Congrats, I saw these a few weeks back ona trip I made to Portland as well. They are beautiful. How much did you pay if yoou don't mind?

Nice! I was like a kid in a candy store at that drum shop, it was amazing. And I paid $2600 CDN + $156 for customs.

Beautiful kit! Very classy! Enjoy!

Beautiful kit! Very classy! Enjoy!

Thank you!

My coated heads and white reso finally came in so I'll be putting some new pictures up (with a good camera this time) in the coming week and maybe some sort of recording too. Cheers guys!

Really sweet kit you have there! Love the sizes as well. I bet they sound enormous!

They sure do! I have 'em tuned wide open and I love it. My band actually said that they sound like they're mic'ed up, that's how loud they are :)

Re: My new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in vintage natural finish **UPDATED PIC**

Here's an updated picture with an Emperor Smooth White reso and Emperor Coated tom batters:

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 7,494
Back