Which heads should I buy for my new birch set?

PhantomPHAN

Hey guys! I'm picking up my PDP 805's from the music shop tomorrow. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with this set and what heads sound best on them. Though I'm going on my 6th year of percussion...I've just started playing set a few months ago and this is the first decent one i've owned, and I don't want to waste my money on heads that i'm disappointed with...btw I'll mostly be using the set for rock.
Any opinions on Evans G2's or Aquarian performance 2's?
Alsooo Evans Emad vs Aquarian Superkick?
Thanksss.

With a birch kit, you are going to get heaps of attack due to the wood being quite hard. If you want a lot of attack,the EC2s will be good, but personally, I'm not a fan. It depends on what sound you want out of them?

Sounds like a great kit. I have a PDP FS Birch kit that I can't wait to tinker with again.
I also have a 6 x 10 "805" popcorn snare. The funny thing about that snare is that it came free with a Zildjian A Custom cymbal pack, and all my friends like that drum over my DW Collectors snare and gear!

I agree, Birch will give you sharp attack, AND a higher pitch. You would want to bring a warmer tone, and more dampening on the heads.

G2's seem to be the popular choice, surely among maple drums.
Perf 2's will give you much more dampening, and shorter sustain. Though some people find it a little too much.
I would think about the Aquarian Response II's. They're closer to the G2's, with more tone control - you won't get that cardboard thud. I have G2's on my DW set, but I will be changing over to the Response II's for less sustain.
The Aquarian SK II is an awesome head for the BD. Good amount of tone and sustain control. Don't need a blanket inside the BD.

Here's a tip: Sometimes the only way you figure out the best head is after you've tried one. That's probably why I have a Aq Super II and Evans G2 on each floating tom, and the same set up on my 14 + 16 floor toms. No other way I would truly know. Just research and buy wisely.

Have patience with the super 2 you will end up loving it, its a fantastic head.
I have them fitted (super 2 clears) all around including snare (except kick drum emad2 clear)

Have patience with the super 2 you will end up loving it, its a fantastic head.
I have them fitted (super 2 clears) all around including snare (except kick drum emad2 clear)

What do you think about the Response II's? Aren't the Super 2's pretty close to the G2's (already have the G2's)?

To each his own...I tried many head combos on the MBirch I owned, my favorite combo ended up being clear Remo Pinstripes over over clear Evans G Plus's. I got the deep punch I was after for classic rock and really great resonance from a thicker reso

Last edited:
What do you think about the Response II's? Aren't the Super 2's pretty close to the G2's (already have the G2's)?

Never tried the response 2's. The response 2's are supposed to be Aquarians (g2's) 2plies x 7mm/ply. The super 2's are also 2plies but they are 5mm/7mm for a total of 12. Little more attack but durability of 2ply. I would go with the super 2's if your looking for something a little more open and better response on the stick.

If you can describe the sound you're going for, we can certainly help you figure out the best heads for you. There are lots of options out there that will sound great on the kit but it depends on what context you plan to use the drums in and what you want to hear.

Evans G2 Clear sound awesome on Birch kit.

One of the main differences between maple and birch is that birch will give you a slightly shorter note. So I'd be cautious about over-"focusing" the drums. My choice would probably be a thicker single-ply head instead of a two-ply head, and I'd avoid anything with a built-in damping system. But that's my personal preference ... it really depends on what sound characteristics you're after -- do you want to take advantage of the punchiness of birch or do you want to compensate for it? The only caution, as always, is to listen to the drums from a little distance rather than only from directly above them -- a lot of ring is heard only by the player, not by anyone else.

The only caution, as always, is to listen to the drums from a little distance rather than only from directly above them -- a lot of ring is heard only by the player, not by anyone else.

Unless it is a close miked or "spot" miked drum then the PA or recording engineer will rapidly hear it. This is when your tuning ability gets challenged, but you should be able to pretty much subdue it..

Dennis

The Problem with G2's is that you get a TON of overtones (or at least I do on my Sonor kit). I'd suggest coated G2's. Or Remo black dots (whatever they're called)

-Jonathan

Back