Pedal thougts

Mr Orange

Hi All.
This is my first post on this forum and I appreciate any input.

I've got back to drumming again after a 25 year break. Now I get some lessons from a drum teacher so I can get my act together. I have never been proffessional, but I want to get some guys together and have fun playing. I enjoy a lot of music but when it comes to playing I'm a soul/funk kind of guy. Single pedal.

When I played back in the days I had a Speed King which I love. Now I got one of Tamas budget pedals but I intend to buy a new one.

Here in Sweden there is Iron Cobra all over. And I have tried it because my teacher has one.

I enjoyed my SK as said, and I know you can get them new still. But is it the right way to go? I like the direct drive but it is a bit fragile, isn't it?

Any suggestions? SK, Iron Cobra? I've been looking at the Yamaha direct driven models too. How about the Speed Cobra.

Thanks for any input,
Jörgen
Göteborg
SWEDEN

I've been looking at the Yamaha direct driven models too.
The Flying Dragon Direct Drive is a great pedal. I own two (single). When I want/need a double pedal, I play a Sleishman (they only make 1 pedal, so it's easy to look up).

i use a speed cobra, and i LOVE them. its the perfect balance of weight for me, and these are my first long boards, i am really enjoying them.

the yamaha pedal is VERY good but for me its way too light and fast,

btw the iron cobra JR pedal (tama budget one) is actually a really good pedal, based on the old camco design - which is also what the original single chain DW 5000's are based from. bo eder uses and swears by them here :p

The Speed King is still a viable pedal. I know guys who've been playing one their entire lives. They are built well, and if your foot already likes it, why mess with success? I think pedals, like cymbals, have been getting engineered thicker and heavier through the years, and the Speed King just looks like, well, a Speed King. Your foot tells you what pedal to play, not what everyone else suggests. I myself have gravitated towards the Iron Cobra Jr. and I play the crap out of that pedal - my foot just feels best on that one, and I've actually tried all kinds over the years. I always go back to the simpler pedals.

Bonzo played a Speed King.

No less than Neil Peart played Speed Kings for over 15 years as a pro.

You could do worse.

Thanks all!
I like the SK and I love its heritage! And I read some reviews of the Speed Cobra last night and it looks like an interesting candidate.

Two things makes me think twice about the SK, first is the new ones as good as the old? (or better) And it was 25 years ago, there have to (evolution right?) be something better.

I am regarded as a nostalgic kind of guy in general, and I kind of enjoy it, but I really would like to try something new when it comes to pedals.

//Jörgen

Thanks all!
I like the SK and I love its heritage! And I read some reviews of the Speed Cobra last night and it looks like an interesting candidate.

Two things makes me think twice about the SK, first is the new ones as good as the old? (or better) And it was 25 years ago, there have to (evolution right?) be something better.

I am regarded as a nostalgic kind of guy in general, and I kind of enjoy it, but I really would like to try something new when it comes to pedals.

//Jörgen

They have refined a few things but there is a reason they are still around ;-) Newer doesn't always mean better. I started off on speed kings as well 28 years ago and it was a great pedal. Wanted a double bass pedal and switched to DW Just ordered a yamaha direct drive so will see how that feels next week.

Best bet is to try as many as possible in the end the speed king just might be "the" pedal for you.

Hi All.
This is my first post on this forum and I appreciate any input.

I've got back to drumming again after a 25 year break. Now I get some lessons from a drum teacher so I can get my act together. I have never been proffessional, but I want to get some guys together and have fun playing. I enjoy a lot of music but when it comes to playing I'm a soul/funk kind of guy. Single pedal.

When I played back in the days I had a Speed King which I love. Now I got one of Tamas budget pedals but I intend to buy a new one.

Here in Sweden there is Iron Cobra all over. And I have tried it because my teacher has one.

I enjoyed my SK as said, and I know you can get them new still. But is it the right way to go? I like the direct drive but it is a bit fragile, isn't it?

Any suggestions? SK, Iron Cobra? I've been looking at the Yamaha direct driven models too. How about the Speed Cobra.

Thanks for any input,
Jörgen
Göteborg
SWEDEN

I've really read tremendous things about the Speed Cobra and I would love to try one myself. I play a Mapex Falcon and I would highly recommend that to anyone looking to purchase a new high end pedal, beautiful piece of engineering and so simple too.

I just got back from the local dealer where I tried the Speed Cobra. It felt like a great piece of engineering, with a lot (but adequate) of adjustment possibilities.

I especially liked the foot board, long with a small hinged part.

They did not stock the SK or any Yamaha so I have not had the opportunity to try these.

I think I'll be very pleased with the SC.

Bonzo played a Speed King.

No less than Neil Peart played Speed Kings for over 15 years as a pro.

Don't forget about Niko from Iron Maiden. Only thing is that McBrian and Peart have both changed the pedals they play. I bought a 70's Speedking a few months back, put some time into cleaning it up and greasing it up again. I had to sell it because it was just to rickety for me. I found a old Axis for sale and have not looked back. Check out an Axis pedal if you want a lighter direct drive pedal but with a more solid construction.

I would stay away from an Iron Cobra, they feel very heavy. Diametric opposite from a Speed King.

Last edited:
If you have your mind set on direct drive, check out Yamaha. They are great pedals, and significantly cheaper than Axis. They make great pedals period.

The software or hardware manufacturer will produce a product with a mature and comprehensive feature set and at the same time allow for deep sound and control to the software programming and also feature for the foot pedal interface that is full-featured and geared for the pro performer.

Hi again!
I just got home with my new Speed Cobra. I only had about an hour with it, adjusting and testing, but it is clearly an improvement.

Now I can get going with my Bonham 1/2-time shuffle not blaming it on the pedal. Now it's up to me!!

Thanks for all input.

Jörgen

Very cool glad you ended up with a pedal you are happy with !

Back