Travis Barker

Well i agree people should admire people for more than just speed but i think travis is great but not just for his speed so not all teens are like that lol.

Re: Travis Barker's Wife Is Hot

Zardoz said:
All I have to say is............remember when some of you were really young/naive and didn't know jack squat about music? You'll probably say "yes" and then remember that you were praising drummers like Peter Criss, Nick Mason and Bill Ward (Black Sabbath) back when you were a wee little lad and now thinking to yourself "Wow.......I was way off." Well, kids are still doing the same thing today.

The videos that beatsMcGee posted were entertaining, nothing mind-blowing, but then again is that what he's trying to do? Somehow I doubt it. When your fanbase is mostly young teenage girls, you could sit there and do triplets all day and they'll spill blood for it. However, the solo vid on this site of him coming up from the floor is just embarrassing. I think that should be removed. It's cool he uses electronic samples in that, but he should probably ask Mr. Peart or Jimbo (if you don't know then leave this site now) how to really use them.

Barker is a great punk drummer, there's no doubt about that. I enjoy his playing on that Boxcar Racer cd the most. He gets really creative in some of his parts, especially since.....hello!!!! It's punk music for God's sake.....not Zappa or Benny Goodman. I give him kudos for not just playing fast crap beats.

Is he the best drummer in the history of music? No, but y'know what? He's the most popular now, so of course you're going to get all the naive people following that schtick of "omg dude he's on MTV all the time. he's the best drummer ever. like like, he's awesome."

to stu: yea that is acutally the GC 2006 drumm off you can see the logo on the back screen behind barker, and you can also look it up online... so it is ACTUALLY him, thanks .

and to Zardoz, you have a good point but i cant help but to feel a little animostiy towards you post because it seems like your discribing me, and many others, as teeny boopers who are cought up in a fad-which, in my case, is completely the oposit. i agreed all along travis barker is not the best, i just think hes ragged on way to much, and for what? ive liked him well before he ever got on tv and became a "celeb". i always thought his drumming was creative, and he is very well suited for the style of music he plays. I never said what he did was impossible to do, but it is creative, and fun ! and he dose have a fun energetic style, and brings a refreshing sound to pop/punk/hip hop music. it just so happened that he, and many others,was one of the many drummers that i really took to as far as style and chops. but i am well versed in the elclectic styles of many drummers out there like; steve gadd, copland, peart, bonham, chambers, weckl, mitchell etc.... i dont just listen to travis and think "wow hes the damn greatest drummer ever" i apreciate what hes doing, and hell its fun to watch and listen to, aswell as play.

Kaden, I understand. No offense taken.

beastsMcGee, no I wasn't at all. I'm not sure why you thought that??? If you look at my quote I use your name as a positive reference and that's the only part in that post that was geared towards you. Sorry if you mistook my rant for a personal bash, but that was nowhere near the meaning of my points that I brought up.

Stu_Strib said:
Well in all fairness, repetition is good for one's opinion about Travis. His "tinkering" fills, with the little off-beat cymbal bell hits and stuff is kind of infectious. The more you listen the more you like.

I like Greenday and Bowling for Soup type punk drumming better (simpler, less busy).

That snare outro thing on "lost without you" doesn't do anything for me. I've never been a big rudimental snare fan anyway, so....

Again, my sole problem with his playing is just differences in taste, and people's tendancy to idolize him.

I wonder what he's gonna do next (now that blink is dead) and how his drumming style will fit into it?
well, the whole thing that his style changes everything....its very true. i think that since the transplants are no longer together, and blink broke up, heh will concentrate on this thing with mark, but it wont last very long, because the punk style drumming fits him very well, also, stu you said that the rudiments didnt do anything for you; that was a total marching thing, and i wish that travis would have not gone to the aquabats( in an alternate reality, of course) and instead gone to DCI because i follow that kind of stuff, and he would have been amazing to see where he would have been now
tj

Hey elvinbarkerdennis, what's DCI. Is it 'drum corps international'? (I'll be so proud of myself if I get that right...)

In an alternate reality, it'd be cool to see how well Barker fared in a prog/metal group, that would have silenced the 'sell out' haters - except, in an alternate reality, the 'sell out' haters wouldn't have existed in the first place, so what would be the point, and I'm getting confused now, but I hear he's really into hip-hop. Are we looking at the next ?uestlove?

As a side note, are there any other 'live' hip-hop bands apart from 'the roots' out there?

You are correct,it is Drum Corps International. As far as live Hip-Hop bands besdes the Roots, I only know of Stetasonic.

I think travis is a brilliant drummer and I really like him.
To all those people who say that he tries to play too many notes all the time :

1. He doesn't do it all the time.
2. If he thinks it adds to the song, it's his choice, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not so good but it's all about trial and error. You'll never know some things unless you give them a go.
3. He has talent, why not let him show it off a bit?

If you don't like him, that's fine, but every drummer deserves a chance.

Anyone hear that song " Not Now " (I'm pretty sure that's the name) - Travis does soem pretty cool stuff there. He really uses the rudiments in almost all of his parts....or at least it seems that way.

- Marc

tambian89 said:
Anyone hear that song " Not Now " (I'm pretty sure that's the name) - Travis does soem pretty cool stuff there. He really uses the rudiments in almost all of his parts....or at least it seems that way.

- Marc

yea i haev and i like it alot.

tambian89 said:

- Marc
that the new plus 44 song? he doesn't have much to do with it, but it is pretty cool i think. i think he could have done more at the end, but that may have spoiled the song. not sure.

Travis Barker is a very good drummer and a lot of people look up to him and think he is the best drummer ever but those people need to hear some of the other great drummers insted of just listening to him and thinking hes the best.

A lot of people throw him down, but i think hes the best punk drummer probably ever. From the set he uses he makes the best out of it. All of his songs are incredibly hard to play, hes a crowd pleaser with the fans. And people don't get popular by not being good except tom(guitarist in blink 182). I have a lot of repect for him, and a lot of people compare him to people that dont play his style which is a false analogy.

All of his songs are incredibly hard to play

um, well no actually. physical yes but skill wise not at all.

punk drummer probably ever

i'm sure a lot of people will offer alternative greats. he is good but 'the best' is a beast best left untouched.

I have a lot of repect for him, and a lot of people compare him to people that dont play his style which is a false analogy.

this i agree with. comparing travis to wekl for example is like comparing chocolate cake to steamed lobster. both are delicious but so completely unrelated.

j

J...you are brilliant man...i dont think i have ever heard anyone tell anything like that, geez. its crazy the advice that you give people; i cant believ that i have made it playing drums this far without people like all you guys giving me advice, but seriously, i just wanted to say that travis may not be the "best" persay, but he has always done what the song needs, and if i may use a hockey reference, he reminds me of Sidney Crosbey, he just elevates the people around him; he is truthfully awesome. but i just wanted to say thanks J... peace love and rudiments

Dave Ruan from Lagwagon sounds extremely technically efficient, as does Jordan Burns (who also comes up with very creative, often metal-influenced parts) from Strung Out. In terms of 'feel', Derek Grant from Alkaline Trio is unrivalled (for me), though I also love Travis's more hip-hop orientated grooves. Incidentally, I found it quite interesting to note that Matt Skiba (lead singer and guitarist of Alkaline Trio) was initially a drummer for a few other bands before forming Alk3. Chad Sexton is also great if you consider 311 punk. Having said this, I wouldn't brand them 'better' than Travis, as Jason said, they're merely different, but also stand out in the punk scene. Andy Hurley of Fall Out Boy is better than people will give him credit for (as is the whole band).

Does anyone else have good punk/pop-punk drummer recommendations?

NUTHA JASON said:
well i cannot say that i have seen all of what travis does but everything i've heard i can cover or learn to cover pretty quickly.

I heartily second that. And I don't even really delve into this genre too heavily.

And I don't even really delve into this genre too heavily.

yeah. there are bigger hills to climb.

if you can do chad smith (hill), john bonham (mountain) or dave weckl (everest) then walking up the foothills of barker is just a sunday stroll.

come on stu...you would know who i was talking about here:
a better punk drummer than travis. what about Frank Edwin Wright III. he is pretty sharp.
know who he is? travis says he likes this guys drumming.

j

Back