Am i desperate?

Messerschmitt

I`m not sure if i`m desperate but I am surely frustrated.Well. The story goes like this.

I`ve been in 3 bands so far (playing for almost 3 yrs), mostly played rock (first band) and then metal (next two ones) and never managed to do anything. I mean, the most success I had was with the last band, "Invader", we had 2 concerts and played a song at a local music contest. Not that much if you`d ask me. And we had lots of ideas but the gutarist insisted we should not go out and perform for a crowd until we have everything PERFECT. I didn`t really agree but getting technical neoclassical metal at a "perfect" rating is hard. I`m a perfectionist, too, but some things could have went unseen. Now that band is history.

Now i`m trying to make a funk-blues-rock thingy band and it`s pretty hard.You know, that kind of 80`s music that people can dance to and have a good time. I live in a small town (read around 115.000 people ) and musicians don`t really grow in trees. The audience potential is enormous given the fact that the younger generation and the older one would both enjoy what we would play, the problem is i can`t really find people for the band. Everyone wants rock or pop-rock, wich people are already tired of.

I have 1,5 years till i go to college and I have only played once in my hometown. I would really like to manage to play in here before i hit the road. Don`t get me wrong, but i learnt how to play a heck load of stuff, (all kinds of genres) and i can`t even play A SINGLE ONE. It`s not fair and somehow feel i have wasted my time in useless bands.

It really is frustrating when you CAN, you WANT, but you don`t have someone else to join...

If you have been in three bands for three years and have never played out, something is wrong. You need to get out there and apply yourselves and see how it goes.

It takes a humble heart to admit the reality that you may not get the chance to play my friend.......Its one of those, "right place and right time" kinda things. I spent years trying to get bands together, none of them worked. Right now Im playing in a blues band part time with my dad and Im very invloved with the music at my church. I dont really care if a band will come my way or not,because I know it will be the right place and time for that. I guess Im putting a more Christian Biblical principal into this, but it just may not happen. But if its meant to be, then it will happen, some day. :)

Sounds like a simple case of, you can't find the right cats to jam with. But, on the "other" hand ... you can't shove "your vision" onto someone else, no matter how right you might be. Yeah, a blues/rock band, you got 3 generations of audience to appeal to. But, if no one else see's the potential, well .... you're gonna wind up not being in a band. So that means "you" need to become more flexible. Join, or start, a Punk band. Or an Industrial band. Techno, Metal, Fusion, whatever. Also, look at, not so much a "traditional" band. Getting 4/5 people together is a hard thing. Maybe just find a keyboard player. A drummer, and a keyboard player .... who needs guitar, or bass? These guys make it work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lT2XsrM_EE Now, I'm not saying become the next Morgenstein/Rudess, but the concept .... it's far easier to get 2 people on the same page, as 4 or 5.​

You said yourself that you live in a small(?) town with 115,000 people. Given that number, the odds are that there are more than enough musicians available to meet your needs, it's just a matter of finding them. Do you have a Craigslist type of website in Romania?

Craigslist is a website where people advertise for free. You would advertise looking for people to do the kind of music you are interested in. Or you would look to join an existing band that is advertising for a drummer. You must have something like that there.

A trio w/bass, guitar, and drums is the core of a blues band. Everything else is ornamentation. You really don't need anything more. You just need to find 2 musicians. Don't overlook any female musicians.

Agree with Harry about not being able to impose your vision on others. For drummers it's usually the other way around.

I've never played in a band whose music was as much to my taste as it was the singer's. More than anyone, the singer has to believe in the music. Not that I disliked the music, far from it, but it's never my ideal, which tends to be fairly off the wall.

I don't mind at all. As far as I'm concerned, drumming is fun no matter what the music, as long as the players are competent and the music has heart, style, dynamics and at least some intelligence.

That's bands ... they're almost always about compromise, like any relationship ... unless you're a singer, of course :)

It really is frustrating when you CAN, you WANT, but you don`t have someone else to join...

Well, when my first band splitted up after a year and about 3 gigs, I really wanted to join another band, so I put a little ad in the local newspaper, I only had one call from a rock guitarist who wanted to form a new band, I've been lucky, this guy was a well known muso in the area, and he was light years ahead of me (he played the kit better than me,lol) I stayed about 4 years with him, with a few changes in the line up, but I've been the only drummer of that particular band, I own that guy so much, he took me under his wing, but ... he also knew all the places were musicians were hanging around in the area, you know, the bars, the pubs, the clubs, etc. I met so many other musos there, and upon re-making the world of music behind a pint of beer, I made some great friends, some of which I played with and some I didn't, but you would find all sort of guys, funk, jazz, rock, punk, soul, you name it, they were there. :)

So, perhaps you could go to these places were musos hang around and chat about the music you want to do, and your band project, you'll be surprised how many will do a jam or something with you, and if the right chemistery's there, you might be able to put a band together, try an ad in your local newspaper, put something in the local music shop for everyone to see, it will happen, but you'll have to look for it, go out and show yourself to the world :))

Sounds like a simple case of, you can't find the right cats to jam with. But, on the "other" hand ... you can't shove "your vision" onto someone else, no matter how right you might be. Yeah, a blues/rock band, you got 3 generations of audience to appeal to. But, if no one else see's the potential, well .... you're gonna wind up not being in a band. So that means "you" need to become more flexible. Join, or start, a Punk band. Or an Industrial band. Techno, Metal, Fusion, whatever. Also, look at, not so much a "traditional" band.​

Well, you`re spot on. I can`t find people, that`s the problem. I`m not trying to shove my ideas down someone`s throat, i`m just trying to do something different. I want something a bit off the charts, at least, off the rock/metal charts. I wouldn`t really mind playing something else( reggae/ska/dub would be fun and catchy as well), i just mind i don`t play at all !

You said yourself that you live in a small(?) town with 115,000 people. Given that number, the odds are that there are more than enough musicians available to meet your needs, it's just a matter of finding them. Do you have a Craigslist type of website in Romania?

Well, there is a Romanian Craigslist but nobody posts ads in there. On the other hand, there are other free advertising sites wich i may be able to post an ad on. Also, i could use the drummer/guitarist forums in Romania. Thanks for the tip !

Agree with Harry about not being able to impose your vision on others. For drummers it's usually the other way around.

As far as I'm concerned, drumming is fun no matter what the music, as long as the players are competent and the music has heart, style, dynamics and at least some intelligence.

Polly, it is indeed fun no matter what! We used to fool around at rehearsals and we would start playing funk, then switch to blues, then rock, then ska, then...then..... Playing music is fun no matter what instrument you play, IMO.That`s the reason you play it, right? But that`s what i`m looking, for, musical intelligence and something that`s one step ahead. Something more , let`s say mature. Something that requires skills and technicality to play.

... he also knew all the places were musicians were hanging around in the area, you know, the bars, the pubs, the clubs, etc. I met so many other musos there, and upon re-making the world of music behind a pint of beer, I made some great friends, some of which I played with and some I didn't, but you would find all sort of guys, funk, jazz, rock, punk, soul, you name it, they were there. :)

So, perhaps you could go to these places were musos hang around and chat about the music you want to do, and your band project, you'll be surprised how many will do a jam or something with you, and if the right chemistery's there, you might be able to put a band together, try an ad in your local newspaper, put something in the local music shop for everyone to see, it will happen, but you'll have to look for it, go out and show yourself to the world :))

Music shops would be a good idea, too. I`ll also try talking to other musicians i know. You know, that`s the way you meet a friend of a friend. I tried this in the past but failed, because i was considered "too young" for a band of guys in their mid 20`s to 30`s.

The biggest problem i have is not being able to play my kit while not in a band. I don`t have a rehearsal space and i had to count on the band`s ones. I`m constantly searching for rentable spaces but none show off. I don`t think i could afford them, either. I haven`t played my kit since December, wich is a huge loss for me. All i`ve been able was to brush my snare and practice rudiments on my feet...

Why not be the first to advertise on craigslist? It's free. Nothing to lose. You could put a link there to a YouTube of your playing, that way they can see from their computer if it might be a good match, time saved.

Use the internet to your full advantage in finding people. Aren't there any websites that are geared specifically for musicians looking for musicians in your country?

Start one?

If you are still in high school you should just be less picky about what gigs you are doing. Try to hook up with bands and musicians that are playing out there and getting gigs. Look for every opportunity to play. It might not be the concerts or nightclubs but you can play all kind of gigs like parties, librarys, schools, civic events, etc.

It doesn't really matter what genre you play. Just try to get out there and play.

115,000? My nearest town is less than half that size, & a real rural backwater in music terms, yet I can still find players. Sure, it's not easy. Getting with the right guys is often a bigger challenge than learning to play the instrument itself. Open mic nights, music shops, other band gigs, are all networking opportunities.

Use the internet to your full advantage in finding people. Aren't there any websites that are geared specifically for musicians looking for musicians in your country? ?

No, there are not, but any musician forum has a special sub-section for "musician available", wich i took advantage of.

If you are still in high school you should just be less picky about what gigs you are doing. Try to hook up with bands and musicians that are playing out there and getting gigs. Look for every opportunity to play. It might not be the concerts or nightclubs but you can play all kind of gigs like parties, librarys, schools, civic events, etc.

It doesn't really matter what genre you play. Just try to get out there and play.

That`s exactly my point, too. I don`t mind playing a specific genre, i don`t mind anything at all, I just don`t find people and, more important, a rehearsal space.

I have a few friends that would play old pop-rock stuff on weekend nights on a bar. That`s where i usually hang for a few beers on Friday night, meet friends, listen to them and have a good time. They suggested about two weeks ago that we should play at this year`s city fair. That`s great news, and it`s a bit ironic it happened when i just started complaining, lol! It`s gonna be a street gig, actually i think that what we`re going to do is called busking, but it will be fun. We`re planning to play about 4 hours/ day for 3 days, wich means about 80 songs to learn! That`s a hell to remind, but it`s gonna be awesome!

If this wouldn`t have happened, i would have posted a few ads in the local newspapers.

Last edited:
That sounds cool, congratulation! We have millions of people in this area and it is still hard as (insert expletive) to find a good singer that rocks.

Back