More attack from coated toms?

Not my experience. A clear Emperor style head (two 7mm plys) is not going to resemble ANYTHING like a coated heads warmth. It's still going to have that plastic-y "Clank" sound All clear heads have.

Evans doesn't make anything like the Smooth White. In this situation, I would suggest remo drumheads all the way.

(not bashing Evans, in fact I am rocking some Evans G plus heads on my kit right now! there great)
I'm sorry, I may not have been clear enough. A coated 2-ply head will offer the warmth of a coated single-ply but with greater attack.

Evans USED TO have a fantastic head with White film that was coated.
It was the UNO58.

I wish they would bring that head back into production, and I wish they would make it up to 26".

Evans USED TO have a fantastic head with White film that was coated.
It was the UNO58.

I wish they would bring that head back into production, and I wish they would make it up to 26".

Just to clarify, the UNO heads aren't an Evans line. They are another brand of heads made overseas that are owned by Evans. I'll definitely look into the possibility of some white film heads with a coating. The black version of this would be the Onyx series (though with a clear coating).

Just to clarify, the UNO heads aren't an Evans line. They are another brand of heads made overseas that are owned by Evans. I'll definitely look into the possibility of some white film heads with a coating. The black version of this would be the Onyx series (though with a clear coating).

Never knew UNO58 weren't made by Evans. This was about 10-11 years ago I was using them. Had them for a while and then all of a sudden, poof, gone.
When I bought them might have been pre-D'Adarrio, or just as the change over was happening?

Gennera was pretty much the replacement, (then G1, G2).
Other than the UNO58, all the other (coated) heads (I saw anyway) were coated over clear film.
Was that Dynaflex film? They sounded just like Coated Ambassadors, so I just thought that it was the same Mylar film. I sorta figured it was discontinued in order to be completely different than Remo's offerings.

I really liked those heads, but one person, or a just a small portion of people liking a simple head, and tuning to get the sound you want, doesn't match the millions of people that don't have a clue, and want it to "sound like a recording" right out of the box.
Oh well.

I use coated G2's on my supra. The main reason, other than the fact that it's a great head and consistent in sound, is that the coating doesn't wear off easy. A standard Remo coated emperor is coating over clear film, but it looks like crap after a gig or two. Coating over white film would be awesome. The old coated emperors were white film and they sounded better than the current offering, plus you couldn't tell as much when the coating wore off. A coated white G2 would get my vote for sure!

I use coated G2's on my supra. The main reason, other than the fact that it's a great head and consistent in sound, is that the coating doesn't wear off easy. A standard Remo coated emperor is coating over clear film, but it looks like crap after a gig or two. Coating over white film would be awesome. The old coated emperors were white film and they sounded better than the current offering, plus you couldn't tell as much when the coating wore off. A coated white G2 would get my vote for sure!

You want the JP model Emperor then (if you want a Remo product). 2 plies of white film, coated. Nice heads, just like the old ones.
I've come to like the clear/coated heads sound, but I've never had the coating come off on me either.

The G2 is a cool head too, it just doesn't have the "crack" or (slightly drier) crispness the Remo heads have to my ear.

With the appropriate tuning you can definitely achieve a drier or more open tone out of the G2's.

Of course, and I had nice results when I used the coated G1 and G2 at first.

Coated G2 with the UNO head sounded fantastic. When I had to go with Coated G2 with a clear or coated G1, the nice crisp tone was gone, and I had a more throaty tone that I didn't want.
The sound was good, I just didn't hear things I wanted to hear in the overall sound of my drums when the UNO58 wasn't available anymore.

To my ear the overall tone is just not as crisp, but that would be due to the type of coating, and the way the head is made as well.
Evans makes quality stuff, I'm not disputing that, and people can debate the coating quality of any company.

There have been other heads put out since then, like the G+ heads and others, I just haven't made the investment to try them out because I was happy with the Coated Ambassadors.
The Power Center TOP dot head is very nice sounding. I like that one a lot on the snare.

Off the subject of toms....
It would be nice if a Coated G1 was available in a 26" size. I'd like to see a 26" head without a muffle ring.
Even though the one on the EQ1 frosted is small, I just don't want a muffle ring on my bass drum head.

Off the subject of toms....
It would be nice if a Coated G1 was available in a 26" size. I'd like to see a 26" head without a muffle ring.
Even though the one on the EQ1 frosted is small, I just don't want a muffle ring on my bass drum head.

We'll definitely keep this in mind, though there aren't many people out there who seem to share your interest for an unmuffled 26" bass drum head. Maybe sometime in the not too distant future though...

I think the Vintage Emps are coated over a white film.

We'll definitely keep this in mind, though there aren't many people out there who seem to share your interest for an unmuffled 26" bass drum head. Maybe sometime in the not too distant future though...

That seems to be the problem, not many people want them un-muffled.
Maybe they just don't know what I know haha! :)
Kind of surprising that even a G2 isn't offered in 26".

On a bass drum, the head needs some muffling sure, but I find that there's more problems with shells that don't have anything at the bottom of the drum disrupting the sound from bouncing all over and causing hums and whatnot. Whatever is in there doesn't need to touch either head.
Batter and reso heads both muffled and then placing a mic inside a smooth cylinder?....

Calls for heavy EQ and gates in most venues...unless you get lucky with a FOH guy who doesn't believe in Gates and tweaks the sound to get everything sounding cool--like the FOH guy for Poison who mixed our show last night in Detroit (DTE).

Back