Stephen King

Do anyone here read books written by, my favorite writer, Stephen Kings.

My dad did collect his work when he was younger and now I plow through book by book.

Right now I am in the middle of his The Dark Tower series, book 5 (Wolves of The Calla). I love this series and I can`t stop reading. I want to know what will happen to Roland and his friends. Will they ever find the dark tower and unsolve the mysteries behind it?

The cool thing about these series is that it contains characters and stuff from earlier books by Stephen King. You constantly get the "Aha" feeling.

Other books I really enjoy by Stephen King is The Stand, Jerusalems Lot, The Shining, The Talisman/The Black House, IT (which basically made me hate clowns cause now I find them super scary), Insomnia, Green Mile etc.

There`s also some good movies out there based on his work: The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Mist etc...

So what do you think of him as a writer?

He's one of my favorites, and though he consistently gets lumped into the "horror" genre, he is one of the really great character builders out there. His "mainstream" works like Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, The Body (Stand by Me), and even Cujo are some of the best literature of the last century. The Dark Tower is a masterwork, and you will love the ending. Even though people constantly say "I can't wait for this to be made into a movie", I really hope they don't. Hollywood has a hard time capturing what makes his books great and translating that into movies, especially the made for TV ones (Langoliers...ugh). I'd hate to see The Dark Tower dumbed down by mainstream Hollywood with stupid casting decisions, a ridiculously gutted story with half the plot points taken out, focus on special effects more than story and characters, cheesy special effects, etc....

I just read "It" (finally!) a few months ago and I think it is one of his better novels. Now I wish I had never seen the TV miniseries and that I would have been able to go into the story "cold", as it were. It would have made it that much better.

Yes.

Desperation/regulators. Shining, Rita hayworth and the shawshank redemption....

Basically I have just about everything, except from a buick 8, IT, the stand, and prolly that one about cell phones .

The Dark Tower is a masterwork, and you will love the ending. Even though people constantly say "I can't wait for this to be made into a movie", I really hope they don't. Hollywood has a hard time capturing what makes his books great and translating that into movies, especially the made for TV ones (Langoliers...ugh). I'd hate to see The Dark Tower dumbed down by mainstream Hollywood with stupid casting decisions, a ridiculously gutted story with half the plot points taken out, focus on special effects more than story and characters, cheesy special effects, etc....

Exciting. I`m in the middle of book 5 now and I love it.
I don`t know how they are going to put all together into three films. The script has to be perfect and the casting also has to be perfect. Imagine Roland played by an lousy actor. It will ruin it at...

I just read "It" (finally!) a few months ago and I think it is one of his better novels. Now I wish I had never seen the TV miniseries and that I would have been able to go into the story "cold", as it were. It would have made it that much better.

Yes it´s definitely a hard book to read. I remember that the first part was unstable but then it turned out to be one of his best. If you haven`t read The Stand I really recommend it.

Do anyone here read books written by, my favorite writer, Stephen Kings.

My dad did collect his work when he was younger and now I plow through book by book.

Right now I am in the middle of his The Dark Tower series, book 5 (Wolves of The Calla). I love this series and I can`t stop reading. I want to know what will happen to Roland and his friends. Will they ever find the dark tower and unsolve the mysteries behind it?

The cool thing about these series is that it contains characters and stuff from earlier books by Stephen King. You constantly get the "Aha" feeling.

Other books I really enjoy by Stephen King is The Stand, Jerusalems Lot, The Shining, The Talisman/The Black House, IT (which basically made me hate clowns cause now I find them super scary), Insomnia, Green Mile etc.

There`s also some good movies out there based on his work: The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Mist etc...

So what do you think of him as a writer?

love his work. The Stand is a masterwork in my opinion on so many levels. The Green Mile is also unforgettable.

Yes, I've read most of his books.

I've always been a bit more into Dean Koontz, though. Anyone like his stuff, too?

I`ve read a lot of his work but the more I read the more I got to the conclusion that most of his work have the same formula. His books didn't excite me anymore.

I started with the book Phantoms and it was great. I continued reading Watchers which is an awesome book. The best I`ve read by DK. I continued reading some of his works but soon they didn't excite me as much as SK so... you`ll get the picture.

but as I said. Watchers is a great book and I would recommend it to anyone =)

Back