Double Pedal vs. Hihat Pedal Placement

con struct

Platinum Member
I'm in the middle of planing out my drum kit restoration, a real drum kit makeover, and I think I want a double bass pedal. I don't intend to attempt metal-type stuff; I just want to have some fun with it, see what I come up with.

Can the left foot pedal be positioned so it's to the left of the hihat pedal? I have a certain way the hihat has to be positioned and I really don't want to change it. It's the way my legs and feet work on the bass drum, snare and hihat. That has to stay like it is.

Edit: I did search for this topic, but I couldn't find it.

Re: Double Pedal Question

Yes mate. The centre shaft on the majority of pedals will extend far enough to work the slave pedal in on the outside of the hats. It may take a little bit of playing around to get the legs of the hat stand in just the right position, but it can usually be done.

Re: Double Pedal vs. Hihat Placement

I did a search, too. I searched for "hihat pedal placement" and then scrolled a bit, but there was something. Just saying... E.g.

Pedal placement?
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76521

I edited the thread title to make things clearer.

BTW, a remote hihat allows for much more placement options - should you need those. If you're interested in one, I'd recommend the Remote Speedy Hat invented by Bill Bachman, manufactured by Legacy Percussion. Actually he action is faster than on a regular hihat and you have enormous placement options - get the hihats wherever you want them, then get the hihat pedal wherever you want it. Done.

Yes mate. The centre shaft on the majority of pedals will extend far enough to work the slave pedal in on the outside of the hats. It may take a little bit of playing around to get the legs of the hat stand in just the right position, but it can usually be done.

Excellent. My hihat stand legs do rotate. Okay then!

I can already hear Mrs. Con Struct. "Why do you need another pedal?"

I can already hear Mrs. Con Struct. "Why do you need another pedal?"

Ah, a distant relative of Mrs Pocket I see.

Fair warning though. The term "optimal" pedal placement may be somewhat elusive too. I can always get something workable whenever I've tinkered with the slave on the inside or outside of the hat pedal.....but I find that there is always at least an element of trade off from having things exactly where I want them.

You have to make sure that the shaft does not bind on any of the numerous legs down there. You do not have a lot of room for error and if the pedal moves while you are playing you might find that it is grinding itself to death against the hi-hat stand.

I used to have the slave on the left back in the day. Works nicely:

pedals.jpg

Many famous drummers do it too. Two names that come to mind right away are Billy Ward and Chad Szeliga.

Back