Desert Island Time

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
You have been sentenced to live out the remainder of your days on a desert island, alone. You are allowed to take either:

One drum, any drum. If it needs a footpedal, granted

One cymbal, any cymbal with any stand you want

A hi hat stand with top and bottom hi hat, any one you want, any cymbals you want.

Just assume you get plenty of sticks and have all the stuff you need to live.

So. What's it gonna be?

You have to go first, Larry!

Wow, that's a hard one. I'll take the plank instead....

Does it need to be stuff I own or can I pull from a dream list?

I guess I would take my Gretsch Hammered Brass Snare. A snare seems like a logical choice, work on rudiments for the rest of my life I guess, and that is my favorite snare. So there you have it.

It hasn't arrived yet, but I'd take my due-any-day-now Ludwig Black Beauty, 6.5x14, Imperial lugs, triple-flanged hoops, P-86 Millennium throw.

And the snare stand, of course.

I'm surprised any drummer wouldn't go with a snare if faced with this choice. With all the stuff you can do on a snare, with sticks, brushes and whatever else, it's a no-brainer for me. The foundation of every drum set!

It would be my faithful old plain jane Pearl steel Sensitone.

Like eclipse, I'd spend the rest of my days just perfecting every rudiment known to man. I'd probably create a few of my own, too.

I'd go for the snare. No wait, the hi hat. Actually, the cymbal. On second thought, a 60 x 40" bass drum that I could make into a boat. I'd adapt the footpedal for a motor. What a stupid thread.

And yea David, any dream instrument is fair game, even if it means taking it from it's rightful owner.

Snare. With or without snares so you have two drums. 18 crash ride, 13 inch hats

Snare drum, no brainer for me. The hard part would be selecting which one.

eta... I think I'm going to go with one of Andy's special snare drums - either a Purpleheart or an Ash (5x14 if possible). I don't own one (perhaps some day) but I'd be more than willing to bet based on what I've heard on video files, I'd be able to go wherever I wanted to go with it musically.

If Andy couldn't have one built for me in time, I'll take my 5x14 USA Custom Vinnie Colaiuta Signature Millennial Maple Snare. The wood is aging beautifully and the tone is marvelous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I guess the snare drum is the most obvious answer. What a dumb thread. John, you need to re-read the instructions lol.

Hmmm, snare does seem obvious at first glance but I'm thinking HHs. Here's my thinking. It would pretty hard to forge cymbals but more possible to build a drum from wood and materials on the island. I mean, if I'm going by myself, I should have something to keep me busy...correct?

So...I'm sending to Guru Drums for my how-to-build-a-snare instruction sheet now and then I'll take that and my HH's with me when I go.

Thank you.

Id go for that ultra rare 34 inch ride cymbal that been on here lately and use it to signal a boat to get me the hell off the island.

kick w/ a good pedal, hi-hats & 22" ride. i will MAKE my own snare, a tom & wood-blocks. i think that would be my main project if i wasn't making water or hunting.

Not a snare for me kids....a bigass 18" by 16" Ludwig floor tom in red sparkle, with a 10" splash cymbal.....talkin' drums to the natives bro....

Definitely cymbals. As Mary said, I could build the rest with stuff from the island. Being that I have everything needed to survive, a machete would be included in that list, so look out trees and animals, I need shells and skins!

In all honesty, I would love to be stuck on a desert island as long as my wife and kid were stuck there with me.

My bad. I read rather recklessly at work when I am actually supposed to be WORKING. Snare all the way.....back to my nap.

Excellent point about the cymbals.

I'd find the ride with the most voices I could, and likely take that along. By my thinking, it wouldn't be all that hard to make other percussion instruments on an island. There's hollow stuff about and materials that make noise when you hit them. Cymbals are much harder to re-produce a musical sounding thing with.

Do I get replacement heads for the life for the snare?

If not, then a pair of 14" hats.

Back