Rack suggestions to hold new Rack toms?

spuncky

I'm going to buy some new rack toms pretty soon and was wondering what else i could buy that's cheap but also not complete garbage to hold up 2-3 if both rack tom spots are taken on my bass drum?

Could you swing some more info? What brand are your drums, what sizes of rack toms do you have now, what sizes do you want, pictures, etc.

Typically the cheapest way to add a rack tom is to add a clamp and a tom mount arm from the nearest cymbal stand, like so:
DSGretschBlackRenown1d.jpg

If you're using a tom with Tama-style L-arm mounts, often you can buy a tom mount with an integrated clamp, cutting down on cost:
media.nl

The priciest option is to buy a tom stand for your extra rack tom(s). If you do this, I recommend getting one with an extra clamp space for a cymbal arm, so that you can still angle a crash or splash in where you need it without an extra stand:
418vUglk%2BrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

To help with cutting down on price, check eBay and/or Craigslist in your area for good deals, or check at your local drumshop to see if they have any "gently used" hardware they are letting go for cheaper than new cost. Just make sure it's structurally sound - nothing worse than hardware that won't hold what you put on it securely!

Good luck...

I use a snare stand to hold one of my toms, works fairly well if you don't need it too high up.

Wow, thank you Alpa! And i currently just have one ~10 inch rack tom, i'm most likely going to get some evans rack toms in the near future, maybe an 8 inch and a 12 inch? Any suggestions on sizes though? (if it helps i like to play modern metal music [aka deathmetal/metalcore] and rock) thanks!

Wow, thank you Alpa! And i currently just have one ~10 inch rack tom, i'm most likely going to get some evans rack toms in the near future, maybe an 8 inch and a 12 inch? Any suggestions on sizes though? (if it helps i like to play modern metal music [aka deathmetal/metalcore] and rock) thanks!

Evans drums?? Never knew they made drums, heads yes drums that's a new one on me.

As for sizes what size is your floor tom?

You could go 12 and 14 for a little deeper sound which I'd think for metal you'd want opposed to the higher 8" tom sound. Really up to you go test some out and see which sizes you like best.

Alparrot pretty well hit the nail on the head with your mounting options.

Maybe he thinks evans is the drum brand because that's what brand his heads are.

To answer your question, I don't know what cheap is but the pearl icon rack is one choice. You don't need the full thing, just the one horizontal bar going over your bass drum. You can put your rack toms on it and stick cymbal arms in the vertical bars on each end too (as you can with all racks).

http://www.pearldrum.com/products/hardware/drum-racks/dr-501.aspx

I've got one... it's not very pretty but it's fully functional. Take the pearl logo off it :p

Kinda wish I had of gone with a yamaha hex rack now.

@Kona; I have a 16 inch floor tom, and Dre's right on the evans thing, sorry! and thanks!

@Dre; Thanks for the suggestion!

You could add a 12" rack tom and a 14" or 15" floor tom. That would give you some good bottom for those types of music. You could probably mount both the rack toms off your bass drum if that is comfortable for you.

I already have one rack tom on my bass drum, i just dont have another mount for another rack tom for my bass drum, i also have no idea where to find a mount, help please? Thanks again! :D

Any local music store or any online drums stores like musiciansfriend.com

If you took a picture of what you have now I could tell you exactly what you need and help you to some links to get it. I'd hate for you to buy the wrong part, and you seem new to this (no offense intended).

I am newish to this, yes, and I couldn't really get a good picture, so i just kindof took one of the main area of the toms. I'd like to get a tom to put where i circled in pink, but don't know what exactly to look for, because everything's just a certain size and it gets quite confusing to me, again thank you all for your tremendous amount of help!

Attachments

• IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 996

Thank you so so so so so much!! Also about the tom on the left, i can't get it to stay put, like, i can sit down and push it with a bit of force and it'll move about, 3-4 inches, I've tightened everything i can think of on it and can't get it to stop, any ideas?

Do not push it. All it needs to do is stay put while you play it. If it moves while you are playing it, then you have a problem. Peace and goodwill.

Thank you so so so so so much!! Also about the tom on the left, i can't get it to stay put, like, i can sit down and push it with a bit of force and it'll move about, 3-4 inches, I've tightened everything i can think of on it and can't get it to stop, any ideas?

Like Drumolator said, if you really need to push on it to get it to move, then it's not an issue. If just playing normally is making it move, though, you have an issue. Likely your tom mount on your bass drum is not holding the tom arm tightly enough. Buy some 7/8" memory locks for that tom arm to help keep it where you put it.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=drum+memory+lock&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS472US472&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1600&bih=915&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1613693864246227538&sa=X&ei=Yqj5T5qpBsi3rQGX65GLCQ&ved=0CF4Q8wIwATgK
BzFyRo0HTh6PXfYn-PjUExwDw5liptuIWRifilHOXLOF3Xnkdhc9M_cpU9vCpnFUKu1lSJnLRaz7T3gk8HWQXH4fofWUanoQcvC0J_PclAI4lSWtVRhRES2hYMLuROspTTK1_3gAyUS36du9gCGRvurk13HD204V1AGY7roGNdBtXouhjjVYBTWncHgl6ccqVAJBY7xm

Back