Ari Hoenig

NouveauCliche

www.arihoenig.com (Check out ANY of the 4 video clips)

I first saw Ari with Kenny Warner about 2 years ago at our college. He came into the gig with just his cymbals and asked to see what kind of sets the college had for use, etc. He ended up playin on I belive a tama 16inch floor as a kick, a snare, two rides and hats. It was probably the most life changing drumming experience I'd has since I first saw Buddy Rich. Ari Hoenig isn't a chops god, though he has his share, it's his absolute MUSICALITY that drove me insane. I watch an entire orchestra/big band standing off to the sides of the stage in literal silent awe of what they were seeing him play. HIs phrasing and the sheer amount of different and most importantly, MUSICAL tones he was able to draw from that minimalist kit was amazing. I was in literal shock for a while after. He completely changed my idea of a drummer can and SHOULD be able to do with his kit, and he was an amazing example of how chops are mere tools to express musicality and shouldn't be the forefront of anyone's playing.

If he reads these forums, I'd like to thank him for completely changing my idea of how to musical on the kit. ...OH, and I wish you would have had the chance to play MY set, I have a yamaha maple custom, which I've seen your perfom with. No offence to the Tama's. ;-)

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Ari_Hoenig.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea dude Ari is the man. The thing about him is that theres not one wasted note, everthing he plays is so strong and down to the point,not to mention melodic, with him its like music first before drums. Its the guys like him that keep me motivated to play every day.

What an amazing drummer! But my god, is his technique weird! He looks like he should have a hammer in his hand, not a stick... I've no idea how he gets such a great sound out considering how much of his playing seems to come from the shoulder, let alone the elbow...

Yes Finn - weird.

Perhabs he studied a little too much Brian Blade???? Could be if I close my eyes and only listening....

I put him on DW some time ago, because he has a huge followship over there - and he's a very nice guy. Just see also a little Matt Wilson in it....

Bernhard

NouveauCliche said:
www.arihoenig.com (Check out ANY of the 4 video clips)

I first saw Ari with Kenny Warner about 2 years ago at our college. He came into the gig with just his cymbals and asked to see what kind of sets the college had for use, etc. He ended up playin on I belive a tama 16inch floor as a kick, a snare, two rides and hats. It was probably the most life changing drumming experience I'd has since I first saw Buddy Rich. Ari Hoenig isn't a chops god, though he has his share, it's his absolute MUSICALITY that drove me insane. I watch an entire orchestra/big band standing off to the sides of the stage in literal silent awe of what they were seeing him play. HIs phrasing and the sheer amount of different and most importantly, MUSICAL tones he was able to draw from that minimalist kit was amazing. I was in literal shock for a while after. He completely changed my idea of a drummer can and SHOULD be able to do with his kit, and he was an amazing example of how chops are mere tools to express musicality and shouldn't be the forefront of anyone's playing.

If he reads these forums, I'd like to thank him for completely changing my idea of how to musical on the kit. ...OH, and I wish you would have had the chance to play MY set, I have a yamaha maple custom, which I've seen your perfom with. No offence to the Tama's. ;-)

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Ari_Hoenig.html

I totally agree with you. I saw him in Malmoe in Sweden a year ago with Chris Potter - man you should've been there! Ari Hoenig realy has great taste. I love his drum sound and it is amazing what he can do with that small kit.
Bill Stewart is also good but Ari Hoenig is more gifted - he always surprises me.
By the way, I saw Bill Stewart two weeks ago in Kopenhagen and it was fun to see how much jazz licks that guy has.

I played with Ari quite a bit in High School back in philly. Back then he was in the shadows of another great young cat Little John Roberts. There was one group Ari and I played in and we recorded a demo for some competition and played Freddie Hubbard's Little Sunflower. Ari took a solo on that tune that was as developed and melodic as any of the other cats. Like it has been stated several times, his musicality is ridiculous. Having seen and heard his playing over the last 10+ years I thoroughly enjoy hearing Ari. And I know he must be doing something because he can count my dad as one of his fans which is not easy for any drummer to do.

I like Ari's "The Painter" album. Phenomenal stuff. I recently got Gilad Hekselman's album, "Splitlife", and Ari plays drums there. http://www.amazon.com/Splitlife-Gil...id=1162518710/ref=sr_11_1/002-2039482-3811219

Splitlife is a terrific album. Gilad's playing is mesmerizing, and the album reminds me of a close quarters Scofield-like album, but Gilad's definitely got his own style. Ari has some really great brush work on the Splitlife album. I thought the album was a studio album, but it sounds like it is in a nightclub type setting. I like how some of the tunes move and have a good uptempo feel, but still retain a soft, delicate feel. Real precision and musical playing.

Steve

Yeah sshu,
I agree whole heartedly. Any one into Ari who hasn't got his quartet album 'the painter' should seriously consider it. Taking melody playing to new heights. Some of the rythmic concepts are mind blowing too, without getting overly intellectual and killing the music. Must get his Kinetic dvd. Man he is some player!

I've wanted to start practicing the way he plays melodies. Not just referring to it throughout (in comping or solo), but actually figuring it out note for note and being able to play along with it. You could pull out some amazing straight up melodies or some killer unison ideas coming out of a section. It creates so many possibilities!

I might start a new thread in general on this.

Last edited:
Yeah sshu,
I agree whole heartedly. Any one into Ari who hasn't got his quartet album 'the painter' should seriously consider it. Taking melody playing to new heights. Some of the rythmic concepts are mind blowing too, without getting overly intellectual and killing the music. Must get his Kinetic dvd. Man he is some player!

I've wanted to start practicing the way he plays melodies. Not just referring to it throughout (in comping or solo), but actually figuring it out note for note and being able to play along with it. You could pull out some amazing straight up melodies or some killer unison ideas coming out of a section. It creates so many possibilities!

I might start a new thread in general on this.

Oops. Just saw this post here after the thread you started in another area. Anyway, Ari looks like he has another album coming out next year ... pretty cool ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&coliid=I1NZSXLH4SJFO1&colid=11JKUW7PX4BJJ

Steve

What an amazing drummer! But my god, is his technique weird! He looks like he should have a hammer in his hand, not a stick... I've no idea how he gets such a great sound out considering how much of his playing seems to come from the shoulder, let alone the elbow...

The thing is, he went to North Texas State, so he's definitely learned some classic hand technique, and I'm sure that if you sat him down on a pad he could show you some incredibly finished technique from gladstone or some other school. The thing it, his technique looks weird but he definitely gets an audible effect when he uses his arms and his shoulders, but whenever he does some singles or technical stuff that requires some technique, he looses all his "habits" and has some very effective use of wrists and fingers. He's a perfect example of someone whose learned the rules and the breaks them.

It should be a law that every drummer must buy and listen to Kenny Werner's live album's Form and Fantasy and Beat Degeneration. Ari's playing on both is 100% smokin'.

Overall though these are a couple of the best albums I've ever heard. The improvising is astonishing and everyones playing beautiful throughout. Kenny Werner is an amazing pianist. I can't understand why he isn't better known.

For the Ari fans who haven't checked these out. Go out and grab them immediately! You'll love them.

Very tasteful playing, i loved it! But yes his technique, (of what he shows in the video) is very arm orientated.
Also Bernhard all the links lead to the one video.
Jazzin' bit random but what are your fav jazz CD shops around here?

The thing is, he went to North Texas State, so he's definitely learned some classic hand technique, and I'm sure that if you sat him down on a pad he could show you some incredibly finished technique from gladstone or some other school. The thing it, his technique looks weird but he definitely gets an audible effect when he uses his arms and his shoulders, but whenever he does some singles or technical stuff that requires some technique, he looses all his "habits" and has some very effective use of wrists and fingers. He's a perfect example of someone whose learned the rules and the breaks them.

So true about the audible effect that you mentioned, I couldn't agree more. Although his technique confuses me the sound he gets out of this drums is incredible! Ari sure does get a lot of work in NYC too, probably one of the hardest working drummers there.

He was here for the Drums Summit a few weeks ago. It sucks I could not make it to the show (I was backlining for another event.) Apparently he was so happy of how things went that he's already planned to come back. I hope I won't miss him next time.

Ari is coming to Denver on April 21,2007 at 1:00 at Lamont School of Music in Denver.

Back