Great LOW snare stand

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Here's one of my kits on a video shoot with Weird Al -

rwbkit.jpg

Note the snare & stand - that's a 10x14" marching snare sitting at a comfortable height, with room to go even lower! You could easily put a 12" deep snare on there. It's a Ludwig Atlas Pro II stand, and is great if you like a deep snare but can never get it to a comfortably low height.

Bermuda

That's great, Bermuda. I've kind of been looking for a lower stand, not so much because I need it, but I have some youngsters who play my kit weekly and I can't quite get the snare low enough for them.

Thanks for sharing!

Very nice set up, Bermuda.

Another low snare stand is the Gibraltar Ultra. It's max height is maybe 20". I bought one a few years ago and now I hardly use it because it's too low.

I may put a rack tom in it for on second kit. Or just sell it someday....

The new Ludwig Atlas hardware is really nice and there are many options to choose from.
I don't need any hardware at present but if I did it would be from the new Atlas line.

Wow, how'd you go that low? I used to have a 12 rack tom in a snare stand and I had to cut off some of the bottom tubing, which would protrude out the bottom several inches at the ideal height. I assume the trade-off is that this stand will never get very high?

Wow, how'd you go that low? I used to have a 12 rack tom in a snare stand and I had to cut off some of the bottom tubing, which would protrude out the bottom several inches at the ideal height. I assume the trade-off is that this stand will never get very high?

I stumbled upon that feature by accident. When I first got the stand, I took it on the road and opened the legs. I noticed that they didn't have as wide a footprint as my previous stand, and I thought that might be a problem, that the stand would wobble and walk. Turned out to be no problem at all, the stand is rock solid. But I realized that the legs didn't spread out as far because they were a little short, and therefore when folded, didn't take up much height. So the bottom section is shorter than usual, and that's what allows the basket to go lower.

Even with the 10" high snare, there's room to spare, and the memory lock could be removed to let the basket go even lower. No question that a 12" deep snare would work with that stand.

I haven't tried, but I assume it won't go too high. That is, I wouldn't use it if standing up (orchestral for example.) But it should support a tom at a nice height, and there are isolation grips that let the drum resonate more than a normal stand does. Same effect for the snare, although I don't know how much we need a snare to resonate.

Bermuda

Back