First song you played along with on drums?

I had buddy that played piano so we "played" Black Sabbath's Iron Man in sixth grade. First time I played along with someone.

Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix.

The first song I ever played on drums was "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor in the 10th grade, on the day I got my first set of cymbals (Zildjian ZBTs). Four months later, I played "Dammit" by Blink-182 with my first band, The Robbing Doorknobs, for our school's talent show.

Guess the song. 1970s ...

DA! DA! DA! .. DA DA DA-DA! .. DA! DA! DA! .. DA DA!

(no, not Cat's in the Cradle)

American Woman? Did I "guess who" right?

The first song I ever played on drums was "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor in the 10th grade, on the day I got my first set of cymbals (Zildjian ZBTs). Four months later, I played "Dammit" by Blink-182 with my first band, The Robbing Doorknobs, for our school's talent show.

Cool, I like hearing the stories behind the songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
American Woman? Did I "guess who" right?

No, though that was on my first ever album - 20 Dynamic Hits. The first song I played along with was Smoke on the Water, which was also the first song I played with a band.

I thought everyone would guess it in a second so it's a damning indictment on my transcription. Would it have helped if it was written ...

DA DA DA
DA-DA DADA
DA DA DA
DA DA

?

No, though that was on my first ever album - 20 Dynamic Hits. The first song I played along with was Smoke on the Water, which was also the first song I played with a band.

I thought everyone would guess it in a second so it's a damning indictment on my transcription. Would it have helped if it was written ...

DA DA DA
DA-DA DADA
DA DA DA
DA DA

?

Well now it makes sense since I know what the song is.....lol

I believe that the first song I played on set was toxicity by system
Of a down, but it was no problem because I was already 3 years into
Playing percussion.

I played In Bloom by Nirvana with a friend of mine on guitar.
The first time I ever played with a full band was Ho Hey by The Lumineers for some music project our area was doing.

"Hold The Line" - Toto

"Wipe out"...what else?Where i grew up.a drummer was rated ...only if he could play "wipe out".

Steve B

First tried VH (first drum song was Jump).

First song I ever got right - Ratt "Wanted Man".

Going to go play it now... Be right back.

A VERY interesting story behind this one.

My first "real" drum set (an OLD 4 piece Gretsch Blue Sparkle) came with a 45 RPM vinyl that was recorded with the ACTUAL drum kit I was purchasing. The seller's son was the drummer on the record and gave up the drums and went off to college leaving the set behind at his parent's house.

I was fascinated with this fact and promptly sat down at the kit and practiced the song over and over until I learned it note for note....with the original kit.

Surprisingly, just for kicks, I looked it up on Youtube (not expecting anything) only to find THIS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUZe-Zf67h4

I swear, the internet has EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

This dates me, but the first one I can remember playing with (and I am going back 50 years or so) is The Dave Clark 5's, "Bits and Pieces." You know, "I'm in pieces, bits and pieces" Loved them red sparkled Roger's drums. Thanks Dave (and whoever played on the record). LOL! But really my thanks go to Dave Clark and the DC5.

Attachments

• 91142946.jpg
    91142946.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 233
Pink Floyd - Hey you and Wish you were here was what I started with but he first song I nailed was Big Balls - AC DC

I think it might have been stinkfist by tool. Not all that interesting really lol.

In Aus we have triple j hottest 100 compilations and I remember bashing away on my beginner kit, in the garage with a crappy old stereo turned right up.

I can't remember the first one I banged on pots and pans with.

The first one I ever learned on my first kit had to be "And Justice For All"

Back