Low budget drum recording help!

Yeah, I tried mounting and placing the Zoom H2 in various locations to bring up the volume of the bass drum. However when I placed it right in front of the BD, I couldn't get clean tones from the HH and snare (which took me meticulous hours to tune!).

I have the 3 mics AND an iPod into the Behringer mixer. This goes from the mixer's headphone output into the Zoom H2. I listen along with headphones plugged into the H2 while recording. I did some test recordings, and they sound clean.

This means I will not be using ANY AUDIO from the cheapy Canon camera file, just the video. So I will have to figure out how to turn off the audio from this video file. Do-able in Movie Maker, right?

(I'll put some Thunder and Lightning too!)

Good stuff BigDin!

Yes, you most definitely can mute the audio from the video file in Movie Maker; not a problem.

By the way, I added the thunder and lightning in CyberLink's PowerDirector, so I cheated a little. :) But Movie Maker has some cool effects too.

Good luck!

BigDin,

I forgot to mention. Have you tried sitting the H2 further away from the bass drum, instead of placing it right in front? I recommend two, even three meters (or three yards) away from the front of the bass drum. This should limit distortion, and maybe even get a more distributed sound from the bass drum and snare. You may also try placing the H2 on the floor, and then maybe off the floor a little bit. Also, experiment with the 90 degree microphone setting, and then the 120 degree setting, and see how that goes.

Ok - Omar,

I'll try some other angles and distances. If it's not right in front of the bass drum, I don't get enough "Thump". I had it about 1.5 feet to the right of the bass drum's front, and managed good volume, but not a crisp tone from the snare or hihat. That's when I started plugging in the mic's and going to Radio Shack for plug adaptors!

I'll wait on the lightning. I'm already in over my head with Movie maker!

Back