Alesis Sample Pad

Just so you know, you can buy the 8 pad Alesis sample pad for $159 brand new, and the 4 pad for $99.

Just so you know, you can buy the 8 pad Alesis sample pad for $159 brand new, and the 4 pad for $99.

The SamplePad is 4 pads (and a foot pedal trigger input) like the PercPad. But $159 is a great price!

Bermuda

Well, ok then $125.00, that better :) The mount alone cost me $15.00 and the card was another $10.00 so I think that's more than fair!

Re: Samples not playing Alesis SamplePad

Having problems playing samples via sd card. My samples seem to load fine as i seem them in the display, but all i get is a clicking sound ,like others here have experienced. Tried every suggestion i found with no results. Internal sounds are ok. Bit/sample rates, mono, format to fat32,sample named correctly, and copied to root of card. Samples converted using several audio programs as well as Audacity. Unfortunately no luck. Would it be possible for someone to send me a couple of short samples that actually work on their pads so i can confirm whether it's a sample issue or problem with the pad? Any more suggestions?..Thanks

Not sure why the pad would read the card but not play the samples, and I should mention here that the pad is kinda picky about the type/size card you use. I haven't troubleshot the right specs, but I know that some cards work, and some don't. But, if the card wasn't working, you wouldn't even see the sample names or be able to go through the loading process.

So, I don't know why your samples won't play, I haven't experienced that. If they're 16bit mono .wav files at resolutions like 44.1, 22,050, 11,025hz etc, and the pad sees them, it should play them. Does your pad play its internal sounds?

Bermuda

Finally got my samples to work so won't be needing samples. Seems i forgot to strip the metadata when i converted using Audacity. Metadata editor is under: File->Open Metadata Editor. Not that familiar with Audacity and there was a two word entry there that i removed that did the trick. Hope this helps.

It plays 16/44.1 .wavs (CD standard) so yes it will reproduce it. The bigger concern will be whether your amp or p.a. will handle the lows.

Bermuda

It plays 16/44.1 .wavs (CD standard) so yes it will reproduce it. The bigger concern will be whether your amp or p.a. will handle the lows.

Bermuda

They will. Thank you. Great forum. And you are a hero for being so quick on replies here.

Hey,
I bought an Alesis Samplepad. I want to use it as a Start/Stop controller for my backtrack( from the MacBook).
I have tried to do it with Cubase LE5 and an US-122MKII Interface but it does not work.

My question is, what kind of (cheap/free) software I could use or what would you prefer to use in that situation?

You should be able to at least send midi signals with a cheap 1X1 midi interface. As far as DAW's go, ableton is all I really use. But it should work with Cubase as well. Are you familiar with midi programming?

Hello everyone, I'm new here in the forum and I live in Brazil and would like help from you too, I'm about to buy the Alesis SamplePad, and quite liked that topic, is quite enlightening, congratulations.
But I did not understand the following, each sample should be maximum 14mb or the sum of all samples should have 14mb? and why?
I would be grateful if someone could enlighten me.
Thanks for the help and sorry for bad english lol
Hug!

The toal of all samples combined cannot exceed 14mb, that's the memory (ram) limit, and part of why the pad is so inexpensive.

It's really made for basic drum hits and short sound effects, and can hold almost 3 minutes worth of those! that's a lot, considering how little memory is required by most snares, toms, kicks, claps, congas, etc.

But it's not designed to play backing tracks, or hold a LOT of samples at one time. Those features are found in other units, and you also pay a LOT more for them.

Bermuda

Ok, now I get it, I was not paying attention to RAM. very nice. Thank you kindly for responding so quickly Bermuda.

Another question on the SamplePad. I have one, I've been using it in my gig setup over the past 6 months since I've had it and it's been great. Now I'd like to try using a trigger on my kick with it. Has anyone used this feature? I'm wondering if any particular trigger seems to work better than others. I've never used acoustic triggers before. I'm finding ddrum and Roland triggers online. There are ddrum triggers for about $39 and $69, and I'm wondering if the more expensive one works better? Any comments appreciated.

Another question on the SamplePad. I have one, I've been using it in my gig setup over the past 6 months since I've had it and it's been great. Now I'd like to try using a trigger on my kick with it. Has anyone used this feature? I'm wondering if any particular trigger seems to work better than others. I've never used acoustic triggers before. I'm finding ddrum and Roland triggers online. There are ddrum triggers for about $39 and $69, and I'm wondering if the more expensive one works better? Any comments appreciated.

I just ordered a SamplePad and I have the same question. It seems like some of the triggers require a preamp to get them to the level needed. Anyone have experience using triggers on a samplepad?

I am eyeing the alesis samplepad pro. Anyone got one of those?

Couldnt this be hooked up to a program like ableton to use a pad hit as a starting a track etc?

I saw Bermuda say they arent made for backing tracks. (i am guessing as far as storing on the samplepad itself). I dont really see why it wouldnt work to trigger tracks store on a computer?

I am eyeing the alesis samplepad pro. Anyone got one of those?

Couldnt this be hooked up to a program like ableton to use a pad hit as a starting a track etc?

I saw Bermuda say they arent made for backing tracks. (i am guessing as far as storing on the samplepad itself). I dont really see why it wouldnt work to trigger tracks store on a computer?

One of those on the right of the attached? Nope never seen one before ;) lol.

Yeah it has MIDI in and out and MIDI over USB, every pad can be set to any midi note so should be able trigger just about anything. If you want to load your own sounds on it then its 16 bit stereo or mono 48K and below wav files, they can be set to single shot or loop with mute groups etc if you wanted to go from one loop to a different loop for example. The pads are obviously velocity sensitive but they dont have to be if you want trigger a consistent volume. Only thing I would say is the load time to load all the wavs is quite slow.

I use mine sometimes to trigger AD2 if I need a drum kit in a laptop bag for any reason. Yeah, they fit nicely into a laptop bag.

Attachments

• DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 345
I'm not fancy in terms of electronic drums, but I purchased the sample pad pro as an xmas gift to myself. I wanted to use it mostly when I needed special sounds or effects and didn't want to haul a bunch of gear. It's also great for church when they want timpani or chimes.

It's super easy to use and I was able to upload my own samples. As far as backing tracks I think they can only be a certain length but again I'm not very knowledgeable about it. I chose it over the more expensive roland or yamaha because I'm not doing as much with it to justify $600+

I am just trying to debate if i would be better with getting something like this to trigger tracks / loops, or something more like a launchpad (controller).

Back