V-Drums kit without the module for use with Studio Drummer?

NBarnes21

Hey all,

I'm wanting to invest in a nice set of V-Drums pads to be able to use with Studio Drummer via MIDI. I don't need the full on expensive module with the sound banks and mixer as I'll be getting all my sounds from Studio Drummer. I do however need something to connect all the triggers/pads to so I can then go into my computer via my RME Babyface's MIDI in/out. What are my options here?

The only kits I see online include the module (which comprises a fair amount of the total cost), and buying individual pads seems to cost almost as much as buying the full kit with module. I just need kick, snare, 2 toms, hat, ride, and a crash or two. I do really prefer the feel and accuracy of the V-Drums pads, but would also be open to other models/brands. Any suggestions?

I would look into a used older roland kit, you can get the pads your after with a brian that has MIDI for a lot less than something new. I would think that TD 10 kits should be way down in price since there is the 20 and 30 out.

Alesis makes a usb kit that uses your computer as the brain, might. Look at that as well

I've seen racks, modules and pads (either singles or combos) on sale by themselves but don't think I've ever seen a 2nd hand e-kit for sale with the entire kit ready to go minus the module (and yes, buying everything individually would be prohibitively expensive).
Cheapest, used TD-10 kit you can find might be the way to go as suggested (you can always sell the TD-10 module and at least get some money back).

Thanks, that's helpful info y'all. I found this Aleisis interface, its pretty cheap ($150 ish):

http://www.alesis.com/triggerio

I'm thinking ill buy a used v drums kit and sell the module separately afterward, and get the Alesis to run into my interface. Should work in theory right?
I would say so. As long as you won't need more than 10 inputs in the future, should serve you well!

Back