Phil Maturano here!

Hi Phil,
about two weeks ago my drum teacher was at a clinic in Germany (I think in a Jazz cellar in "Jena") and he loved it! He really liked your way of explaining and playing...and talked to you after the show (glasses, long brown hair). :)

Just thought I`d tell you...I actually also wanted to come to this event but unfortunatly I had to learn for a school test...German, arghhh! lol

best,
Karl

Hi Phil,
about two weeks ago my drum teacher was at a clinic in Germany (I think in a Jazz cellar in "Jena") and he loved it! He really liked your way of explaining and playing...and talked to you after the show (glasses, long brown hair). :)

Just thought I`d tell you...I actually also wanted to come to this event but unfortunatly I had to learn for a school test...German, arghhh! lol

best,
Karl

Hi Karl...well...maybe next time. School is important too:)
See you soon. I will be playing at the Drums and Percussion magazine 25th anniversary event November 30th December 1rst and 2nd. its a 3 day event which will be GREAT! come by!
Kind regards
PM

Hi Karl...well...maybe next time. School is important too:)
See you soon. I will be playing at the Drums and Percussion magazine 25th anniversary event November 30th December 1rst and 2nd. its a 3 day event which will be GREAT! come by!
Kind regards
PM

Thanks for the information Phil! And I agree, school is important! =)
Was a pretty unfortunate situation though...but okay, where will those Drums&Percussion concerts be exactly? The dates are great actually!! No tests this time. lol

regards,

Karl

I use what is called a time managment matrix. A system we devoloped at PIT yeeeeeaars ago. It is used to maximize and focus practice time. It is pretty involved and uses intelectual/spiritual concepts as well as physical. It is too extensive to write about here. But thats what I do.

Hi Phil

Please-O-Please elaborate on this concept...
I'm always intrigued by practice routines used by players I look up to....

" intelectual/spiritual concepts as well as physical" - sounds deep....

Can you atleast give us the watered down version :D

Hi Phil

Please-O-Please elaborate on this concept...
I'm always intrigued by practice routines used by players I look up to....

" intelectual/spiritual concepts as well as physical" - sounds deep....

Can you atleast give us the watered down version :D

Well...its not easy to water down. I can tell you it involves using a time management matrix and is very detailed in nature. The way to really make progress is by following a system and tracking results. If someone takes a private lesson with me, we dedicate half hour to learning the system. Thats how involved it is.

BTW...have you seen the new videos??
Peace
PM

Well...its not easy to water down. I can tell you it involves using a time management matrix and is very detailed in nature. The way to really make progress is by following a system and tracking results. If someone takes a private lesson with me, we dedicate half hour to learning the system. Thats how involved it is.

Aight....
Well if you ever do decide to come to L.A. let me know cause I'm down for a lesson...

BTW...have you seen the new videos??
Peace
PM

Nah...which ones?

BTW - I think I'm starting to get some independence against the Tumbao ostinato using your book....I can even so some pulled back triplets against it....but those 5 and 7 note groupings are still killer :D

hey phil.
i hope you are doing fine. i hope to see you again sometimes. it was nice to meet you in germany and of course was nice talking to you.

and guys these phil maturano here, is a very good one, he is sharing the fire. after the clinics he gaved i was like a rocket and cant wait to go out and play. thats what i like at him. this inspiration and feel. very beautiful.

and hey you forgot to wrote back phil ;-) i dont want to say the word wit A... you know :)

best wishes!!!

hey phil.
i hope you are doing fine. i hope to see you again sometimes. it was nice to meet you in germany and of course was nice talking to you.

and guys these phil maturano here, is a very good one, he is sharing the fire. after the clinics he gaved i was like a rocket and cant wait to go out and play. thats what i like at him. this inspiration and feel. very beautiful.

and hey you forgot to wrote back phil ;-) i dont want to say the word wit A... you know :)

best wishes!!!

ohhh nooo bro! Hahahaha
Man...see...it gets crazy sometimes. I remember reading your last email and cracking up. then forgot to write you paaaaaaaaaaaaaa! So sorry. You needed PDF files? That was it right?
Big hugs and thanks for the kind words
PM

ohhh nooo bro! Hahahaha
Man...see...it gets crazy sometimes. I remember reading your last email and cracking up. then forgot to write you paaaaaaaaaaaaaa! So sorry. You needed PDF files? That was it right?
Big hugs and thanks for the kind words
PM

dont worry, i know you be under pressure. you have my email, you can write, if not i will be sad....hahaha

yeah, the pdfs, they are not on that dvd, i checked them but i didnt find them.

by the way on that dvd you look a little bit like dave weckl, just some specific picture, just the outer appeareance. :)

okay, see you soon.

and by the way: new clips from the DVD are here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Phil_Maturano.html

or Frontpage entry:

http://www.drummerworld.com/index2.html

so great drumming Phil!!!!

Bernhard

Dear Bernhard,
I cannot thank you enough for the great page you made for me here. To have your peers like what you do is the greatest honor one could ask for. One thing is to have people who are outside of music, understand and like what you do. But when other musicians say what you have just said....it reaches you on a very deep level. Some one like you, with an obvious love for the instrument, who has seen many many drummers, who has built this one of a kind flux point of information and discovery out of your love and passion...I am honored to be a part of it. The road to get to this point in my life has been a test of patience and belief in the beauty of music. There were times when money was scarce and all I heard from the people around me was ..."Oh drumming...you will never make a living from that. It's too hard etc etc"
Nothing was ever served on a silver platter to me. I have always lived for the day to play drums.
This journey has been one of constant sacrifice, self discovery, joy, commitment, hunger, abundance, defeat, victory, defeat, victory, defeat, victory, set back, growth, elation, courage, friendship, betrayal, new friendship, happiness, sadness, great satisfaction and through it all...Drumming kept me sane. Those elements are sketched into everyone's playing. If you have the courage to channel them into music, it's wondrous to hear. I always felt like watching someone play is like having insight to their deepest thoughts, secrets, and inner mind. Their discipline, belief in themselves, commitment to their instrument and connection to the magical part of what makes us most human. This most personal part of them...when it is allowed the courage to come through.... When you see this, it's as if you are hit in the gut by an enormous cathartic force. And your life is changed forever. I aspire to that, every time. As if it were the last time I get to play. To take a breath and live on this earth. I can only hope that all of that comes through, every time.

The internet has brought us all much closer. We can now keep each other inspired and help to stay focused on the journey, no matter what part of the world we find ourselves in. My time spent traveling around the world eradicated what I once thought truly mattered in life. The very small and distorted points of view about what making a living is, and what life is about. It allowed me the mental and spiritual freedom to continue to grow on in drumming. I hope that comes through in my playing. And I am inspired by your passion here, that you show through Drummerworld. It is truly...A beautiful thing.

Big hugs
PM
www.philmaturano.com
www.myspace.com/philmaturanodrums
www.youtube.com/philmaturanodrums

hay phil maturano

how did you learn your great lick
en how do you learn that stuff you play?

greets, derk

hay phil maturano

how did you learn your great lick
en how do you learn that stuff you play?

greets, derk

I practiced like hell for years, studied with great drummers and went to their gigs. Bought every drum book and video i could get my hands on and watched live music as much as possible. When i wasnt playing I went to gigs....EVERY night I had off in fact...for years. I would hit 2 to 5 clubs a night. Saw tons of great drummers, known and unknown. Thanks for asking
PM

hi Phil,

how about naming some great latin bands we all definitly have to listen to?
in cologne you said some name i cant remember, like M....deng deng deng...

i think thats some kind of going to latin gigs, but here in germany we dont have sooo much latin music. and i think in many other places in the world,too.

and you still forgot.....

best wishes!!!!!

hi Phil,

how about naming some great latin bands we all definitly have to listen to?
in cologne you said some name i cant remember, like M....deng deng deng...

i think thats some kind of going to latin gigs, but here in germany we dont have sooo much latin music. and i think in many other places in the world,too.

and you still forgot.....

best wishes!!!!!

Hey bro write me an email again.

As far as Bands go...I start everyone off on "Muñequitos de Matanza" To train your ears into the music! Then go from there.

NG La Banda
Ray Barreto
Tito Puente (of course)
Semi newer stuff , a group called "Bamboleo" (Timba)
There is a real nice CD called Clave y Guaguanco with Celeste Mendoza & Changuito
Cachao (of course)
Poncho Sanchez
Manilito y su Trabuco
Issac Delgado
La Charanga Habanera

Start there.

By the way there are tons of gigs going on in Germany , tons of clinics and workshops.

for example
The Drums and Percussion festival starting Novembr 29th. It will be Myself, Jojo Mayer and many other great drummers from Europe. If you miss this then...I dont know what to tell you. My group is playing a concert there, with Master teacher, New York bassist Irio O'farrel (cuba) He is also on the staff of Drummers collective... Since the beginning.
Here is the link...

http://www.drumsundpercussion.de/(4...opDefault.aspx?alias=dp&lang=de-DE&tabID=3630

NO excuse for staying home:)
Best
PM

Phil,

I got your album yesterday and spent last night and this morning listening to it. I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy it. I heard some of it on myspace, but hearing it on my stereo is a whole different experience. My wife is convinced that she heard the first tune on XM radio. Do you know if you are getting played on XM? Also, the CD I got doesn't have any track names. I got it from CD baby, so I don't think it's a bootleg. What's up with that? I will hopefully be ordering your DVD soon as well.

I found myself wanting to hear some congas on a few of the tracks and then a light-bulb went on in my head and I realized that this might actually be a great album to play along with.

I would encourage everyone to check out this album as well. Great jazz and afro-cuban playing. A true "Latin-Jazz" album.

Back