What heads should I get for my youth room's drum set?

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
I'm usually in charge of the worship and I lead worship for our youth at my church and our pinstripe heads have been on there for five years. The writing has almost worn off so the church is giving me some money to go and buy some new heads for the kit, plus a snare head. There is no ceiling really but I don't want to end up spending a whole lot.

Mainly it's pretty simple, we have a couple drummers and we play pretty low key worship stuff, as I lead with an acoustic guitar. They have o-rings on all of the toms which really bothers me and I end up taking them off whenever I play them. I'd like to get away from those O-rings if possible, considering they are using o-rings with pinstripes already!

They left it up to me as to what sounds we want, but I'm guessing the person who put the heads on before was aiming for a very muffled sound for the room. The kit is a Pearl Export from the 90s or early 00s I believe. We have a 12, 13, and 16 standard set.

Should I stay with the muffled/no overtones sound or should I expand my horizons and aim for more open tones for this kit this time?

You could always get some emperors and put a spot of moon gel on them if necessary. They should still be pretty open sounding.

I would recomend either a pack of Evans EC2's or G2's. They're high quality, great sounding heads and they're less expensive than the alternatives (saving your church some money). The EC2's will control the overtones (they don't eliminate them) a bit more (which might be the way to go, depending on the style of playing and sound of the space). If you want something more open, the G2's are great (clear or coated) and hold up well.

Best of luck!

You have common sizes, why not look at some pre packaged deals at guitar center or musicians friend?

At GC, if you be 3 you get a snare head free.

I just put Pinstripes on my sonors and they sound good, but mine are 12, 16, 18.

I'd go with some coated Ambassadors/Emperors over coated Ambassadors on the toms.
And a coated Abassador/Vintage Ambassador over a Snare Side Ambassador on the snare. You can really get a variety of sounds depending on what you like with these combos.

I personally hate muffled heads due to the fact that you can't un-muffle them. With 1 or 2-ply heads you can do whatever you want.

IMHO, Export toms sound better with two-ply heads. I have Evans G2 over G1 on mine, and they sound great. For the bass drum, I use an Evans EQ3 on the batter side. On my best snare I have an Evans EC1 Reverse Dot. I play on the worship team at our church, but the church has its own set, donated my me. Peace and goodwill.

Back