Have I sold out?

I wasn't sure which thread to post this in but I wanted to get the forum's opinion.

I know several musicians who are either unemployed or working part-time. I haven't met anyone who has a regular 9-5 job like I do. yet. When I ask, they cringe at the thought of wasting 40 hours a week in a cubicle or office environment, etc. For as long as I've been playing in bands I've had some kind of job going on. In my early 20s, I went on an extended tour with my punk band and had a taste of what my life would be like if I gave up all I had and went for broke. Unfortunately, the end of the tour revealed harsh realities among my bandmates and within the the next few months, we disbanded. Unsure of continuing to play drums or be involved in music altogether, my dad advise that I get a degree in network engineering so that I am not struggling to make a buck. A few years later I graduated with a degree and began my post-music career in IT.

Today, I'm 30 years old, not married, have no kids and make decent money. I currently perform in two bands outside of my 9-5 job, possibly a 3rd if the audition goes well. Drumming is my passion but somehow I can't see myself giving up the steady income I earn to go on an extended tour like my last punk band did. Have I sold out in a way, have my ideas of success changed as I got older or am I just a hobbyist? Silly as it is, I'm stoked just to be playing at rehearsal or at a bar with less than 10 people.

Look at it this way. What are you really missing by being in bands that stay local and do local stuff? In the meantime, you're making money in a lucrative field and have a career.

We will always need network and IT guys. But it's one in a million to make that much money in a year as a drummer. You're not a sellout. You're smart.

There are several pros on this board that play whatever it takes to make a living - but they're playing music for a living, which is no small feat and I have no interest in minimizing their achievements, but ... for me, I really like the originals route and there's really no money in that (at least not for us 99.9999 %-ers).

I like playing dingy little bars to 10 people. We might start off playing to 10 people and if 5 are left at the end, and if they have grins on their faces, then I put an X in the 'win' column. I also enjoy rehearsals where we're putting together and nailing down new material because when we're done and like what we've got, then we go into a cheap studio and have someone record us. Because it's always on our own dime, there is nobody to please but ourselves (no producer, per se) and we're not beholden to anyone or entity. It's really the whole process that is fun for me. I prefer having my income come from elsewhere that allows me to do that. How else can you fund band rent, equipment purchases, and studio time?

But back to the original question ...

You can call yourself a sellout if:
1) You get a day job and give up your dream of playing for a living, or
2) You play whatever paying gig is offered you, no matter if it suits your musical preferences, so that you can avoid the morning commute.

It cuts both ways and just comes down to what your personal drivers are.

There are several pros on this board that play whatever it takes to make a living - but they're playing music for a living, which is no small feat and I have no interest in minimizing their achievements, but ... for me, I really like the originals route and there's really no money in that (at least not for us 99.9999 %-ers).

I like playing dingy little bars to 10 people. We might start off playing to 10 people and if 5 are left at the end, and if they have grins on their faces, then I put an X in the 'win' column. I also enjoy rehearsals where we're putting together and nailing down new material because when we're done and like what we've got, then we go into a cheap studio and have someone record us. Because it's always on our own dime, there is nobody to please but ourselves (no producer, per se) and we're not beholden to anyone or entity. It's really the whole process that is fun for me. I prefer having my income come from elsewhere that allows me to do that. How else can you fund band rent, equipment purchases, and studio time?

But back to the original question ...

You can call yourself a sellout if:
1) You get a day job and give up your dream of playing for a living, or
2) You play whatever paying gig is offered you, no matter if it suits your musical preferences, so that you can avoid the morning commute.

It cuts both ways and just comes down to what your personal drivers are.

You make a good point, at least you kind of see where the money is going when doing originals but to not see any money coming in would be discouraging. I don't expect anything in return for any of the original acts I'm involved in. I did play covers for this dave matthews type of act at really nice venues but the pay was just a bonus. I'll tell you, a 30min set with an original act doesn't cut it sometimes but a 3-hour cover gig will definitely get my fix for the week.

I don't think it's an issue. If the regular job allows you to indulge your hobbies then I see no harm in that. It's a case of making informed financial decisions. If the band starts making serious money, then treat it seriously and eventually you may very well be able to cut some of your employment commitments. Without a family and with the age you are, I can see no harm in that provided that you are able to get another job if the band doesn't work out.

Really, if you are pursuing music as your sole source of income then you have to take what you can when you can. There are many professional musicians working on a regular level that have very long and varied back catalogues. Weighing up what is important is the key. Stability and guaranteed income or a big risk and instability.

Look at it this way. What are you really missing by being in bands that stay local and do local stuff? In the meantime, you're making money in a lucrative field and have a career.

We will always need network and IT guys. But it's one in a million to make that much money in a year as a drummer. You're not a sellout. You're smart.

Thanks for the kind words. Shouldn't they have the like button on forums by now?

For most people, life after your 20s is a gradual process of settling down, all the way until old age and death. It sounds like you had some great times on tour and it was what you needed and wanted at the time. I wish I would have done something like that, instead of being so conservative.

I'm reporting this to the mods. Extremely offensive.

Nah. Just threaten to meet him in person and beat him senseless.

I mean, it's the only reasonable conclusion one could come to when they live an entire hemisphere and numerous time zones away from the other one, right?

I don't think you're a sell out. Heck, I tried to be a working local and was making pretty good money, but there's always that tinge of "what do I do next"? feeling. I couldn't imagine buying a house and getting married, much less have health benefits for both me and my spouse while struggling to make it as a local player. And I wasn't even doing things that make me famous - it was just the day-in-day-out grind of making the attempt to keep working. It was hard and I eventually moved into what I do now.

I'm like you, I cherish the chances I get to play 'like me' and I'm totally happy to be playing, period. It could even be to an empty room. I still push myself to be as good as I can be, but I'm no longer worried if the phone stops ringing (and sometimes it doesn't ring at all).

You've made a good move.

You have a decent job most likely with some form of benefits which allows you to pursue drumming on your terms. You win!

I was in the same boat back in the 1980's when I viewed playing as an "all or none" kind of thing. Took me a long while to get through / over that and have long since moved on to a career so far outside of music it's not funny.

I love what I do and make good money at it. Able to support a home and family not to mention my drumming passion.

Lastly, having a non-musical career allows me to be the decider on what I do and do not want to play. The notion of playing music I can't stand listening to or playing just to earn a buck makes me want to sell everything I have and never play again.

You have a decent job most likely with some form of benefits which allows you to pursue drumming on your terms. You win!

I was in the same boat back in the 1980's when I viewed playing as an "all or none" kind of thing. Took me a long while to get through / over that and have long since moved on to a career so far outside of music it's not funny.

I love what I do and make good money at it. Able to support a home and family not to mention my drumming passion.

Lastly, having a non-musical career allows me to be the decider on what I do and do not want to play. The notion of playing music I can't stand listening to or playing just to earn a buck makes me want to sell everything I have and never play again.

Man, that's interesting, I never looked at it that way. I somehow felt I was on some kind of timetable with life as if I wasn't playing drums I was just aging away (proof that drumming keeps you young). While I was in college, I played in a band but it wasn't as serious as the one I toured with. That's a great perspective, I guess I did choose the right profession that allowed me to do what I want and still have time for it.

Come to think of it, having worked during the day, what do the full-time musicians do during the day? I would probably be giving lessons all day long until my gig in the evening whatever that may be. I couldn't see myself teaching not because I don't have the patience but probably because I'm horrible at explaining things. Most of my gigs happen obviously in the evening and the same for rehearsals. Gotta give props to the pros who play drums for a living and manage to get by.

I think you should be very happy with what you have - a decent job and still in 2 or 3 bands!

I'm stoked man and way grateful. I'm having more fun than I did in my 20s. It's just crazy how I didn't plan any of this out. Had I not listened to my dad I'd probably be living on the streets or on people's couches.

I don't think you're a sell out. Heck, I tried to be a working local and was making pretty good money, but there's always that tinge of "what do I do next"? feeling. I couldn't imagine buying a house and getting married, much less have health benefits for both me and my spouse while struggling to make it as a local player. And I wasn't even doing things that make me famous - it was just the day-in-day-out grind of making the attempt to keep working. It was hard and I eventually moved into what I do now.

I'm like you, I cherish the chances I get to play 'like me' and I'm totally happy to be playing, period. It could even be to an empty room. I still push myself to be as good as I can be, but I'm no longer worried if the phone stops ringing (and sometimes it doesn't ring at all).

You've made a good move.

I agree completely. There's so many auditions that pay well and if I don't get the call no big deal, it's nice having the assurance of a steady paycheck that's non-musical. At the same time it's pretty humbling rolling up to a gig with a truck (an expensive one that I paid off with blood and sweat) and people get the notion that my drumming has earned me this truck. I stop them mid-sentence and tell them "Naw man, I'm an IT during the day." it's pretty humbling though.

###next time I'll use the mult-quote button####

Love this discussion so far. I've been coming to drummerworld for years but never thought of joining the forum. Guess I have something else to help me get through the work day, ha!

Sell out? heck no.

There are a lot of musicians who seems successful, but really, it's only appearance. They only get by because they have a side day job, married someone with a great job, or still live at home with their parents in between tours. The music business is a tough place to make money.

There are a lot of guys walking around in their 40's and 50's working near minimum wage jobs living like in cramp apartments with multiple room mates because they spent their entire lives "not wanting to sell out." Nothing wrong with securing the ability to not have to live like that.

Back