Head for Dixon Piccolo

Kothlow

I just bought a used dixon 13"x4" piccolo snare, and the head is quite beat up. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for head selection. I have a ludwig acrolite and gretsch mahogany snare I use reverse dots on, but they are 14"x5.5 and 6.5, piccolo's are a new world to me. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• dixon.jpg
    dixon.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,136
I guess I should reword this.. what do you guys use on your piccolo snare's and what kind of sound does it give you?

It all depends on the sound you want. . .If you want lots of overtones and sustain, use a single-ply coated head (Remo Ambassador or equivalent). If you want a super-dry sound with a sharp attack, use a Remo Powerstroke 3 or Evans Genera. For a sound that's somewhere in between the two use a reverse dot head like the ones on your other snares or a double-ply head like a Remo Emperor. Hope this helps!

This helps alot, I was so caught up thinking "wow a piccolo", I had forgot the fact that most head selection rules still apply the same as with a deeper snare ha. I'm going to try an Evans G2 I think, just a little on the dry side. Thanks!

I have a Pearl 3x13 brass piccolo. Last head change I was unable to find a 13" coated emperor (I use coated emps over ambassadors on all my snares and toms), so I went with a powerstroke. Never liked the sound I got...just too dry...almost 'choked' sound for this size drum I found.

Just swapped it over to a coated emp again on the weekend.....sounds like a new snare. The head change really opened the drum up again and allows it to 'sing' as it should. It rings, but not uncontrollably, just the perfect overtone to my ear.

Try the G2 (similar to emperors I believe...never really used Evans heads tho) and see how you go.

Good luck.

Try a Remo Fiberskyn. You will be able to keep that tight piccolo pop and it won't sound plasticky.

I use one on one of my 5" snares and I like the sound. You might like it on a piccolo snare.

Back