Steve Jordan

Steve Jordan is now the new touring drummer for Eric Clapton - taking the seat from Steve Gadd. And the shoes fit for sure...

Bernhard

I saw him on Sunday in Nottingham with EC and his band. He was fantastic. Nothing flash, no big kit with 50 cymbals and 3 bass drums, just a big solid groove all the way through.

I saw Steve last weekend in nottingham uk playing with Eric Clapton, he was solid all night some awesome fills and loads of diffrent styles of playing. There was an awesome section where it was just him playing this amazing grove for a while linking a few songs together. My kind of drummer though...you could watch him allday if he only had bass drum, high hat and snare...got an awesome 'feel' to his stuff just seems to flow.

I went to Paris for a couple of days to see Steve Jordan with Eric Clapton. Got first row - after 6 hours under the french sun- and i managed to snap a few shots of him. Below are a few of them. I'll post video footage soon. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Clapton 28 05 2006 Paris (35) EMAIL.jpg
    Clapton 28 05 2006 Paris (35) EMAIL.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 3,034
  • Clapton 28 05 2006 Paris (42).jpg
    Clapton 28 05 2006 Paris (42).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 3,617
  • Clapton 28 05 2006 Paris (43).jpg
    Clapton 28 05 2006 Paris (43).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 3,094
  • Clapton 28 05 2006 Paris (29) EMAIL.jpg
    Clapton 28 05 2006 Paris (29) EMAIL.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 3,078
Awesome photos man! You must have been real close, i was in the middle of the stands (at nottingham)...What did you think of the show/set. And did Jordan play that grove section? and did you video the whole thing?

BenjiMachine said:
Awesome photos man! You must have been real close, i was in the middle of the stands (at nottingham)...What did you think of the show/set. And did Jordan play that grove section? and did you video the whole thing?

Yeah it was well worth the 6 hour wait! I thought the show was awsome. The new band seemed confortable together, especially with the new members ( Doyle, Derek and steve Jordan). The highlights of the show were probably
'old love' with Robert Cray (who did a great first part) and 'i shot the sheriff' among other great ones. Chris Stainton and Tim Carmon were also amazing on the keys.
Steve Jordan had a nice new groove to 'cocaine' and 'after midnight' (the train goove) and i have to say it sounded weird at first but after getting used to it it fit perfectly. There is so much charizma and feeling in Jordan's playing he can makes a simple rock groove so much more interesting than it is.
Although i'm not a big Clapton fan, i can honnestly say it was one of the best concerts i've seen.

I'll post a link to the videos i took as soon as i put them together. I didnt video the whole thing but a lot of it is down.

Cheers

the Band:
Eric Clapton - guitar, vocals
Doyle Bramhall II - guitar
Derek Trucks - guitar
Chris Stainton - keyboards
Tim Carmon - keyboards
Willie Weeks - bass
Steve Jordan - drums
The Kick Horns (Simon Clarke, Roddy Lorimer, Tim Sanders)
Michelle John - backing vocals
Sharon White - backing vocals

Here is the playlist:

Pretending
So Tired
Got To Get Better In A Little While
Old Love (with Robert Cray)
I Shot The Sheriff
Anyday

sit down set
Back Home
I Am Yours
Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
Running On Faith
Milkcow Blues

After Midnight
Little Queen Of Spades
Motherless Children
Wonderful Tonight
Layla
Cocaine

Encore
Crossroads

Opening Act:
The Robert Cray Band

Last edited:
He's unbelieveable, for sure. I love the Scofield disk, and he makes the John Mayer trio worth sitting through...he's been amazing for years...the groove on "Take it So Hard" by Keith Richards is so great. Highly reccommend his DVD.

Recently I have become interested in Steve Jordan's style and I am wondering if anyone has a list of his complete discography. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah I just recently got John Mayer's "Continuum" and I've been hooked on the two tracks "Vultures" and "I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)." In all seriousness, by beat three of the first bar of "I Don't" my whole body is swaying to that sick groove Jordan lays down.

?uestlove aside, this man probably gets the best snare sounds out there today. Everything from raw and rockin' to fat and funky. What a joy.

Easily one of my favorite drummers of all time. One major influence in my life too. Great pocket, groove, and very versatile.

Hey guys, I am so thrilled to say that I met Steve tonight. He was playing with Sonny Rollins in Vancouver at the Orpheum theatre and I had absolutely no idea that they were playing together until Sonny announced his name. I waited outside the stage door and sure enough there he was. He was even kind of enough to have a quick word with me and he gave me a nice handshake/hug. I only wish now that I had asked him for a signed stick or something, but maybe that would have been too much, you tell me! But the thing that was coolest tonight about Steve, other than meeting him was seeing that he is an incredible jazz drummer. I have only ever heard his recordings and seen his videos with his legendary 'grooves.' I have to say that I feel totally inspired to play now. Does anyone know if he has an email or a fanclub? I would LOVE to get in touch with him and thank him for his inspiration if it is at all possible.

Back