Trick 2.0 Universal Drive Shaft - for Tama. Yamaha & etc.

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
I picked one up a few months ago to get rid of the "1/4 lag on my Yamaha 9315 double pedal on the slave pedal. I can tell you it makes a HUGE difference and it's machined (CNC) unlike the Axis. You will never need another drive shaft after getting this. It feels like I'm playing two bass drums. I play in both a hard rock/funk band and a symphonic metal band (fast double bass drum work in almost every song) and it's so much smoother. Zero fatigue and I'm more comfortable playing faster 32nd note accents at higher speeds. For lower speed stuff, I can really play with lot more power with my left so that my legs are almost back to being equal. Here's some pics with my yamaha 9315 with Tama Iron Cobra wood beaters:

trick20whole.JPG

trick20close.JPG

Can you try and post a photo that isn't so blurry? I'm curious about this. Is it really that much better? Is the shaft adjustable for width (telescoping)?

I'd like a better look at it too.
If you could take a pic that's in focus, and downsize it so you don't have to scroll all over, that would help a lot.

Yup, sorry about that guys I realized the pics were bad after it was too late. I'll take some better pics tonight and post them. You can read up on this at the trick site, the bearings and solid machined feel of this thing really does make a difference.

I need to pick up one of those. I have the same Yamaha double and the driveshaft has developed a ton of play over the years.

Yup @scarlit, it's worth it. May take a few days to get used to it.

Here's some better pics attached to this post (1200 x 900) for those interested in seeing it up close. The bearing housing is really solid.

Attachments

• P1110654.JPG
    P1110654.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 2,054
  • P1110655.jpg
    P1110655.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 1,465
  • P1110658.jpg
    P1110658.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 1,329
  • P1110653.JPG
    P1110653.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 1,555
  • P1110652.JPG
    P1110652.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,558
  • P1110651.JPG
    P1110651.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 1,611
  • P1110650.JPG
    P1110650.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 1,874
I would think so, but the chances of someone breaking one of these is pretty slim, I even forgot to tighten the shaft expansion, played a whole metal gig and the shaft did not strip or become compromised. On the other side of the coin, this may not be that popular of a product, but their drive shafts for their flagship pedals are probably the main source for parts.

It looks like they copied the pearls from afar.

I might grab one for my dw's and move the dw shaft to my old cobras (which have a really worn out shaft.

Hi, the most incredible thing happened to me.
I tried this shaft on my Yamaha 9410 double pedal, no problem. But noticed that the screws were really hard to screw in. So I took care not to overtighten them risking to snap the screw heads.
Well, later that day I fitted the shaft to my dw 9000 double pedal with the same care and don't you think I managed to snap not only one but two screws!

So I bought this used of a guy on ebay and now you know what to look out for... The screws might be of inferior quality (if mine are original)
Anyway, it's solid with no play whatsoever. Just be prepared to never again be able to fold together your double pedal.

You can fix them. Get a high quality screw extractor(easy-out) or high quality drill bit, and drill it out and retap the threads. You'll need to go slightly larger in size. Maybe if it's metric, you could go SAE (American) or vice versa. That way you'll not be going much bigger.

It looks like they copied the pearls from afar.

I might grab one for my dw's and move the dw shaft to my old cobras (which have a really worn out shaft.

Actually, Trick Drums licences out this drive shaft technology for Pearl's Demon Drive pedals. Their design, their patent, really a great company. Their premium pricing seems to put off a lot of potential customers and it's quite a small company compared to the giants. But the products are top notch and I'm glad I sprung for their Dominator pedals instead of the alternatives in that price range. Things are absolute magic.

The Trick driveshaft is around $50 cheaper than Pearl's Z-link version actually.

The cost of licencing a patent/technology and then the additional padding to make it look good to the CEO :)

Back