Best double album ever?

Really only two - The White Album and Peter Frampton "Frampton Comes Alive", which is also the best live rock album. Led Zep, The Wall, and otehrs are all hit and miss.

My vote..

Tommy .................................the Who

Frampton Comes Alive............Peter Frampton

The Beatles(White Album........You know who

Songs in the Key of Life...........Stevie Wonder

The Beach Boys in Concert.......title says it all

Electric Lady Land....................Hendrix

Two for the Show......................Kansas (live)

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road......Elton John

Quadrophenia...........................The Who

I also noninate the best triple album of all time:

Welcome Back My Friends,To the Show That Never Ends.........Emerson,Lake and Palmer

Just off the top of my head.Lots more out there.:)

Steve B

Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek And The Dominos
Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin

Deep Purple, Made in Japan

No-one's mentioned 'The Wall'?

Actually 'The Wall' isn't that great. About 30% of it is absolutely top-notch and the rest varies from 'filler' to 'quite compelling'.

The best double album I own is the vinyl version of 'In Rainbows' by Radiohead. Technically it is a double album in that format, even if it is on two 12" 45s.

Spiritinthesky is still a spammer though.

No-one's mentioned 'The Wall'?

Actually 'The Wall' isn't that great. About 30% of it is absolutely top-notch and the rest varies from 'filler' to 'quite compelling'.

Dunc, it was the first suggestion of SpammerInTheSky :)

My Fav Zappa record of all time..........

Highlight for me was Son of Orange County / More Trouble Every Day ... the transition between them is still one of the best musical climaxes I've heard.

some great ones

The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East

How could I forget that one.Not a bad tune on the whole album.Talk about multiple genres,blues,rock,prog rock,southern rock,jazz all from one band...with two drummers to boot.:)

Steve B

some great ones

The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East

Absolutely up there, definitely one of the best live albums! The band is cooking there. I like many of their years but this is their peak.
I read only recently that they only got on the Fillmore stage at after midnight, and got off just before the sun rose.

Back