Get better Andy!

Anyone in for a chip-in towards a little get well gift of some sort? Anyone know how we could get it to him? Anyone know if this is a good idea?

Might make him feel better if we bought him an official "Fired Up" T-shirt. I hear he's sort of fond of the band.

F^%& yea....just lmk. Discovering this thread has destroyed my day. Andy get well, dont work too hard, rest stay healthy. We are happy to wait a little longer for your drums, they are worth the wait! Damn damn damn, just be well, you are way too good of a person for this nonsense. Damnit Im upset.

Just thinking, its gotta be pretty nice having an online army of people who love you, who have never met you. I think its fair to say you are doing something terribly right in life! Keep it up please...

Wow, really sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers sent for a full and quick recovery 😇

I'm just a normal guy trying to cut a path through life without hurting anyone, & if I can lift someone up along the way, I will.

I only wish this were "normal". At least with the majority of people I run into from day to day it's more like "I'm gonna get mine, if someone else pays a price that's too bad".

Anyway, we need exceptional examples of good conduct (you) here to balance out my nonsense.

Glad to hear the band has taken the desicion to let you rest instead of doing the gig. It’s the right call for sure, even if it was for a good cause.

I’ll echo what I said to you last night, If there’s anything you need....

All the best mate on your recovery, Andy. Fingers crossed you’re back to full strength ASAP.

Dear DW Members,

Don't you realize what Andy has done?!? He's sacrificed his health to entice Duncan and some other Old Timers from the woodwork - and it worked!!

Bless You, Andy. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Just remember, no man/woman is remembered for their work, but by the number of lives they've impacted during their travels on this Earth.

Except for maybe Einstein, Fermi, Madame Curie, Calvin, Newton, Bell, Faraday, Edison, Tesla, Carver, Volta...

Never mind. As soon as you are able, get off your arse and start truing up some bearing edges. While you're "healing," you can still have your machine ways trued up and get your surface plates calibrated. Don't forget, with a nice Japanese waterstone, you can hone your lathe tools and mill bits while in bed, if somebody will clean up the mess.

All kidding aside. Though I've never met you in person, Andy, I count you as a friend and mentor. I wish you God-speed in your recovery, and send prayers, good thoughts, well wishes and love to you, yours, and all concerned with your well being.

Not to steal a thread, but ...

Last weekend I went to mow my Up-North property (above the 45th Parallel) and I got bit by a bug on my ankle. My wife says it looks like a spider bite ("It has a hole in it.")

It really itches!!! But I'm not feeling any love here on DW. Why does it always have to be Miss Madgenta, or Uncle Larry, or Dr Watso, or GAgrippa, or KIS, or PollyAnna or 'you know who you are?' What about me?!?

Scratching. Smoke out.

;o)

Someone loves me?

I don't think I should get my hopes up. I usually settle for tolerate.

Someone loves me?

I don't think I should get my hopes up. I usually settle for tolerate.

I love you, Doc.

I guess I just have a thing for edgy provocateurs in online drum forums.

Actually, I probably have a secret crush on a fair number of people here. All this talk of mounting multiple rides on a single stand and so forth, plus the mysterious anonymity on the internet, it's just all so sexy.

Andy pushes himself a bit hard IMO. I know why he does it. Still, I'd like to see him not work so hard. I don't think it's in his nature though. However dodging a bullet like this tends to make changes in a person's life.

I think it may stem back (see what I did there?) to the first stave paduak kit of Jeff Almeyda's that fell apart. (Major condensation, the carrier's fault) One lost kit, and a replacement kit for Andy and Dean to make. Then a few of those difficult to make rosewood stave snares did the same thing. Spleen (Jason) and Steadypocket (Rich) were affected. Two more snares to build gratis for Andy. Poor guy, he does not deserve this.

Then there was Johnoworld who bought a snare then returned it. Very poor taste IMO. And me who insisted he nest Yolanda for shipping and the bass drum arrived cracked. (my responsibility, but still a great source of heartache for him) Not counting any drums I don't know about. That must be terribly frustrating, all the free work he had to do. But he always takes the high road. It's hard to see good men get shafted by the universe, while bad men seem to do well.

I'd rather have Andy healthy with no Guru, than no Andy and no Guru...

My thoughts are so with you Ands.

It's hard to see good men get shafted by the universe, while bad men seem to do well.

It's not about that though. The more we help others and do the right thing, a certain percentage of the time that spurs someone else to pass on the good nature and help. It festers and grows in a great way. Bad things still happen, and good things will still happen to bad people, but it's irrelevant because we're all making the world more positive.

None of it is fair and none of it makes sense, nor will it ever. But we can absolutely control our own positive additions in our short time here. The good things can't exist without the bad; there's a relativity/balance thing and it's universal.

I know for fact Andy understands this and applies it all the time. Same goes for you, Larry. Your caring and generosity are literal legends.

All you other punks need to go help someone, immediately. I am of course a complete saint so I'm exempt.

You're right James. Can't have the good without the bad. Bad is necessary apparently. And yea, positivity has a way of growing between people who are exposed to it.

Good, Bad, don't forget Ugly. I am always forgotten. I agree Doc I simplified it to "fight bad with good"-that way the cosmic equilibrium is broken with a catalyst (people like Andy and Larry)so it shifts to the good. I don't understand why some people like to fight bad with bad-makes no sense.

Andy is like James Brown the hardest working man in Drum business-he's always on the go-yet seems to find time for his family and friends. I am so encouraged Andy responded here-and Andy is Andy. I have a friend who had a stroke some 25 years ago that wasn't ever the same-he really died and this new person was left-still a friend he knows me-but I don't really know this new person-I miss my old friend. I wonder what he is remembers of his old self. Anyways I'm encouraged, hopeful and thankful Andy will have a quick and full recovery. All the people thinking and supporting him has to set up some good vibrations-mind over matter healing power.

I have a friend who had a stroke some 25 years ago that wasn't ever the same-he really died and this new person was left-still a friend he knows me-but I don't really know this new person-I miss my old friend.
Aside from obvious physical impact, stroke can be a cruel & indiscriminate thief of personality, & that's especially sad as it impacts loved ones so profoundly too. Thankfully, I'm still the marginally dysfunctional idiot I always have been ;)

None of it is fair and none of it makes sense, nor will it ever. But we can absolutely control our own positive additions in our short time here.
Right on!! We're defined by our choices. I'm absolutely no saint - far from it - oh boy have I screwed up in the past, & occasionally by default, others have been hurt. That's regrettable, but I've always made good to those I've affected.

As for helping others, if you have the means, like that's even a choice?

BTW, with some trepidation, I had a bit of pad time this morning - awe man was that depressing. Somewhat perversely & cruelly, one of our key rudiments is called the double stroke, & that has gone down the toilet big time. It would appear I have some re-learning to do.

If it helps anyone here, this is a video I had on my tablet in hospital - it really helped me focus positively. Possibly one of the most joyous & musically uplifting performances I've ever encountered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evN6DIGPIJM Oh, & that rhythm section!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
When I saw early posts in this thread like others I feared the worst. So happy that you're "on the mend" Andy, I just want to add my best wishes as someone who has enjoyed your kindness and help in person, and say thanks to you I have a dream-came-true drum kit. As other members have attested, you are indeed a remarkable man.

Richard

Thank you all again for your kind thoughts - it really is humbling, & appreciated more than you know.

Thought I'd take a shot of my face day 7 after the "event". I've never exactly been an oil painting, & I'm obviously looking more haggard than usual, but the recovery progress in my face has been really gratifying. I still have an issue with my right eyelid, & my pupils are much smaller than usual. This may improve, but may not.

Attachments

• face 900.jpg
    face 900.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 331
Since Andy is so well loved here, and since he gave me permission, here is the latest:

Larry, I know you care, as I do you. Really, I'm good. Biggest risk is re-occurance, that would be mighty nasty. 20% chance of that in the next month apparently, & as you can imagine, that's not a good feeling. Get past 1 month, & the risks slowly reduce, but never completely.

This was nothing to do with past lifestyle. Apparently, I was likely genetically predisposed to it. It was going to happen sometime. Perversely, that means, except for the next month or so, I'm in a better place because this happened & I survived largely intact. Now I'm being treated for it, & that lowers overall long term risk. Still a class 1 fucker though :(

Day 1; I lost my ability to walk unaided, some eyesight, all balance & spacial awareness. Day 2; big improvement, & that was the first time I felt encouraged. By day 5 in hospital I was back to 95%. I'm probably at 96% now if I exclude tiredness. In other words, I still have traces of it all, but it's mostly gone. I may never progress above 96%, but I'll absolutely take that. I've not tried to play drums yet. I've been warned there may be some losses there that will require re learning.

Yvonne shit herself. Of course, this is not the first time she's been on this ride, & that takes it's toll. I'm acutely aware that this affects others, maybe more than me in some cases. It pisses me off that I can't control that.

Overall, I'm super positive Larry. Experience tells me that positivity has a material impact on your physical wellbeing, so a necessary component of recovery. Get past the next few weeks, & I'll be back in the saddle, but I am planning some fairly major changes. Time for a reset - I'll let you know what when I've worked it all out. As the saying goes, I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water. I'm set to be a first time grandfather soon, & that's a leveller that I'm benchmarking in my decision making.

One big bummer - I just cancelled our "holiday of a lifetime" to Antigua due to happen in 6 weeks time. That's a huge disappointment. Through my air points, I'd nailed first class cabin both ways, & hired a cottage right on the beach, but long haul flights + remote location is too big a risk for either of us to contemplate right now.

There you have it Larry. If it helps clarify to others who might be interested, please feel free to share this (edited or complete) - I have zero issue with that. I'm too tired to do it then answer stuff myself this morning.

As always, fondest regards my dear friend, Andy.

First time grandfather. Wow. That's big. Lucky child, having you as a grandfather. That's just great man. Congratulations. Makes it easier to shift priorities. Is it your daughter's or son's expected arrival? Too bad about Antigua. I can relate :(

Anyway, the pic looks great. You actually look rested lol. Positivity. Are you saying that here's another way to think about it? :)

For everyone that loves/needs you, please take it easy this very crucial next month. And thanks for the update my friend. There are tons of people pulling for you.

You are the toughest guy I know.

We'll show that turd who's boss! (movie reference)

I may be overstepping my bounds, but what the hell. I am making this thread a sticky, and proclaiming 7/11, Andy Crosby Day, on the Drummerworld forum.
I don't think anyone is more loved, respected, or looked up to than Andy.
All the best to you Sir for a speedy recovery and happy life. What you think you may have lost has been passed on to others. So, July Eleven is hereby proclaimed Andy Crosby Day.

Mayor Gruntersdad.

Back