Favorite metal drummer?

I guess I've already answered this in the death metal thread, but I think Mike Smith of Suffocation is a beast. Simple and solid on Effigy of the Forgotten, more fluid and technical on Pierced from Within, you can really hear how he grows through the discography. I think he was 16 or 17 on the debut.

I'll give it up for Gene Hoglan as well. A legendary patriarch of death metal drumming.

Since someone already resurrected this I'm just wondering if anyone else is a fan of Dirk Verbeuren.

I'm not a massive death metal fan, but the guy is a monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NQ_gHXpYzw

I couldn't find a clear video of his hands alternating between standard and hammer blasts at high speed but that that's quite difficult to do cleanly. He does it a lot on Aborted's albums.

Matt Greiner from August Burns Red--dudes insane, enough said
and
"Yogi" Watts from Demon Hunter--very fluid, intense but also reserved when need be

As long as it's favorites and not who we think is 'best', I'll say Jukka Nevalainen (Nightwish) and The Rev (A7X).

Charlie Benante is my all-time favourite metal drummer
Charlie_Benante.jpg

Christoph Schneider of Rammstein is my favorite Metal guy.

I'm not really into Metal anymore, but when I was teen ager I was obsessed with Rammstein. Schneider's drumming is simple, but so driving and effective. If anyone doubts his drumming ability, listen to his pre-Rammstein work, and their newest album Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da. He really cuts loose on the songs from that album.

Travis Orbin, drummer for Sky Eats Airplane and early Periphery stuff. He's mostly a session drummer now and has has over 100 youtube videos of his work. Crazy, imaginative double bass and polyrhythms that are out of this world. Listening to him makes me want to give up LOL yet at the same time inspires me to improve and tighten my drumming.

It's also a blast figuring out and playing anything James cassells does.

Also, check out Travis Orbins drum set up! One of the strangest setups I've ever seen.

I'm a big fan of Shannon Lucas in the metal world. Watching these guys play un-edited is what does it for me.

Honestly, Justin Foley from Killswitch Engage for me. He just plays so musically, not all speed and flash. I get the feeling that he could play any style of music you threw at him not just the genera his band is.

Honestly, Justin Foley from Killswitch Engage for me. He just plays so musically, not all speed and flash. I get the feeling that he could play any style of music you threw at him not just the genera his band is.

Justin is great. I saw him, well 2 weeks ago with KSE, but 2 summers ago with Unearth. He sounded great playing Unearth's stuff. I really like his style too.

Back