Are Ludwig Supraphonics really that good a snare

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Hi I just got to say that I think that Ludwig Supraphonic snares and specifically the std. ludalloy 5 1/2 depth way over rated. I sold mine and now use a Pearl Ultracast similar depth, now that's a drum, so much low end tone for a skinny drum. Any one else agree or am I the only one who thinks this way.

The Supra isn't the only snare out there. Everyone has a sound they like in a snare. Im sure Ludwig never put anyone out of business because of the supra.

Just to be clear, the Supras and Acrolites are 5", not 5.5".

I don't think Supras are overrated, but they are ubiquitous, and for good reason: they sound great. Tuning obviously has a lot to do with the resulting sound, and the drum can't be faulted if a pleasing tuning isn't achieved. But it's not hard to get a great sound without much work. Is it the best snare in the world? I don't know, like anything, it depends on who you ask. there are many great sounding snares from several manufacturers.

It's like asking if the Shure 57 is the best snare mic. I don't really know, I'm not an engineer. But I do know that I see one pointed at my snare about 80% of the time on live gigs and in the studio. Then again, there's also the McDonald's hamburgers analogy. :)

My snares of choice are all 6.5", and there are two Supras in the mix. Although I have several 5" Supras, they don't see much action. nothing to do with their sound, I just prefer a 6.5" snare.

Bermuda

Different strokes for different folks. I would never try to hang "best" on any drum, because sound preferences are subjective. But I think the Supra does what it does extremely well.

Also, if you're playing a similar snare drum by another manufacturer, it's worth pointing out that it's probably a copy of the Supra.

But, of course, if you don't like it, you shouldn't play it. There are a lot of alternatives.

I like the 402 when I hear people play it, but when I do, I get nothing from it. Might sound great out front, but behind it, not for me.

Same with the 400.

Are they able to get a great sound for any music? Yes.
That's why they are so highly rated.

I prefer my Brass and Bronze 6.5's TBH, but I have owned the 402 (3 different times), and 400. They are well performing snares, but not the sound for me.

The Ultracast snare is a whole different animal than a 400 or 402.
A heavy die cast shell, and die cast hoops are going to perform a lot differently than a 1.2 spun aluminum shell, and thinner hoops. Apples and oranges.

I'm with Karl although I really have not had a chance to put a 402 through its paces. I sold an Acrolite after giving up on trying to get it to sound how I wanted and recently parted out a 400 keeping the lugs for another project. I also tried a very nice Drumcraft cast aluminum snare that was 14x6.5. Something about that drum was just too dry and "modern" sounding for me.

Eventually I want to get a 402 and really try it out as my tastes lean toward deeper drums but I am finding that I prefer brass and wood snares to aluminum. There really is a much different tone going from a spun shell to a cast aluminum snare. A guitarist friend described it as "woody" sounding. For that money though I'd rather just get a wood snare.

I think it safe to say that the supra has earned its reputation, not because a few say so, but because a generation or two have voted that way with their money, from drummers to engineers. Best is impossible to define, but they HAVE earned their reputation, to the point that other companies felt the need to copy.

For me it's more a matter of the fact that there are a whole lot of crappy snares out there and the Supra is a very safe bet. Buy one, tune it up and bang, you've got a classic, reliable snare sound.

All drums sounds are subjective... I have a Supra and its just like what everyone else says, its consistently consistent. Always in the pocket. They're not the most AMAZING snare in the world by all means, but they are loved and enjoyed by more people than pretty much any other snare in the world...literally...

My snares of choice are all 6.5", and there are two Supras in the mix. Although I have several 5" Supras, they don't see much action. nothing to do with their sound, I just prefer a 6.5" snare.

Bermuda

I agree with this :). I love the 402. My other favorite is a 6.5x14" Ludwig Vistalite snare from 2004. And it may sound like heresy, but I like the supra and the vistalite better than my 6.5x14 Black Beauty.

But not everyone has to love a Supra 402 or 400. Pearl Sensitones are great - I also still have a Pearl Export steel snare that has a great crack to it. And a DW Classic series snare is a beautiful thing...there is lots to love...

All drums sounds are subjective... I have a Supra and its just like what everyone else says, its consistently consistent. Always in the pocket. They're not the most AMAZING snare in the world by all means, but they are loved and enjoyed by more people than pretty much any other snare in the world...literally...

Well stated. I've used a Supra for my main gigging snare since the late 70's. I've used others to be sure, but I keep coming back to the Supra. And, mine have always been the 5". I currently own a smooth Bronze, 2 aluminum (a 60's and an 80's) and now a 1980ish Acro-all in 5" depth. They are versatile, crisp, responsive and are my sound. If they are not someone else's sound, so be it, and that's perfectly fine. That's why Howard Johnson had 36 flavors-to each, his own.

I think it safe to say that the supra has earned its reputation, not because a few say so, but because a generation or two have voted that way with their money, from drummers to engineers. Best is impossible to define, but they HAVE earned their reputation, to the point that other companies felt the need to copy.

This is true, but partly by default. In the 60's 70's there weren't as many competing snare drums on the market, there were truckloads of LUDWIGS, everyone had one and by default gigged, recorded with them hence their popularity on vinyl of the era.

That being said and the fact the drums design virtually hasn't change makes the drum dated sonically IMO. I was over, tired of the sound in the 70's.

Any up and coming drummer's snare sound is not going to be heard as new/original if they play a 400/402, their sound is old news already IMO.

If you want ('need') to sound like a million other drummers past, than do get a 400/402.

The BUDWISER of snare drums.

This is true, but partly by default. In the 60's 70's there weren't as many competing snare drums on the market, there were truckloads of LUDWIGS, everyone had one and by default gigged, recorded with them hence their popularity on vinyl of the era.

That being said and the fact the drums design virtually hasn't change makes the drum dated sonically IMO. I was over, tired of the sound in the 70's.

Any up and coming drummer's snare sound is not going to be heard as new/original if they play a 400/402, their sound is old news already IMO.

If you want ('need') to sound like a million other drummers past, than do get a 400/402.

The BUDWISER of snare drums.

I hear you, but haven't things gone full circle? Vintage is back, big time. Every company has a new 'vintage-like' line of drums. I see many drummers using vintage Ludwig kits and the like. Of course, you can use any snare with any kit; they are interchangable. But, it seems that vintage is the new trend.

I hear you, but haven't things gone full circle? Vintage is back, big time. Every company has a new 'vintage-like' line of drums. I see many drummers using vintage Ludwig kits and the like. Of course, you can use any snare with any kit; they are interchangable. But, it seems that vintage is the new trend.

That might be the case, if it is then 400/402 is the snare to get, but every Tom Dick and Harry has one, or will be getting one and Im perfectly OK with that, works for me.

I've been around the circle more than once. The drum is too light for me, the playing feel is not comfortable IMO, plus the dated sound... Im out, been out for years. Too many other good choices to try, find to love.

I don't think that a drum has a dated sound. I do think we have dated perceptions. I can change the sound of a drum by changing heads, tunings, snare wire configurations, etc.I can make a supra sound like a respectable concert snare with the right parts and tuning. If I use the same drum set up as was used for vintage recording, yeah, it will sound vintage. I think it is a matter of setup and part selection.

It's a very versatile and dependable snare. It's not got bags full of character and is a very well known sound but I would put it as the ideal workhorse snare.

I have a 1968 Ludalloy 14x5 which I bought around 2 years ago now but I have only recently started to have an attachment to it if I'm honest. I really wanted a dependable shallower snare that I could use as an option at the rockier gigs, so in that respect it does its job and does it very well.

It sounds good live with no/little dampening as it does have a cutting 'bite' but for studio work I tent to use other, deeper snares either brass or maple.

All about preference though!

I like the 402 when I hear people play it, but when I do, I get nothing from it. Might sound great out front, but behind it, not for me.

My experiences to a "T". I like the drum a lot, but not for my particular bands I'm in. Kind of thin and dry sounding from the throne. I like to play mine in my studio, but not at my gigs. Funny that.

My experiences to a "T". I like the drum a lot, but not for my particular bands I'm in. Kind of thin and dry sounding from the throne. I like to play mine in my studio, but not at my gigs. Funny that.

I haven't found a single snare (or kick or tom or cymbal or tambourine) that does everything well. But the Supra does most things well.

Ludwig's been through some interesting changes in the last 35 years or so, but the one constant has been their snare drums, and the Supras are hard to beat.

Bermuda

Back