The Eagles
Journey
Cheap trick
and some guy named Paul McCartney!

Some that come to mind at the moment are

Dream Theater: Live in Budokan

and

Avenged Sevenfold: Live in the LBC
(one of those rare cases where it sounds better than the album)

King's X at the Horseshoe tavern in Toronto. Don't remember the year!! Gotta love Doug Pinnick's voice and is 12 strings bass. Badlands, in 1990 at a small club in Montreal that was called La Brique. What a show! Jake E Lee was on fire and Ray Gillen was probably one of the best, if not the best, 80's hair metal singer. AC\DC In Montreal at the olympic Stadium.Pure Rock'n'roll.

Pink Floyd - "The Division Bell Tour", 1994, Pontiac Silverdome. They played the entire "Dark Side of the Moon."

So many...

Sly and the Family Stone

Prince

Cheap Trick

are a few.

Tom Petty and Jackson Brown in 2002 at The Forum in LA.

I was getting a contact high from all the smoke. It was a surreal experience.

Then again, I saw Iron Maiden in 1987 at Arco Arena in Sacramento.

That one was great because we had front row in the seating section.

So many good one, but if I have to just list one, then it would be:

1st November 1986, London, Brixton Academy Theater, Pete Townshend's Deep End Live with Simon Phillips and Dave Gilmour, an absolutely magnificient and unforgetable concert.

That concert came out on a CD and on a VHS Video, I own a copy of both. ;-))

Attachments

• Deep End001.jpg
    Deep End001.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 201
Ozzy Ozbourne, New Years Eve 95 or 96 (can't remember). Ozzy played for several hours up until midnight when he stopped in the middle of a song and did a whole new year countdown. Then he ended up playing for another hour and a half or so.

Megadeth/Suicidal Tendencies - Wilson Theatre, Fresno, CA - Loudest concert ever. It was a smaller venue that was so insanely loud chunks of plaster were raining from the ceiling. First time I had to use the ever so effective toilet paper/spitwad/earplugs.

KISS - January 26, 1884 - Lick It Up Tour - My first big stadium rock concert. I just turned 15 and me a buddy went to our first KISS concert. There were two opening bands, Riot and Vandenburg. During the first intermission we found a roach on the floor. Me and my buddy grabbed it, ran up to the very top row of seats and smoked it. It was laced with something like PCP, because my friend and I were completely loaded out of our freakin minds for the rest of the night. Never been that high in my life. The concert was really long and my Mom had come to pick us up at 11:00, but the concert went till like 1:00 am, and I remember being in the car loaded out of my mind tripping and my Mom was PISSED and yelling at us because we kept her waiting for over almost 3 hours.

...Oh, and then there was the Doobie Brothers/Crosby Stills Nash concert at the Big Fresno Fair that three of us went to one summer. It was part of the fair, so we were there most of the day riding rides and drinking beer. About an hour before the show we were walking through one of the buildings where they have all the vendors set up. Everyone from jewelry makers to log cabin builders have booths set up. One of the vendors was Executive Limos and they had a full limo in there for people to get in and check out. We were siting in the back of the car goofing around and noticed that the wet bar was FULLY STOCKED. There were 3 or 4 decanters full of various liquors. Since this was an area kids had access to, we felt it was our responsibility to remove the alcohol from the area so it was no longer accessible by the children.

We proceeded to very quickly consume massive quantities of various alcohols in various amounts. From what I remember we completely emptied the bottles before stumbling off to the show.

The concert itself was barely memorable, but the ridiculous drunkenness, my buddy getting in a fight with security, tackled, beaten up, and eventually kicked out on his head I will always remember.

Good times, good times. :)

You can tell i have a couple days off cuz i'm postin on every thread out there.

David Bowie Serious Moonlight- Madison Sq Garden early 80's

Omar on Drums. Ridiculous Stone Groove!!

Great Great era for Bowie, imo. The confluence of art and commerce baby- totally awesome material.

Coolest and all eclectic costumes and ambience created on stage.

Last but not least-when he said his china girl says,"just you shut your mouse" and then says it again, but the guitar solo starts, out walks stevie ray. I pretty much spontaneously combusted at that moment, the single best guitar solo ever- not cuz of amazing chops but because of pure fire.

I was at Madison Square Garden the night they robbed led zeppelin (See the movie The song Remains the same).

I also saw Mahavishnu Orchestra, the original band with Billy Cobham play many times throughout the NYC area (Dance of Maya (10/8 then 20/8 time, and Noonward Race).

And I saw Cobham play with his original band Quadrant 4 at the Bottom Line in NYC.

I have not been to too many concerts lately. Even when playing out I tend to not watch too much of the other bands.

Queen December 1979 at The Brighton Centre, England.

Just turned 18, I had been a huge fan for 5 years, and tickets for any Queen gig were impossible to get, always sold out, in those days you had to either visit the venue and stand in line to buy a tcket or order by post, therefore unless you were close to the venue or told in advance of a tour, you had zero chance of seeing the band. Anyway got lucky and bought 2 standing tickets, booked a cheap hotel for the night and arrived midday to get in line for a decent spot to watch the band. Doors opened at 7pm I was very near the start of the queue, so I run to the stage barrier and stake my claim.

Queen had decided to play a number of 'small' venues on The Crazy Tour' - Brighton Centre as a venue was just such a place, capacity tiny at around 3000, can you imagine these days reincarnation permitting.

This was a band who had sold out gigs of 250,000 in their pocket...

So there I was, leaning on a barrier which was actaully part of the stage, no distance maybe 2 feet from the stage itself, I could reach out and touch the stage floor, that close. Beside me, under my left arm was a stage monitor for Freddie Mercury whilst at his piano, maybe 5 feet in front of me, this was just great.

At around 9 pm ish' the huge ( for the time ) 'Crown' of the lighting rig began to rise - from a position maybe three feet above the top cymbals on the drum riser - a sub bass note rumbled from the PA and lightning effects ( with Thunder ) filled the auditorium, jeez this was exciting, then the band launched into a fast version of We Will Rock You.

I cannot adequately descride how profound this moment was for me. I was close enough to make eye contact with the musicians, the volume was all pervading to the point that no sound could be heard from my mouth as I shouted some expletive to my then girlfriend standing shoulder to shoulder with me, the heat from the lights was as strong as any sunny beach I had been to, but it was multi coloured and layed with smoke, OH MY GOD this IS HEAVEN.

The rest of the gig was a masterclass in 'How to be the Best Touring Band on the Planet' certainly at that time, maybe ever.

There, you did ask. lol

So many but the ones that come to mind are,

Ringo and his All Starr Band. (2008). I have seen him again on the last tour but this one was special because we too a young friend with us who was in her 20's who really didn't know what she was in for. Her reactions were priceless. I think we introduced someone to a whole new appreciation of classic music that nite...priceless!

Jeff Beck. I had never seen him before and was only somewhat familiar with a lot of his stuff. We ended up securing some second row center seats after getting to the venue and that night, watching Jeff up close and interacting with his drummer from the audience, I was blown away! Awesome show!

Paul McCartney. Come on, how can you beat the experience of singing along with 30 thousand fans to Hey Jude as you watch Paul on stage?

Roger Daltrey/Eric Clapton. I went for Clapton, came back blown away by Daltrey and his drummer Scott Devours. It was the final straw that made me decide to start drum lessons.

Finally, Elvis Costello. Saw him last year and couldn't believe what am awesome and fun show he put on. One of the most entertaining shows I've ever been to and I realized what a consummate musician he is.

There, more than you ever wanted to know, I'm sure, but impossible to pick just one!

Bare Naked Ladies or maybe Billy Joel back in the day. Chili Peppers were pretty cool too. Don't forget about Rage Against The Machine.

Axel Rose's new Guns and Roses truly blew me away and I'm not even that big of a fan.
Also Styx has a really awesome performance.

Back