Neil Peart

Again, another adjective(ruined) that I totally disagree with. You may wanna think again.

Come on ns(though I love the name), that's what you have to contribute as your 2ND POST on this forum? Hmm... :-|

Ruined??

It must be me, 'cause I don't know where they come up with this stuff? Though, Mr. ns may be in disguise as someone that doesn't wanna be noticed. ;-)

It's his opinion... you should let that go, he thought about it and posted what he thinks. I happen to agree that the fidelity sucks compared to other Rush albums. I listen through everything from headphones to hifi, and VT was a murky mix. This was mentioned in a few reviews of the cd when it came out. So we are not alone in that assessment.

Do not assume that the poster isn't a pro soundman, or perhaps an audiophile with high end gear where he can analyze the recording/mastering quality to a "t". Geddy Lee has even stated presto and VT needed remastering.

It's his opinion... you should let that go, he thought about it and posted what he thinks. I happen to agree that the fidelity sucks compared to other Rush albums. I listen through everything from headphones to hifi, and VT was a murky mix. This was mentioned in a few reviews of the cd when it came out. So we are not alone in that assessment.

Do not assume that the poster isn't a pro soundman, or perhaps an audiophile with high end gear where he can analyze the recording/mastering quality to a "t". Geddy Lee has even stated presto and VT needed remastering.

Fair enough, trkdrmr. ;-)

Gotcha!

Is it possible to be a huge Rush / Peart fan and yet still be able to see valid points in the criticism? I think so. It is true that Rush can be an acquired taste, Neil doesn't play with much soul and is definetely not a jazz drummer. Rush's creative peak is behind them and they are showing their age a bit. None of that really matters to me though. I listen to lots of different kinds of music and think that Rush is unique and sounds good to my ears. I haven't missed a Rush concert since 1989.

Neil is one of the main reasons I play drums today and one of the main reasons I pushed myself to discover so many other kinds of music. I don't think he's the best, but then again I don't think anyone is. I think a better word is favorite. That indicates it's my opinion and taste I'm talking about.

Referring to older efforts. I don't see S&A as radically different from vapor trails, certainly not the paradigm shift that Signals represented from the preceding era.

I'd agree. And perhaps, it wouldn't matter if not for all the press claiming S&A was going to be a big shift in sound. Overall, it seems a continuation from Vapor Trails and Test for Echos.

Not that I think S&A was bad, just I didn't hear this big difference that I read I was going to hear. And when compared to the back catalog, S&A is very much in line with the last few albums.

My only issue with VT is all the songs were all around the same tempo, and as an album, it all sort of sounded the same song to song, even though there were some good songs on the album.

S&A has more variety in tempos and feels, but still, the overall vibe from song to song seems to be the same. Gone are the long musical adventures of the late 70s, gone is the mix of heaviness, gone is the experimentation. Everything is just a bit mellow, I don't want to say bland, but almost like they've gone adult contemporary prog.

Still, I've seen them every tour since 86. The S&A shows were amazing. I just don't buy Rush albums expecting to be blown away anymore.

I'd agree. And perhaps, it wouldn't matter if not for all the press claiming S&A was going to be a big shift in sound. Overall, it seems a continuation from Vapor Trails and Test for Echos.
Still, I've seen them every tour since 86. The S&A shows were amazing. I just don't buy Rush albums expecting to be blown away anymore.

One of the hypes was that they were going back to the original, more guitar-based sound. So what?

Guitar, synthesizer, drums or raccoons-singing-in-a-chourus based sound. Doesn't matter to me because I love the guitar and synthetsizer based eras equally well for different reasons.

I just want the material to stand out, and have the meat/technical wizardry I know they are capable of.

I think this sums it up for me as well: I just don't buy Rush albums expecting to be blown away anymore

The last time I truly liked a whole Rush album as soon as I heard it was HYF. I was blown away by force ten and time stand still. After that, it's either been piecemeal (some tunes like presto, RTB and VT) took a little while to appreciate (Counterparts/TFE) or huh? like S&A.

One of the hypes was that they were going back to the original, more guitar-based sound. So what?

Guitar, synthesizer, drums or raccoons-singing-in-a-chourus based sound. Doesn't matter to me because I love the guitar and synthetsizer based eras equally well for different reasons.

I just want the material to stand out, and have the meat/technical wizardry I know they are capable of.

I think this sums it up for me as well: I just don't buy Rush albums expecting to be blown away anymore

The last time I truly liked a whole Rush album as soon as I heard it was HYF. I was blown away by force ten and time stand still. After that, it's either been piecemeal (some tunes like presto, RTB and VT) took a little while to appreciate (Counterparts/TFE) or huh? like S&A.

I agree, I just the material to stand out.

For the record, Signals was the 1st Rush album I ever bought when I was 12, so I got into them during the synth phase, and then worked my way backwards until I was rocking out to the 1st album.

And I loved Counterparts.

I don't dislike S&A, I just wasn't blown away by it.

But Rush is still GOD in concert.

I agree, I just the material to stand out.

I don't dislike S&A, I just wasn't blown away by it.

But Rush is still GOD in concert.

I have to agree on both. I have paid $65 to see rock acts that have little to no "show" except for playing music. All the Rush concerts I have been to have been an epic experience.

SA and VT have great songs in them. My point was that producers and engineers have been known to ruin albums and from my perspective, thats exactly what had happened.

The person mentioning Presto is also correct. The album sounds like a hole lot of bottom end is missing and the mid-range treble is expanded and over emphasized.

Now for those who dislike Neil. I think a lot of it comes from jealousy, or the fact that he agnostic. No doubt about that- I did listen to Snakes and Arrows after all!

I just watched the video "Rush in Rio", and the drum solo in "O Baterista" was just absolutely insane. It was ryhthmic, musical, entertaining, and a crazzzzy display of chops. That single handedly changed my mind about him.

I just watched the video "Rush in Rio", and the drum solo in "O Baterista" was just absolutely insane. It was ryhthmic, musical, entertaining, and a crazzzzy display of chops. That single handedly changed my mind about him.

And on that note...

Number 5 in the countdown towards Neil Peart's best solo has been posted at TheParadiddler.com. Here's the link:

Neil Peart's Solos Ranked - Number 5

"O Baterista" has yet to appear in the countdown; we'll see where it ranks!

DrumEatDrum said:
For the record, Signals was the 1st Rush album I ever bought when I was 12, so I got into them during the synth phase, and then worked my way backwards until I was rocking out to the 1st album.

Yeah I did the same thing started with synths and worked my way back.....

Grace Under Pressure was the first CD I bought from them back in '84....maybe thats why I'm such a fan of the synth era cause Signals, GUP, Hold Your Fire, and Power Windows were in constant play mode on my stereo at that time....

But I can see how people who grew up on the rawer stuff especially 2112 all think after Moving Pictures Rush went downhill....

For me I knew Test For Echo was going in a direction where the appeal wasn't the same....except for One Little Victory Vapor Trails just wasn't doing it for me....

But I have about 16 choices to listen too even thou I'm not feeling any of their new stuff anymore....thats pretty good!

After listeng to the seperated drum track to YYZ, I've changed my opinion. He's amazing. It helps with YYZ cos I find Geddy Lee's voice EXTREMELY annoying

After listeng to the seperated drum track to YYZ, I've changed my opinion. He's amazing. It helps with YYZ cos I find Geddy Lee's voice EXTREMELY annoying

And as far as Geddys' voice...stop trashin' him on a Neil Peart thread, people!

Not warranted here. Go to the Off-Topic thread if you wanna waste your time doin' that.

Not that he deserves it, either. :-(

Oh Yea?

Well, Blunder magazine can kiss my a**!

Blunder, err blender voted Neil Peart "The all time worst lyracist in rock."

Not sure what drugs they are taking.

Here is a verse from a highly acclaimed band:
"Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah,
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah."

That masterpiece is U2/vertigo.

Blunder, err blender voted Neil Peart "The all time worst lyracist in rock."

Not sure what drugs they are taking.

Here is a verse from a highly acclaimed band:
"Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah,
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah."

That masterpiece is U2/vertigo.

They likely slept through all their history classes in high school.

Back