Travis Barker

Travis Barker? I've never heard him in +44, but in his blink182 days, I would think, what the heck is he doing? In other hands, Tre Cool, the drummer for Green Day, puts in great beats and fills, not to technical, etc, and has great control over his fills. For example, he can go fast on his tom fills but with power and even strokes.

Travis Barker has great hands, power, creativity, but from what I have heard in Blink182, he sounds like another drummer on YouTube playing metal, and fast punk songs.
But keep in mind that without Barker, a lot of young drummers now wouldn't be playing they are now, go on youtube and look for blink182 covers. most of the people that have posted a video has other videos, and on their other videos you can clealry see that there is a Travis Barker influence in their some where.

I don't understand how the internet, with the world at everyone's fingertips, is developing more and more people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Becuase information, or should I say MIS-information is so readily available that people are not able to distinguish true from false. We live in a society that promotes independent thinking. A natural outcome of that type of society are its members believing that what they personally think or know is the only truth out there. Most of these opinons or thoughts have never been given the time of day to be researched to see if they hold any weight or truth. So thier opinions are stated as facts when truthfully they are only the dross of ingorance.

Whoops, this thread is about Travis Barker not society.

the thing that makes me mad is non drummers giving opinions about who is the best drummer, i dont get into discussion of topics in which i am ignorant. and theres where he got his fame and "success" as musician 3 riff and 2 4. also i dont think he has achieved his goal as an artist because he has lots of money ,imo the career of an artist never ends because theres always something more to learn or do better and for wht i have seen he is the same drummer he was 4 years ago.

the videos arent impressive at all, anda some say he is fast? jojo mayer can get to that speed with one hand, also doesnt need to make and effort and start hitting harder. but the thing is he doess not need to do that stuff to get our respect
music is about creativity and innovation no offense to t b fans i but have seen his stuff too many times before his name was first spoken.

I just want him to film himself playing for 1 hour.. without music..
then we could see and discuss about how good he is.. or hes not..

the videos arent impressive at all, anda some say he is fast? jojo mayer can get to that speed with one hand, also doesnt need to make and effort and start hitting harder.

I agree. Travis Barker is a good drummer, no doubt about it, but nothing special.

he did in fact learned and played in jazz bands in the beggining folk

Last edited by a moderator:

Doesn't mean he's Elvin Jones. One of my first experiences was playing in a jazz band, doesn't mean I'm good at jazz at all, I'm not. I really can't imagine him playing in that context well, show me him doing it well and I'll believe you, but nothing has made me aware of his 'jazz credentials'.

My opinion of travis is that his strong sides are
1. putting up a good show (you can tell he likes to drum) and
2. he is perfect for his type of music.
His technique is not the best, he could be much faster, and I haven't heard him play anything but alternative punk/punk rock or however you want to label blink 182 and +44. Too bad imo, since i think (and I believe many of you will agree with me) that a good drummer is a versatile drummer. But I actually really like travis because of the above stated strong sides.

Travis Barker played ocassionally in his high school jazz band. That's his own statement BTW. This is certainly not the same as implying that he had some formative years playing in professional jazz settings as his press agent tried to push along.

Most American high school jazz bands merely flirt with jazz, and are in most cases pep bands with a big band instrumentation. That's not to say that there aren't some serious ones that play actual jazz, but they represent the minority, and they are all amateur. For you to make such a connection would be the same as another high school band kid using his tympani rolls on 1812 Overture to demonstrate a legitemate background in classical music.

As I've said before Barker didn't start a lot of this talk. He had a press agent who used to create legend from the smallest crumb of truth, knowing that his fanatics would run with it, whether it was tue or not. This compares with him being famously credited with drum corps experience, when he only once merely talked about trying out, before joining a rock band instead.

Man, people would be a lot more interested in discussing this issue with you, if your obsessive fanaticism for your hero was not so obvious.

Travis Barker played ocassionally in his high school jazz band. That's his own statement BTW. This is certainly not the same as implying that he had some formative years playing in professional jazz settings as his press agent tried to push along.

Most American high school jazz bands merely flirt with jazz, and are in most cases pep bands with a big band instrumentation. That's not to say that there aren't some serious ones that play actual jazz, but they represent the minority, and they are all amateur. For you to make such a connection would be the same as another high school band kid using his tympani rolls on 1812 Overture to demonstrate a legitemate background in classical music.

As I've said before Barker didn't start a lot of this talk. He had a press agent who used to create legend from the smallest crumb of truth, knowing that his fanatics would run with it, whether it was tue or not. This compares with him being famously credited with drum corps experience, when he only once merely talked about trying out, before joining a rock band instead.
Does that make Travis a jazz snob??? LMBFAO!

A high school jazz band and being taught by a jazz drummer does not make you magically able to truly play jazz. Without meaning to sound like a jazzsnob here, but its not even just with jazz - any genre takes thoughtful listening and study to truly be able to play it.

Oh, and in the least offensive way of putting this - you really need to act your age when posting as you can come off as a stubborn 10 year old, who isn't quite getting his own way.
I understand he's your hero, but just because someone critises him doesn't mean they're wrong. Someone people say Elvin Jones sounds like someone falling down some stairs - I can see why they would think that, but to me he's an incredible emotional player with incredible creativity, technique and passion. I would think that they didn't understand his playing, or appreciate his style - which is fair enough. Sorry to go off topic, but try to see different opinions. Matt once said that people with gigantic opinions who get angry at those with different ones, don't go down well in this place - too true.

Does that make Travis a jazz snob??? LMBFAO!

But seriously Jon, it is interesting that so many of these guys seem to go out of their way to get the word jazz into their resumes, even if they have to stretch like a rubber band to do it.

But again, I still think we have to be fair to Travis Barker. I don't think he transmits all this misinformation about himself. All that apparently happens is a press agent leaves a bread crumb and guys like t_rav just run with it.

Wouldn't it be entertaining if t_rav was actually Travis himself??? just come on here to see what we all thought of him??
I think he's the greatest t_rav; the best jazz drummer, the best pop-punk drummer, the best snare drummer, the best tympanist, the best one-man band....etc
Actually I think he's a pretty good drummer who was extremely lucky to be in a band that became huge! He seems a nice guy, and it's his fans that annoy ppl more than Travis does!!

Actually I think he's a pretty good drummer who was extremely lucky to be in a band that became huge! He seems a nice guy, and it's his fans that annoy ppl more than Travis does!![/FONT]

Not wanting to appear a fanboy (God no), but from what i've learned of his history, he pulled himself up out of a life of emptying dustbins by woodshedding as hard as many other world famous drummer. It's because he practised his craft that he got to a standard higher than 'pretty good', and through talent more than luck joined Blink One Hundred and Eighty-two band (of course turning out to be by far the most talented member)

Don't get me wrong, the music he makes is on the whole boring and repetitive to me, but through the direction of a teacher, I got a chance to break down some of his licks and aspects of his playing, and saw that they require great amounts of speed, stamina and technique to pull off. Don't underestimate his ability as a drummer because of the music he makes.

I liked his work with the Aquabats, pre-182. If anything, I bet he was chosen to drum for blink because of the chops he displayed with the Aquabats

Not wanting to appear a fanboy (God no), but from what i've learned of his history, he pulled himself up out of a life of emptying dustbins by woodshedding as hard as many other world famous drummer. It's because he practised his craft that he got to a standard higher than 'pretty good', and through talent more than luck joined Blink One Hundred and Eighty-two band (of course turning out to be by far the most talented member)

Don't get me wrong, the music he makes is on the whole boring and repetitive to me, but through the direction of a teacher, I got a chance to break down some of his licks and aspects of his playing, and saw that they require great amounts of speed, stamina and technique to pull off. Don't underestimate his ability as a drummer because of the music he makes.
I wasn't criticising him bro; just making the point that anyone who is in a band that huge is extremely lucky, sadly musical talent seems to have no proportionate relation to musical success. Not that TB or Blink weren't talented guys, BUT we all know musicians who blow our minds, but don't achieve popular success.

i dont see anything special in travis barker's drumming. he only has one cool beat ive heard (adam's song) and the way that it's just chords in that song means that he has total freedom to play whatever he wants. other than that, everything ive heard him play sounds exactly the same. the drum solo i saw him do would hardly qualify as a drum solo from anyone else, it's just a couple extended fills and a very simplistic beat. I dont get why you guys all think hes so great...

I think Travis is an excellent drummer, and deserves all the credit he gets. I'm not saying he's THE best drummer, but I like his style. I'm a big fan of his drumming in the "early" years of Blink-182. Over all Travis is a good drummer, and with out a doubt, one of the best "punk-rock" drummers out there.

~ Remoking ~

Back