Your Favorite Alcohol High

I just tried the new Miller Fortune Lager. 6.9%. Ale strength lager, doesn't have that weird Malt liquor flavor to it, or that skunky, hoppy flavor associated with IPA beers (which I happen to like). A good US domestic indeed.

I used to be a good drinker, but like many here now not so much. I try to drink no more than 2 or 3 drinks. If I have more my sleep is affected.

Corona(perfect for the hot weather in Malaysia)
Gin and Tonic
Margarita
Sauvignon Black white wine from the Marlborough district in New Zealand
Champagne and Prosecco
Jaegermeister

thx

jorn

My favourite beer at the moment is a French beer called Desperados. It's actually a hybrid, has some tequila in it. Nice sweet beer. Corona is also decent.

Erdinger is a good, more traditional German beer which I like.

I drink the Irish cider Bulmers a good bit too, and Guinness.

I rarely drink though if I'm being honest, I don't get the whole obsession with alcohol in Ireland.

I don't like to get drunk. I sometimes have a glass of wine or a dark beer with dinner. I'd be perfectly happy with it if somehow the alcohol didn't effect me.

I prefer dark red wines like a pino noir. For the beer family, I like brown ales, porter and stout. I also like some of the Belgian beers that are almost like wine, with fruit.

Until "specialty" beers began to get popular in the USA (1980s), I had to rely on the British imports (at least the ones we could get). Some friends raved about Guiness stout but to me it was the Budweiser of stouts (Bud, Miller, Coors, etc., in my opinion, are beers made for people who don't like a flavorful beer but who do enjoy urinating). My preference for stouts were the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Imperial Stout. Also liked their Taddy Porter. Other popular items at the time included Whitbread Ale, Newcastle Brown Ale, Whatney's Red Barrel and Stingo Stout.

Fortunately, these days we have a top notch brewery in town that makes some excellent ales. The brewery dates from 1888 (The F X Matt Brewery) but they are mostly known for the award winning Saranac line of brews.

If it is really hot and I've been working outside and I am really thirsty....

I like ONE Ice Cold Guinness.

The 2nd one doesn't taste that good to me.

I like 100 proof bottled and bond bourbon and coke (room temp)
I like spiced 100 proof rum and coke (or juice)

Vodka... only if it's a Black Russian... did you know Vodka isn't made from potatoes anymore and hasn't been in decades? Sheesh...

I have never had a REAL Old Fashioned. I hear there's a place in town that actually makes them from scratch... I'll have to check that out one of these days.

Beer.... in a can. Why? Beer doesn't get skunked in a can and taste tests show that people can't tell. Cans transport so much better.

Wine... after years of living in SE Asia and the Western Pacific Islands my taste buds have been totally fried by hot peppers (we're talkin' HOT peppers).... which means that good, expensive wine is wasted on me. I'll have the cheapest 12% red you got... I mix it with lemon lime soda and have it Spritzer style.

How often do I drink? My cardiologist suggests 1 or 2 glasses per week. So, it's 1 or 2 glasses per week... sometimes I skip for a month or two but substitute dark grape juice or a chunck of dark chocolate if I'm thinkin' about it.

Now coffee on the other hand is a whole other subject....

I really love Weiss beer, and a few of the craft beers that have popped up in Cape Town over the past few years.
691085d5a0e9e886bd00a705d53f6553_zpsfebb5972.jpg

This has to be my favorite, the first craft beer I tasted, and I always come back to it. Just delicious, but it could have a longer lasting head.

Here's a cocktail I invented the other evening. I call it the Classic Clarkston:

3 ounces Jack Daniels
1 ounce Martini&Rossi
1 slice of lemon

Combine first two ingredients in blender, shake for 20 seconds.
Pour into an old fashioned glass filled with ice.
Squeeze lemon and drop into the glass.
Makes 1 cocktail.

It's pretty good.

speaking of creating things: I was taking a pint (Hansa) and my mate decided to put some whisky into my bottle much to my horror. I took a sip, and 'WOW!' it is flipping good! different, but good!

Back