Drummers Using a Metronome. A Helpful Questionnaire.

Filled it out, sounds more like a marketing questionnaire with the vibration device questions! BTW, there's already a wrist-worn device like that on the market now, and it's pretty unnatural to use.

Bermuda
My exact thoughts. I wish I had not filled it out now, the story seems like a scam.

The Russian Dragon* did precisely that back in the '80s, and I believe the Beat Bug also monitors tempo. LiveBPM is available on Apple & Android devices, and it even graphs the tempo variations. It has become the preferred tempo monitor for most drummers, and is sufficiently cheap at US$3.99. Also, I can tell when I'm with the click, I don't think I'd benefit from the visual anxiety of the inevitable few milliseconds difference.

However, the Accunome would make a good app - at least its core elements - as a cost-effective alternative to LiveBPM. That is, only charge $1.99.

Bermuda

* Rushin Draggin', get it?

My exact thoughts. I wish I had not filled it out now, the story seems like a scam.

Not a scam, just deceptive and harmless enough. I'd rather that someone simply say they're doing research to help design and market a product, as this latest person has done.

Bermuda

Ya I wrote that before I read his clarification but it still bugs me a bit. It would be much better in my eyes had he offered a disclaimer that stated he has no personal interest in any product that offers features as described in his survey.

The business project contains no fowl play and it's purely about the experience of creating a business venture and a possible product in something you're interesting in

Who said it was anything to do with birds? (Sorry, couldn't resist ;-) )

The joke's on them, the questions are usually so poorly formulated they can't be getting much meaningful information from them. They should hire a consultant, at very least to help write their survey.

That's the worst part, they're not asking the right questions, and/or not supplying sufficient response choices. I don't recall being able to answer any of these 'university' surveys in a completely accurate way.

But it's not limited to smart students... I just filled-out an online survey for a major drum magazine and it was hopelessly shortsighted on the questions and available responses, especially considering it's aimed at pros. I let them know that I couldn't accurately answer at least two of the questions, because the options weren't comprehensive enough.

Example: Q: Do you use your own drums in the studio? A: 1) Always, 2) Sometimes 3) Never. Obviously, there are other possible answers, but the options weren't given. As someone who brings my own gear to the studio 95% of the time, neither always or sometimes are accurate responses. If almost always and rarely had also been options, I would have been able to answer.

Bermuda

The Russian Dragon* did precisely that back in the '80s, and I believe the Beat Bug also monitors tempo. LiveBPM is available on Apple & Android devices, and it even graphs the tempo variations. It has become the preferred tempo monitor for most drummers, and is sufficiently cheap at US$3.99. Also, I can tell when I'm with the click, I don't think I'd benefit from the visual anxiety of the inevitable few milliseconds difference.

However, the Accunome would make a good app - at least its core elements - as a cost-effective alternative to LiveBPM. That is, only charge $1.99.

Bermuda

* Rushin Draggin', get it?
- Thanks for some very useful feedback! - The idea is indeed to develop an app in parallel to the hardware, as not everyone will need USD connectivity, a tuner and a metronome combined - perhaps more useful to the bass, guitar, and electronic keyboard end of the market. However, the device will let you know if you are on, ahead, or behind the beat (as would the app) which a BPM detector will not do . I can't tell you exactly how this is done, as still in the prototype phase, but it will be more user friendly than observing numbers! - The immediate response to this device has not been that encouraging, as it is difficult to not give too much away, but I still think there will be a market for this device, albeit a small one! - Thanks again!

I can see the extra features here be somewhat useful in a teachng situation.

However,...

I must of a sort of old school as I really don't need much other than a click.

The fact that we now have apps that all have tap tempo, time signatures, optional accents as well as muting rhythm training functions is a great luxury.

To be honest, what I often would like is just simply better sounds.

The solution for other skills is ear training with aid of recording oneself. I certainly find it useful to provide more visual tools for students that really can't hear stuff too well yet, but at this level I dunno. Roland pads have training features like that. To me they're more annoying than anything.

Last edited:
Regardless of the thread starter's intentions...

Whether it's on my person or close at hand, I'd like to be able to speak a tempo to a metronome and have it register immediately. I'd much prefer that to dialing in a tempo between songs and having your eyes down.

I don't know what the hell info they get from an answer of "sometimes." Hilarious. I'm sure often the point is just to get some clicks and hope people click on the advertising.

There isn't any useful information from the 'sometimes' option, except when it's differentiated from other usage, such as almost always or rarely or almost never. This was for a major drum magazine, and the participants were hand-selected pros! Unfortunately, the info they get is only as useful as the possible answers they provided.

Bermuda

Back