how do you mount your tambourine??

ENRICO

Silver Member
Hi , I want to add a tambourine to my set up , but I've been having doubts about its placemente . So , I'd like you to post a pic of how do you mount your tambourine : placement and mounting system .

thanks!

I've used one from time to time. No pics, but I'd clamp a cheap old boom arm off the HH stand, take the wing nut, felts and cymbal sleeve off and mount the tambourine to that. It sat just off to the left and slightly higher up than my hats.

The trick with tambourines is that whatever you mount them to, you will be playing the tambourine as well every time you hit it. So I mount mine separately from everything else, in the base of a basic snare stand, using an old cymbal tilter. This separates it from everything else on the kit, and was made from spare parts.

You can use an old cymbal stand, or, if you haven't got much equipment or space and you really need to mount it, put it on your hi-hat rod for now.

Attachments

• tamb1.jpg
    tamb1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 12,071
The trick with tambourines is that whatever you mount them to, you will be playing the tambourine as well every time you hit it. So I mount mine separately from everything else, in the base of a basic snare stand, using an old cymbal tilter. This separates it from everything else on the kit, and was made from spare parts.

You can use an old cymbal stand, or, if you haven't got much equipment or space and you really need to mount it, put it on your hi-hat rod for now.

sorry , but I did't get it .
the problem with tambourines is that they tend to resonate , so it's better to isolate as much as posible?

Reverse cowgirl...ha!

Actually I have a DST (can you guess what that's an acronym for?)

Comes with a clamp and a rod and a special tambourine with a reinforced striking area that mounts like a cowbell. It also comes w/ a small cowbell.

Just don't drink any milk that may come from the cowbell, lest you suffer and never know it.

as long as your tamborine has the a rod holder with wing nut i use one of these:

Attachments

• 252732.jpg
    252732.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 12,037
I mount mine in the singers right hand. I feel that the cow bell and the jam block is enough.
I have never mounted a tambourine on my kit.

I started using one about 2 years ago. They are a fun diversion, playing quarters on the tam rather than 8ths on the HH. They are so happy sounding, like banjos.

The trick with tambourines is that whatever you mount them to, you will be playing the tambourine as well every time you hit it.

This should drive you nuts...

jercrop.jpg

The clamp is basically one of these: (mine has a "u" shaped "l" rod...)

5646.jpg

Depending on how hard I stomp down varies how much it makes noise it makes.

Hey, some people *want* that extra tambourine rattle every time they stomp on their hi-hat. I'm just not one of them.

Yes, OP, I mean to say that if you want the tambourine sound isolated as much as possible, don't mount it on something you hit all the time, such as a hi-hat stand, on the same rod with a cowbell, etc.

OP, I mean to say that if you want the tambourine sound isolated as much as possible, don't mount it on something you hit all the time, such as a hi-hat stand, on the same rod with a cowbell, etc.

There's little doubt that this type of mounting will provide some level of spill. But I always found that the other instruments (including the hats) would negate this anyway......you just couldn't hear any tambo jingle, with all the other stuff going on.

Of course, this relates to live playing with others, not playing on my own and of course, anytime I recorded, there was no tambourine mounted. it was always overdubbed later on.

In no way do I disagree with your statement, in fact, I agree wholeheartedly......the only real way to avoid spill is to isolate the thing. But I believe it's effect is minimal in a band context.

In no way do I disagree with your statement, in fact, I agree wholeheartedly......the only real way to avoid spill is to isolate the thing. But I believe it's effect is minimal in a band context.

You are right about that. Especially amplified, in a loud and noisy bar, no reason not to mount it whereever. Recording, that's a whole nuther story. I have recorded using a mounted tambourine with the rest of the kit, but for songs I wasn't using it on, I took it off the kit entirely.

The absolute best recording method is to overdub, I agree. Complete isolation!

I use a mount to put it on the stand with my ride. It sits just under the ride and just above the first floor tom. No Tambourine jingle whatsoever.

EDIT: Well actually I do get some jingle, but I have a sizzle chain on the ride so it just mixes pretty well.

Last edited:
On top of the hi hat rod here. You get used to the little rattle after a while, sometimes it really sounds cool

I have the LP cyclops Tambourine. I mount it using a standard percussion mount off of my HH stand. I see no discern-able sympathetic vibration from normal HH use. I use it alot when doing a 16th double handed HH pattern...I will use my left hand on the HH and the right on the tambourine and snare back beats....(so in essence the right hand is doing quarter note hits on the tambourine)

Attachments

• 20452_1210586824557_1225329171_30612391_2512840_n.jpg
    20452_1210586824557_1225329171_30612391_2512840_n.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 14,293
  • hihat.jpg
    hihat.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 11,900
  • hi hat 2.jpg
    hi hat 2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 11,852
I use this clamped to my rack to mount an LP Rock Ridge Rider cowbell as far down the L-rod as it will go, then a Pearl tambourine above it on the same L-rod. I get no accidental crosstalk or rattle whatsoever- the 'rine only makes noise when I hit it. Check it out here.

Last edited:
i use a separate boom for the tamb and another separate boom for wind chimes. Any attempt to mix either with another stand caused too many isolation problems.

Back